Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Question about ZL1 1LE mules (potential Z/28)

So the ZL1 1LE as we know it has all the aero bits and what not that we expected for the Z/28. And there was the test mule that had the carbon ceramic brakes equipped with no 1LE wing earlier this year. But the headlights.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...en-spy-photos/

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/20...rning-howl-to/

Those are obviously base model 2.0T / V6 headlights. Not RS headlights.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...z28-successor/

Is this a silly thing to note? The 5th gen Z/28 had the non-RS lights, and the ZL1 mules in 2011 I think had the final model RS lights from the get go. That seems like a very strange thing for GM to not be concerned about.

If I'm wrong or its been talked about before, you know, ignore me. I just haven't seen it brought up frequently and I skim through occasionally.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
So the ZL1 1LE as we know it has all the aero bits and what not that we expected for the Z/28. And there was the test mule that had the carbon ceramic brakes equipped with no 1LE wing earlier this year. But the headlights.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...en-spy-photos/

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/20...rning-howl-to/

Those are obviously base model 2.0T / V6 headlights. Not RS headlights.

Is this a silly thing to note? The 5th gen Z/28 had the non-RS lights, and the ZL1 mules in 2011 I think had the final model RS lights from the get go. That seems like a very strange thing for GM to not be concerned about.

If I'm wrong or its been talked about before, you know, ignore me. I just haven't seen it brought up frequently and I skim through occasionally.
Don't get what your saying, but the last Z/28 came with non RS headlights, ZL1 got the RS lights.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
It’s simple marketing just like the Corvette ZR1 that just came out... make something incredible that is also cheap for what it does and it WILL sell. Chevy has all the parts in the bin to make a Z28 with LT5 engine. Just needs a bigger wing and even more serious aero and voila, a monster Camaro mirroring Corvette ZR1 performance ready to be MSRP’d at 79k-84k.

The ZR1 already destroys the ZL1 in a drag race, Al O said himself it would be nice to complete the Nurnburgring in under 7... what does that tell you?

It’s going to happen guys. Corvette ZR1 just needs a year on it’s own before they’ll drop an LT5 Camaro. They aren’t going to let Dodge and Ford step all over them.

Just pray it doesn’t use the horrendous 2019 front end.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringBirdAloha View Post
It’s simple marketing just like the Corvette ZR1 that just came out... make something incredible that is also cheap for what it does and it WILL sell. Chevy has all the parts in the bin to make a Z28 with LT5 engine. Just needs a bigger wing and even more serious aero and voila, a monster Camaro mirroring Corvette ZR1 performance ready to be MSRP’d at 79k-84k.

The ZR1 already destroys the ZL1 in a drag race, Al O said himself it would be nice to complete the Nurnburgring in under 7... what does that tell you?

It’s going to happen guys. Corvette ZR1 just needs a year on it’s own before they’ll drop an LT5 Camaro. They aren’t going to let Dodge and Ford step all over them.

Just pray it doesn’t use the horrendous 2019 front end.
Until the ZR1 officially laps the ring under 7 I wouldn't get my hopes for the Camaro doing it.

Also Al O said the last gen the Z/28 needs/is/will be powered NA. Unless they decide to ditch that I don't see the LT5 showing up in a Z/28.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
That hood looks very similar the the LT5 ZR1 hoods in the first R&T link.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Don't get what your saying, but the last Z/28 came with non RS headlights, ZL1 got the RS lights.
Yeah. That's my point. The "ZL1 1LE" mules with carbon ceramic brakes have non-RS lights. Just like the previous mule that crashed on the Nurburgring. Z/28 mules had non-RS lights, like the production model. 5th gen ZL1 mules had RS lights, like the production models.

i.e. I posted links that show "ZL1 1LE" mules with non-RS headlights and the final ZL1 obviously has RS headlights.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Man, I really hope you're onto something here... GM can do it, but will they?...
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

I've been wrong before. But it certainly seems weird unless they're going to release an enhanced ZL1 1LE package in likeness to the ZR1 ZTK, and even that is apples to oranges because the ZR1 has carbon ceramic brakes stock and the ZTK is basically just a ZR1 1LE.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Just out of curiosity, any other name plates or RPO codes Camaro team could blow the dust off of instead of using the Z/28 again?
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Unfortunately, I think the headline of this article pretty much accurately sums up the situation.

At this point I don't see GM making an LS7 type N/A engine again.

Unless they drop in the LT5, going against the Z/28 is N/A philosophy, into the ZL1 1LE, or put the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis, which I don't see either happening, Z/28 is probably going to skip this generation.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Yeah, for clarification, I wasn't trying to get anyone's hopes up, I personally am confident a Z/28 won't appear. But if the GT500 has another 80 or so horsepower lead on the ZL1 like the 5th generations did, I'm kinda interested in what GM may or may not pull out. I don't think anything will touch the ZR1 (other than the Ford GT) which leads me to believe it has enough of a lead for another slightly higher tier Camaro potentially but I'm not dead set on believing one will exist. The carbon ceramic brake mule is interesting though. They're definitely planning something, small or large.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Yeah, for clarification, I wasn't trying to get anyone's hopes up, I personally am confident a Z/28 won't appear. But if the GT500 has another 80 or so horsepower lead on the ZL1 like the 5th generations did, I'm kinda interested in what GM may or may not pull out. I don't think anything will touch the ZR1 (other than the Ford GT) which leads me to believe it has enough of a lead for another slightly higher tier Camaro potentially but I'm not dead set on believing one will exist. The carbon ceramic brake mule is interesting though. They're definitely planning something, small or large.

The LT5 would certainly make it an interesting ride. Don't think it will happen though.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
GM isn’t going to respond to anything.

The Camaro is what it is. GM doesn’t really care how it does, relative to the competition.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #14
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
LT5 won't go into the Z28, perhaps the ZL1 one day. Z28 will be naturally aspirated as per a very well known Chevrolet Chief Engineer. NA only on his watch, and rightly so. The Z28 has always been NA. I will NEVER forget my first ride in the original LT1 Z28.

When Chevy works the bugs out of the LT6 (unlike the debacle of a competitors rush to push the Voodoo' into production), and a year or two after the C8 release, I believe that we will see the new Chevy DOHC NA in the resurrection of the Z28. Complete with DSSV, CCBS option, plenty of delete options and lots of aluminum and some CF.