Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #71
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
It’s where Zora Duntov wanted to take the car over 50 years ago, but GM either didn’t listen, didn’t care, or didn’t have the resources/money every time it was brought up. GM is a business, and it seems good for business to shift the Corvette to a mid-engine layout. The Corvette engineers are happy, the Camaro engineers are happy, and the consumers are happy. However, they did start mid-engine development before the bankruptcy, so I guess the Camaro wasn’t that big of a factor at that point. No matter what, the Camaro will improve greatly with the next generation thanks to the C8 Corvette.
Zora has been dead for a long time and Tadge is in charge of the program today, so they choices being made are based on what Tadge wants and not what Zora wants.

The Corvette isn't the limiting factor for Camaro performance today and hasn't been the case for a number of years now.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #72
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Exactly about the "streetability". You could daily drive a Z/28 provided you avoid the rain if you still have the Trofeo's. The magazine guys make it sound like it's a death machine on the road. Far from it, and the LS7 is incredible.

Take a 6th gen. Add a 580hp N/A LT1-variant engine that can pull to 7500 rpm. Add the exact carbon brakes from the 5th gen Z/28. Tweak the DSSV's from the 5th gen Z/28. Add carbon wheels, and gut it like they did the 5th gen Z/28. Get it around 3550lbs, and it will eat a ZL1-1LE alive at every track. Parts-bin shop the car with 5th gen parts to keep the cost in check. Build 500 of them. Keep the price at $75k.
Then they shoot themselves in the foot by making the more expensive ZLE obsolete with higher performing car that costs less. I also don't think they could gut it down to that weight with out using some exotic/expensive materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Zora has been dead for a long time and Tadge is in charge of the program today, so they choices being made are based on what Tadge wants and not what Zora wants.

The Corvette isn't the limiting factor for Camaro performance today and hasn't been the case for a number of years now.
Yes and no. I would say Camaro isn't "held back intentionally" anymore but they are still "handcuffed" by Corvette. Camaro still has to use whatever engine is developed for Corvette
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #73
AMINEAT

Drives: MUSTANG
Maybe they want to give the new mid-engine Corvette the spot-light for a while before there is a new Z/28. Lucky Patcher Kodi nox ...

Last edited by AMINEAT; 11-26-2019 at 01:22 PM.
AMINEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #74
2020 RG LT1 1/174

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro LT1
Cool GM went ‘down,’ not up when looking to new models

Lots of great comments about the viability of a potential new Z/28, truly. But Chevy had a different idea on how to squeeze a few more buyers out of the Camaro fan base, that idea? The LT1. I know right!! How confusing is it to have a 1LT optioned ‘Ro and a LT1 option? I get questions all the time about what my car is. Is it an LT1? A 6cyl? What? It’s what many here hoped the Z/28 would be, a stripped down version of a higher model. The LT1 is built on the same premise. Take a higher model, the SS, strip of the things most drivers don’t want or need, reflag it, and see what happens. The LT1 is a street focused SS without the ‘track’ features, but with all the power.

I too would love to see a new Z because the badge is a true icon in muscle car lore. Unfortunately, GM finally understands price-point, market position, and their best shot a new buyers: the Z/28 would be too gimmicky, but that won’t stop me front wanting to see one being made!
Attached Images

2020 RG LT1 1/174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #75
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020 RG LT1 1/174 View Post
The LT1 is a dragstrip and street focused SS without the ‘track’ features, but with all the power.
FIFY

It's the best dragstrip v8 trim in the lineup. It's lighter and the smaller rear end caliper makes adding a drag pack easy. No point in paying SS money to get a badge and then throw away the rear end brakes. You're going to be taking more parts off the SS off the car than the LT1. When you're in the 9s, nobody cares what the trim plate says. They just say whoah that's a bad ass Camaro.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #76
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
Maybe they’ll bring it back someday… Of course at that point, it’ll be called E/28 (for obvious reasons)
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote