#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Its a fair price for a low mileage original Impala. Impala SSs can demand more money since it is a rare breed that no longer is being made. They have a great powertrain and a nice v8 soundtrack. Of course, it isn't the fastest ride out there, and I would almost advise one to look at the more recent Chevy SS, as it has a more powerful powerplant, with better handling capabilities.

I'm assuming you've been tracking the price the Chevy SS is going for right?

Decent mileage (doesn't have to be super low) examples are going for mid 30s or more. When I bought my 2016 Camaro SS at the end of 2015, I remember seeing some SS cars on dealer lots. They were not selling, so they were marked WAY under MSRP. I could have bought one for basically the same price that I spent on my 1SS Camaro (roughly 38K after the little $1,500 discount I got on it which at the time was good). Assuming I had bought the SS instead, and put similar miles on it as my Camaro has now, it would be worth MORE than I had paid for it originally.

If only I could go back and convince myself to buy the SS. But it wasn't as exciting to look at (although with a few quick mods I think they look great...and being rare helps a lot too), and it was still using the LS3 instead of the LT1 that my Camaro has. Those things made it easy for me to overlook the SS at the time.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #16
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
94 95 96

At one time I had all three years! From 94 until 08 I owned a total of SIX of the Impala SS, loved the ride.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
^ gotta agree with you on that one - why have a car if not to drive it and enjoy it?
Agree. Same to buy a horse, put it in the pasture, feed it, and never ride it. Other problems occur such as rubber parts deteriorate, etc. I'm pretty sure that old Henry Ford sat around with this guys and said, "Let's build a car and then people can put in in their garage and save it for later.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #18
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Decent mileage (doesn't have to be super low) examples are going for mid 30s or more. When I bought my 2016 Camaro SS at the end of 2015, I remember seeing some SS cars on dealer lots. They were not selling, so they were marked WAY under MSRP. I could have bought one for basically the same price that I spent on my 1SS Camaro (roughly 38K after the little $1,500 discount I got on it which at the time was good). Assuming I had bought the SS instead, and put similar miles on it as my Camaro has now, it would be worth MORE than I had paid for it originally.

If only I could go back and convince myself to buy the SS. But it wasn't as exciting to look at (although with a few quick mods I think they look great...and being rare helps a lot too), and it was still using the LS3 instead of the LT1 that my Camaro has. Those things made it easy for me to overlook the SS at the time.
It’s a shame they stopped making them.

I originally wanted an SS, but couldn’t find any but one close by. It was a 16 with 30K miles & they wanted more than I paid for my 18 1SS. My wife was actually the one that suggested a Camaro.

I’ve always liked the utilitarian nature of 4drs with decent power.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #19
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I still have my 95 DGGM. under 60K on the clock and mostly stock. It has been sitting for years though. The 4L60E gave out on it. (Surprise, huh? A B-body with a bad tranny)

Had it rebuilt, but life got in the way so she has been sitting for way too long.

Then there is her evil sister, a 94 caprice that has had everything done to her (stroked 396 LT1, T56, 4.10's) lol. Before she went full strip it would be a toss up who would win vs our 6 gen. She is now a full on drag queen, but is sitting too.

*Sigh* In their day there wasn't much that could touch them. I made so many fox body guys cry.

Fortunately, life is finally turning around and I might be able to get them both rolling again.

Deputy, where you on the Impala forums back in the day?

Oh... DCM was my first choice too. I got a pretty good deal on the DGGM and it was the lowest production # (5K) so I went with it.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
I still have my 95 DGGM. under 60K on the clock and mostly stock. It has been sitting for years though. The 4L60E gave out on it. (Surprise, huh? A B-body with a bad tranny)

Had it rebuilt, but life got in the way so she has been sitting for way too long.

Then there is her evil sister, a 94 caprice that has had everything done to her (stroked 396 LT1, T56, 4.10's) lol. Before she went full strip it would be a toss up who would win vs our 6 gen. She is now a full on drag queen, but is sitting too.

*Sigh* In their day there wasn't much that could touch them. I made so many fox body guys cry.

Fortunately, life is finally turning around and I might be able to get them both rolling again.

Deputy, where you on the Impala forums back in the day?

Oh... DCM was my first choice too. I got a pretty good deal on the DGGM and it was the lowest production # (5K) so I went with it.
Yes, I was on the Impala SS Forum for a good many years! Made many friends there and to this day I am in touch with a few.

Larry
Old 11-23-2020, 06:43 AM   #21
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

LOL!

We've probably been talking for years then!
Old 11-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Of course I have. I wouldn't make a recommendation without knowing what the prevailing market value is. First of all recall that we are comparing the Impala vs. the 'SS sedan, not the 'SS vs. Camaro or other vehicles. The 'SS is/was at least 2x the msrp of the Impala, for valid reasons. One, there is twenty years between the two sedans, so you have to account for some inflation. Two; The Impala benefits from a full perimeter frame, however the 'SS has improved suspension tuning, steering and handling advantages. The 'SS also had magnetic shocks added as an option, further improving handling. The 'SS also included a manual shift option. We are not even mentioning the wide advantage between powertrains, starting at 260 hp for the Impala vs. 418 hp for the 'SS. Technological improvements were enjoyed with the 'SSs powertrain as well. All of these goodies cost something; Even used the 'SS is pricey, but it is a fast, well handling and luxurious ride. One should be aware of other car possibilities aside from the Impala unless one is a strict '94-'96 Impala SS fan.

