Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #99
shawndean22

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
I am buying one, i was thinking of buying an M3, but ill just get one of these and a second car, Subaru legacy or something for commuting.
shawndean22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #100
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
OK, thanks. Figures, they want to take reservations without you knowing what it costs...Classic...lol
The dealers might have pricing information if you were to reserve one, but as far as the configurator, there aren't prices anywhere.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #101
BitRacer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I keep hearing that "purists" will stop buying. I don't believe it. They said the mustang moving to IRS was going to have similar results. It diddn't. For anyone really interested in performance this is a huge step forward. As much as I prefer a standard trans the new dual clutch automatics are just faster. It really come does to style vs substance and the C8 has substance. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty too. It seems like an uncompromising approach to performance is being favored here though and I love it.
BitRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #102
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitRacer View Post
I keep hearing that "purists" will stop buying. I don't believe it. They said the mustang moving to IRS was going to have similar results. It diddn't. For anyone really interested in performance this is a huge step forward. As much as I prefer a standard trans the new dual clutch automatics are just faster. It really come does to style vs substance and the C8 has substance. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty too. It seems like an uncompromising approach to performance is being favored here though and I love it.
If the Camaro has taught us anything, Its that Chevy will sacrifice customer desires to produce the best performing product period.
With the Camaro, they don't care if you can see, fit in the back seat, or carry any cargo..... So long as it performs. Sadly, most buyers value those other things a little bit more and as such, aren't as willing to buy the Camaro.

Now, Corvette buyers will have to decide if the inability to "feel connected" to the car is worth performance.
Given that there are people making those sacrifices already for the Corvette and Camaro, I suspect that they will keep doing so and that any who walk away, will be replaced by the cross shoppers that are willing to move to Corvette for the great price to performance ration over competing cars.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #103
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the looks/performance of the C8 might also have the opposite effect if you dont need 4 seats.an SS for 50k isnt going to look great next to the base vette for 60k.
Agreed. But see how many sell for $60k especially the first year or two. But with the 2020 LT1 you can get SS performance for $34,995. This fastest SS will come out of the gate already one of the best handling cars and lighter than the SS. It might just save the Camaro, but I doubt it.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #104
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
IMO, the cheap Camaro will be there for a while (alpha platform), but the ZL1, ZL1-1LE and maybe even the SS 1LE will all bow out to the base Vette or base Vette with something like a Club Sport package.

I really am thinking of getting a C8, basically stop putting any money into my SS, clean up some garage space, start using my GM card ($3000 off on the next GM product).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #105
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Agreed. But see how many sell for $60k especially the first year or two. But with the 2020 LT1 you can get SS performance for $34,995. This fastest SS will come out of the gate already one of the best handling cars and lighter than the SS. It might just save the Camaro, but I doubt it.
The LT1 comes with no performance cooling, no magnetic ride control and smaller tires so it’s lacking several performance features of the SS. Add that it’s only about 66lbs lighter.. fastest Camaro..not so much.. but the LT1 will be a nice V8 to mod or street model at a good price.

Also, The C8 Corvette In this area can be bought at window and they also are to order which means if the buyer wants a entry level model it can be bought for under $60,000.00

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #106
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
And from what I heard from others, they really gained a lot of interest with the C8. If they can really offer the performance they claim, I guess a lot of people will concider to go a bit over they budget for that crazy amount of performance increase. Even without Z51 Package the base Corvette will be in low 3s 0-60 times. Can't wait for first reviews on tracks. Guess Randy Pobst will crush a lot of times of other cars with the C8
GM says under 3.0 for the Vette
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #107
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
If the Camaro has taught us anything, Its that Chevy will sacrifice customer desires to produce the best performing product period.
With the Camaro, they don't care if you can see, fit in the back seat, or carry any cargo..... So long as it performs. Sadly, most buyers value those other things a little bit more and as such, aren't as willing to buy the Camaro.

Now, Corvette buyers will have to decide if the inability to "feel connected" to the car is worth performance.
Given that there are people making those sacrifices already for the Corvette and Camaro, I suspect that they will keep doing so and that any who walk away, will be replaced by the cross shoppers that are willing to move to Corvette for the great price to performance ration over competing cars.
Off the top of my head looks like only sports-super car that will have the man to machine connection is a 911.
But I think a DCT is a good compromise and I love manuals.

Last edited by 7speed; 07-22-2019 at 08:24 PM.
7speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #108
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
GM says under 3.0 for the Vette
The Z51 cars are quoted to go under 3 sec to 60, so a base car will be 3.0 or a slow 3.1 to 60 LOL
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #109
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Hasn't the Corvette been at least 70% automatics for years now? I don't see how you can be any more connected to the car than with that DCT transmission.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #110
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The Z51 cars are quoted to go under 3 sec to 60, so a base car will be 3.0 or a slow 3.1 to 60 LOL
point is it aint "low 3s". it is 3.0 or better... and we know that after a few miles and some skill, you can beat GM times. I think the Hellcat widebody did a 3.15, so yeh base model driven by an admin assistant is going to be force of nature. Just ain't gonna beat a mid engine car for traction... well maybe a rear engine but I always hated those.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #111
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Hasn't the Corvette been at least 70% automatics for years now? I don't see how you can be any more connected to the car than with that DCT transmission.
Maybe, the point is my M6 is probably the last performance car made that way and the auto is better in every performance parameter... unless "fun" is a performance parameter I think people are just yelling in the wind on the need for a manual.... its over.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #112
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I think the C8 is going to be a HUGE hit for Chevrolet. Not many base Corvettes will go for the under $60K figure. But even a base car with zero options is pretty appealing. Add the Z-51 package ,some other add on's and it's $70,000 + quickly.

I predict it will affect sales for quite a few performance cars.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote