Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 03-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #57
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Commuters drive EVs and are more often than not absorbed in doing something other than driving when they get behind the wheel.

Those of us who identify as 'drivers' will never settle for an EV, they have no soul.
Ummmm computers drive your ICE as well. No real difference between the two. The only difference is rotating mass and the Infiniti in of fuel. Most ICEs have computers controlling everything ANN EV does, short of a true manual which offers one level of engagement.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #58
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Don't mind EVs. Don't want a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger EV, at all.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #59
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ummmm computers drive your ICE as well. No real difference between the two. The only difference is rotating mass and the Infiniti in of fuel. Most ICEs have computers controlling everything ANN EV does, short of a true manual which offers one level of engagement.
He said commuters To your point on electronic control systems, that is the inevitable aspect, but there is an entire design space to how these are implemented, a computer system could just as well be designed to augment and enhance human engagement rather than take it all away. Operating a manual gearbox is one possible aspect of engagement, but not the only one, an intelligent system can easily allow human overrides for everything instead of forcing a one size fits all (aka "cheaper and safer") approach.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #60
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Im' ordering my electro Camaro with the anonymous Self drive option. Why would I want to drive my own Camaro when it can be done for my lazy ass.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #61
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
He said commuters To your point on electronic control systems, that is the inevitable aspect, but there is an entire design space to how these are implemented, a computer system could just as well be designed to augment and enhance human engagement rather than take it all away. Operating a manual gearbox is one possible aspect of engagement, but not the only one, an intelligent system can easily allow human overrides for everything instead of forcing a one size fits all (aka "cheaper and safer") approach.
Seriously LOL on that one. iPhone without my readers.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #62
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Been a while since I've been here. Saw the news about the teaser and thought I'd see what everyone on this site thought about it. Have a few thoughts I'd like to share. I'm sure these won't be very popular with everybody, but I hope we can continue to hold a civilized discussion about the topic either way. I tend to write a lot, I'm sorry. I'll try to use bullet points to make it easier.

1. I own a 2017 2SS manual, which I absolutely love and plan on keeping forever. If anything, I would *maybe* trade it in for a ZL1 with a manual someday if it weren't for the new taillights.

2. After news that there would be no 7th Gen, my plan was to get a C8 as my next car. I only state this because some people seem to feel that your opinion holds more value here if you own a Camaro already or already love and get the appeal of Chevy performance cars (I don't agree with that myself).

3. I have personally driven a Tesla Model S P100D and I tried out the "Ludicrous Plus Mode" for myself. It was so stinkin fast. And also absolutely boring somehow. I got back into my Camaro afterwards and I was perfectly happy with it still. Even the Tesla employees (who all went and stood near my car) watched me get into my car, and gave me thumbs up when I started it.

Important Considerations:

4. GM has already announced their plan to go *fully* electric. They also had a big press event like 2 days ago about this. This is just happening and that's that.

5. There is an interview where Tadge talks about how the Corvette fits into this (his last one on Autoline After Hours), and he doesn't shy away from saying that yes, even the Corvette will follow this plan someday. Probably the C9, I don't know.

6. Even some Corvette owners are excited to see this someday (well at least for the upcoming hybrid one, but not everyone is hating on the idea of a fully electric Corvette over there).

7. The Tesla Model S Plaid and the Roadster 2 are electric cars that are specifically made for track use and speed. They are even testing the first one there on The 'Ring and early rumors and whispers are that it's absolutely crushing it.

8. Tesla just released a "Track Mode v2" for their Model 3 car, and it seems really impressive. There are a lot of videos on Youtube of people getting to try it out and all of them seem really happy. You can adjust which wheels the power goes to and by how much, change presets for different tracks, and get new wheels and brakes.

So. I've been thinking about this A LOT for the past few months, and I have decided that my next car will be electric. But I'm keeping my Camaro forever. Nothing can replace what it means to me or how much I enjoy it. If the Camaro as we think of it is done for, I'm open to the idea of the name continuing on somehow. I also really like the idea of an affordable electric sports car that may be named something else. If it looks good, I'll take it, even if it has a different name. If not, I'll save up extra and get a Model S.

Tesla's aren't cars, in my opinion. They are really really neat appliances. Sadly, cars are going away, and are being replaced with these really really neat appliances. This is similar to how the "cell phone" was essentially replaced by "smart phones" when the iPhone was revealed. The Tesla brand is disruptive to the automotive industry in the same way the first ever iPhone was disruptive to "cell phones" that we used to have. With time comes change and that's just life. I'm not going to fight change. I'm going to keep what I love and still be open to the change at the same time.

I am someone who obsessively loves my current V8 stick shift car. That being said, I would really like to see what an electric Camaro can be. I hope Al O. has been overseeing that. Guess we'll find out.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #63
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Been a while since I've been here. Saw the news about the teaser and thought I'd see what everyone on this site thought about it. Have a few thoughts I'd like to share. I'm sure these won't be very popular with everybody, but I hope we can continue to hold a civilized discussion about the topic either way. I tend to write a lot, I'm sorry. I'll try to use bullet points to make it easier.

1. I own a 2017 2SS manual, which I absolutely love and plan on keeping forever. If anything, I would *maybe* trade it in for a ZL1 with a manual someday if it weren't for the new taillights.

2. After news that there would be no 7th Gen, my plan was to get a C8 as my next car. I only state this because some people seem to feel that your opinion holds more value here if you own a Camaro already or already love and get the appeal of Chevy performance cars (I don't agree with that myself).

3. I have personally driven a Tesla Model S P100D and I tried out the "Ludicrous Plus Mode" for myself. It was so stinkin fast. And also absolutely boring somehow. I got back into my Camaro afterwards and I was perfectly happy with it still. Even the Tesla employees (who all went and stood near my car) watched me get into my car, and gave me thumbs up when I started it.

Important Considerations:

4. GM has already announced their plan to go *fully* electric. They also had a big press event like 2 days ago about this. This is just happening and that's that.

5. There is an interview where Tadge talks about how the Corvette fits into this (his last one on Autoline After Hours), and he doesn't shy away from saying that yes, even the Corvette will follow this plan someday. Probably the C9, I don't know.

6. Even some Corvette owners are excited to see this someday (well at least for the upcoming hybrid one, but not everyone is hating on the idea of a fully electric Corvette over there).

7. The Tesla Model S Plaid and the Roadster 2 are electric cars that are specifically made for track use and speed. They are even testing the first one there on The 'Ring and early rumors and whispers are that it's absolutely crushing it.

8. Tesla just released a "Track Mode v2" for their Model 3 car, and it seems really impressive. There are a lot of videos on Youtube of people getting to try it out and all of them seem really happy. You can adjust which wheels the power goes to and by how much, change presets for different tracks, and get new wheels and brakes.

So. I've been thinking about this A LOT for the past few months, and I have decided that my next car will be electric. But I'm keeping my Camaro forever. Nothing can replace what it means to me or how much I enjoy it. If the Camaro as we think of it is done for, I'm open to the idea of the name continuing on somehow. I also really like the idea of an affordable electric sports car that may be named something else. If it looks good, I'll take it, even if it has a different name. If not, I'll save up extra and get a Model S.

Tesla's aren't cars, in my opinion. They are really really neat appliances. Sadly, cars are going away, and are being replaced with these really really neat appliances. This is similar to how the "cell phone" was essentially replaced by "smart phones" when the iPhone was revealed. The Tesla brand is disruptive to the automotive industry in the same way the first ever iPhone was disruptive to "cell phones" that we used to have. With time comes change and that's just life. I'm not going to fight change. I'm going to keep what I love and still be open to the change at the same time.

I am someone who obsessively loves my current V8 stick shift car. That being said, I would really like to see what an electric Camaro can be. I hope Al O. has been overseeing that. Guess we'll find out.
I believe, based on a post from AO, he has been working on the GMC Hummer. Doesn't rule out Camaro work, but he posted the teaser photo of the Hummer and stated, "see what I've been doing for the last year"
Old 03-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #64
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

This is a great discussion and we will be having it more and more frequently, I suspect.

As some of you recall, I had a 2014 Chevy SS (sedan). I moved on from it and have 2017 Buick Lacrosse. In every sense of the driving experience, the Lacrosse is a better, more enjoyable car to drive every day. Of course my Lacrosse has the up level Linked H-arm rear suspension and HiPer strut front suspension, MR shocks, more safety equipment, better instrumentation, etc. That and my Lacrosse averages 8 mpg better for my commute (not compute LOL). However, not a week goes by that I don't miss that car. Not for it's handling, because for the spirited driving I do (no where near 10/10ths) my LaCrosse is actually a fun car to drive. It's simply the sound and feel of the LS3 V8 and the 100 HP that brings to the rear wheels compared to the 3.6L V6. And I also realize it is purely emotional.

Will an EV ever achieve that character in a driving experience? I don't know, but my guess is Tesla isn't trying to, but GM might.

Now it would be easy to do with sound affects and an off balance rotating mass, but that wouldn't be "genuine".

But the most interesting thing in this discussion is that when we talk comparisons to Mustang or Challenger, it's about 0-60 times, track times, and other measurables. But when the same audience compares to EVs, we get comments like, "it's not about the 0 - 60 times, it's about the experience".
Old 03-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #65
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
He said commuters To your point on electronic control systems, that is the inevitable aspect, but there is an entire design space to how these are implemented, a computer system could just as well be designed to augment and enhance human engagement rather than take it all away.
Computers can only synthesize physical reality. It's 'artificial', just like in artificial intelligence. Pumping "engine sounds" through the infotainment system is one such example that already exists. An example that isn't being met with universal acceptance, to say the least. The OEMs may keep hammering away at doing such things "electronically", but they still won't be making the experience "real". More like a video game in still more respects . . . and we'll wonder why people will be taking driving even less seriously than they do now.

Norm
Old 03-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #66
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
Just call it......3.......2.......1....... eCamaro
cool,as long as its not an SUV want to be like the mach e
Old 03-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #67
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I believe, based on a post from AO, he has been working on the GMC Hummer. Doesn't rule out Camaro work, but he posted the teaser photo of the Hummer and stated, "see what I've been doing for the last year"
Hey, Number 3! How’ve you been?

And yes, his post does seem to point to the Hummer EV. I also saw that May 20th is specifically about the first Hummer. Lots of neat info there so far.

I believe Al O. was moved over to oversee electric vehicle programs, as in more than one and not just the Hummer EV. If that’s true, and if they really are making an electric affordable sports car, I really hope he was as closely involved as he reasonably could be. But I have a feeling that we are going to have to wait a long time to find out.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #68

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I hope EV buyers of so-called performance models, and the up-coming Hummer and possible EV Camaro, do their homework before jumping in. As usual, the EV performance hype comes from a Tesla priced at over a 100K, which can give you the glorified 0-60 time maybe once or twice a day....Or get that 0-60 more than a few times a day with a 200K plus EV Porsche...Wowee...What gives these EVs their draw for customers to purchase is a mystery to me.

The Chevy and GM offerings will likely run out of juice in the so-called performance mode of 0-60 quicker than my kids new battery operated remote control cars from 25 years ago. Hummer is suggesting three different batteries to choose from?...Gee, I wonder how much the bally-hooed 0-60 performance one will cost?

Interestingly this 0-60 is being promoted as the ultimate must have quality on all cars these days, gas or electric. Most likely because it's the only real feature worth mentioning in EVs and only available on ridiculously expensive ones at that is the 0-60 time.

The novelty of an all electric launch will soon wear off, and you'll be stuck with a garden variety EV that may rival a freshly charged golf cart at your local course. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #69
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Al O was transferred to oversight of EV engineering, not specifically the Hummer, but since that is the first major EV on the new platform being released, it makes sense that he would have been focusing on that one heavily. The architecture is flexible, so the cost of bringing a sports coupe to market later will be lower. Hummer is first because big bad SUVs are hot. But all the tech they developed will go into the next gen Camaro. And I'm sure he'll be involved somehow. He'll probably show up on the forums in a couple years with a cryptic message about an exciting new car he's been working on
Old 03-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #70
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
From the profile of the ev camaro they teased, it looks like its gonna be a 4 door crossover/sedan. Looks like GM will be making a competitor to the mustang EV.

Closed Thread