TrailBlazer SS is another similar option to consider with more power, good handling, towing and cargo advantages. It might be harder to find a low mileage and well cared for TBSS, as these were well driven and fairly abused since 2008.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #23
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
The Numbers

1996 Chevy Impala SS MSRP: $24,905

$24,905 in 2014 accounting for inflation: $37,577.50

2014 Chevy SS MSRP: $44,470

Old 11-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #24
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

The imp

The Caprice

Caprice 396 street motor
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #25
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Every time I see one of these, I think there is still a segment of enthusiasts who would buy one of these types of cars brand new in 2020 in a heartbeat: front V8 pushrod engine, rear wheel drive, full perimeter frame (not unibody) with a full sized back seat and 16 cubic foot trunk, that's fast and fun to drive, and super smooth and comfortable for everyone.

It may not be able to be a high production car given general automotive tastes today, and it may be a bit more expensive than a regular front drive family sedan or SUV, but there's a segment of enthusiasts who'd buy one.

The SS Sedan was close, but even that I think was limited in what I'm talking about. Not by it's price so much as it's size and durability - I actually don't think it was big enough or strong enough, and it wasn't the kind of car you could just beat up and wouldn't break. The 90s B-Body was huge and full framed and every component on that chassis was like a tank. Just like the Ford Panthers. Taxis and police could rack up 200,000+ miles of abusive, harsh driving on them (as well as hundreds or thousands of hours of idle time) with nothing more than routine maintenance.

GM and Ford need just ONE of those cars in their lineups again. Just a big old steel sled of a tank that you can burn rubber with the whole family and all their gear packed in comfortably and you don't feel a single bump in the road, and you can fly over rail road tracks at 60 and not feel a thing.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #26
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

The funny part is they weren't really that heavy. The fully loaded Impala weighs as much as a GT500. (4000lbs).

My Caprice (9C1) got stripped down to 3500-3600 lbs with driver. It has a fiberglass hood, but the rest is steel, has factory glass, dash, and inner fenders.
When it was on the street it was 3700-3800. A/C-heat, radio, factory wiring, seats, etc. Pretty much the same weight and hp as the current Camaro

I would of bought an SS. I didn't like all the electronic crap in it. And, I hate all the electronic crap in the Gen6.
The Caprice had 455/m6 back in the day and I missed having that performance on the street. THIS is one of the reasons I bought a Camaro.

The B-bodies were way underrated because they just looked so big.

As far as a comeback? I think it could happen. The police, taxi, fleet market loved these cars and that kept the Impala alive.
Quite a few were bummed when GM axed it because the Vickie sucked. Even the Mercury Marauder that came out was a dog performance wise.

The 9C1 was the backbone of the WX3. The Impala just got all the fancy stuff. And there was/is a market for both.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
Deputy347k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The funny part is they weren't really that heavy. The fully loaded Impala weighs as much as a GT500. (4000lbs).

My Caprice (9C1) got stripped down to 3500-3600 lbs with driver. It has a fiberglass hood, but the rest is steel, has factory glass, dash, and inner fenders.
When it was on the street it was 3700-3800. A/C-heat, radio, factory wiring, seats, etc. Pretty much the same weight and hp as the current Camaro

I would of bought an SS. I didn't like all the electronic crap in it. And, I hate all the electronic crap in the Gen6.
The Caprice had 455/m6 back in the day and I missed having that performance on the street. THIS is one of the reasons I bought a Camaro.

The B-bodies were way underrated because they just looked so big.

As far as a comeback? I think it could happen. The police, taxi, fleet market loved these cars and that kept the Impala alive.
Quite a few were bummed when GM axed it because the Vickie sucked. Even the Mercury Marauder that came out was a dog performance wise.

The 9C1 was the backbone of the WX3. The Impala just got all the fancy stuff. And there was/is a market for both.

I am quite sure we have swapped many stories and ideas over the years, especially on the Impala Forum. God bless my friend.

One of the most exciting times for me when a LEO was when I got one of the very first 94 Caprice 9C1 cruisers! Compared to my 93 this was a rocket, EVOC driving was ten fold better and top end was outstanding. Weak link was the tranny. I was fortunate to have had the 94, 95 and 96 9C1 cruisers. Kept the 96 the longest as I continually eluded the Lt's request to turn the darn car in for my newly issued Ford Crown Vic.... everything about the Ford was a downhill disaster but we had to have them because it was the only rear wheel drive that matched our EVOC training. The 9C1 was the start of my addiction!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #28
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Love those impalas and wanted one for so long. Funny but never thought cars from my teens and 20’s would become collectors cars. I’m getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote