Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
bluebeetle

Drives: Accord Sport 2015
Why did you take a 2.0L Turbo over the V6?

Hi,

Thinking about the 1LT 2.0L Turbo due to my DD (our winters are are more like Fall due to global warming) and the price point (I can add stuff to equal the price of a 2LT).

Just wanting to know your reasons for buying the 2.0L Turbo instead of v6 amidst the issues the Ecoboost Mustang and ATS 2.0L Turbo had.

Thanks!
bluebeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
BadBillyJack

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
You should drive them both and then make your decision. I have a 2SS because it's what I wanted. If my only options were the 2.0t and the v6, Personally... I would take the 2.0t all day long. It's a really impressive engine.

Also i'm jaded by the 3.6 v6's with their stretching timing chains and their worn out timing chain tensioners, dropped valves, bad injectors, leaking front covers. But this is all from 5th gen camaro's, Traverse's, Impala's and such. But don't let the last generation 3.6 deter you from the "all new" revised 3.6 v6's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The fact remains, the Camaro designers have another fail in not transferring the clothes hanger from the ATS to the Camaro.
I, and every other Camaro owner that hangs clothes in their cars, need a solution.
BadBillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
You should drive them both and then make your decision. I have a 2SS because it's what I wanted. If my only options were the 2.0t and the v6, Personally... I would take the 2.0t all day long. It's a really impressive engine.

Also i'm jaded by the 3.6 v6's with their stretching timing chains and their worn out timing chain tensioners, dropped valves, bad injectors, leaking front covers. But this is all from 5th gen camaro's, Traverse's, Impala's and such. But don't let the last generation 3.6 deter you from the "all new" revised 3.6 v6's.
Most of the problems you mentioned are from poor or improper maintenance or installation of aftermarket parts the timing chains only affected 2010's and maybe a few very early 2011 V6's. I'm not saying everyones issue was mod or maintenance related god I know the factory can screw the pooch at GM time and again.

OP personally the V6 is not a shabby car I had a 5th Gen 2LS and it hauled ass with minimal mods and I never had a tune others in my club can attest that my car wasn't slow and I never once had an issue with it. I just traded it in for an I4 and I went with the I4 for a few reasons a few being the aftermarket scene for the I4 is going to trump anything the V6 will produce it isn't a slouch in any area I test drove both the manual and auto-8 speed it boils down to what you like the most I know the I4 with a basic tune will easily out torque a V6 at the wheels.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
BadBillyJack

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Most of the problems you mentioned are from poor or improper maintenance or installation of aftermarket parts the timing chains only affected 2010's and maybe a few very early 2011 V6's. I'm not saying everyones issue was mod or maintenance related god I know the factory can screw the pooch at GM time and again.
I was speaking from first hand experience at a Chevrolet dealership. Your experience may differ from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
The fact remains, the Camaro designers have another fail in not transferring the clothes hanger from the ATS to the Camaro.
I, and every other Camaro owner that hangs clothes in their cars, need a solution.
BadBillyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
I was speaking from first hand experience at a Chevrolet dealership. Your experience may differ from mine.
I have very little positive to say about most dealerships much less their technicians I understand where your coming from more then likely. Hoping my most recent experience will change my mind thus far they've been dragging their feet getting me my order# so I can track my build...
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
bluebeetle

I'm not going to really mod either the i4 or the v6 except (maybe) having a quad exhaust tip like the Corvette one of the videos posted here has. It will be my daily driver and I regularly have to drive for work. I have the Accord which I leased about 14 months ago and it already has 20K km on it.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I drove most of the options available SS auto, v6 manual, 2.0 auto and manual...

Couldn't swing the SS, but it was very impressive to drive.

I didn't like the how manual transmission felt in both the v6 and the 2.0, so I'm guessing my lack of enthusiasm toward the v6 could have something to do with that. Overall the v6 felt kind of unimpressive to me, but like I say, the trans kind of sucked to me. I wish I had gotten the opportunity to drive a v6 with the auto, but there wasn't any around.

I drove the automatic 2.0 car, and was very impressed. With all the gears available, it was always in the power, handles great, fun to drive, electric powerband. It put a smile on my face.

The manual 2.0 car, still good, I enjoyed it more than the v6 manual, but still didn't like the manual...

At the end of the day, the 2.0t w/ the automatic won me over.

*EDIT*
To add to that, I just bought a new house kind of out in the country, so with my new 40 minute commute to town and back every day, the 31mpg number is an added bonus.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 05-20-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
metwaru

Drives: 2016 I-4 2.0
I have a manual 2.0 as a DD and I love it. I did not test drive the v6 but I heard the 2.0 picks up quicker than the 6 and it's less expensive.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeetle View Post
(our winters are are more like Fall due to global warming)
Oh geez I think you ought to be test driving priuses, hippie! lol

If you're worried about gas mileage, I'd bet you fare better with the v6. The 2.0t might be better overall, but you'll have to stay out of boost, and where's the fun in that?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I picked the Turbo 4 because it was within my budget and I was looking for excellent fuel economy.
rorymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #11
bluebeetle

So far from the reviews on YouTube plus the responses here (which I am thankful for), it seems that if the v6 will be within my budget I will get it otherwise I might have to get the 2.0L Turbo (but as one poster pointed out where's the fun if one cannot drive it like they stole it). Plus premium gas will hurt my wallet.

I will be financing the car and for long term, I want all the interior goodies I can within my budget, so for that I feel inclined to the 2.0L Turbo. Not to mention it will be automatic only as I don't know manual driving + don't want it since I will be driving a lot.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
docdds

Drives: Corvette 3LT Silver/two tone Red
Under 2500rpm with 2.0 you feel the difference from the V6 -which makes it fine for normal cruising. But once you pass that 3000rpm the little 2.0 shoots out like a bat out of hell. I tried both and I believe when you want her power the 2.0 give it to you even better than V6 can. So far very happy with my choice of 2.0 -practicality and power.

2LT 2.0L, NFG/Kalahari, RTH-Black wheels , RS, ZN2, Y4Q, MX0, PCL

5/17 6000
5/9 5000
5/9 4B00
5/6 4800
5/5 Depart Thermal, CA; Arrived –Mira Loma, CA; pulled from customer –Mira Loma, CA;
5/4 Depart Carrizozo, NM
5/3 Depart Herington, KS
5/2 Depart: Hannibal, MO: Union Grove, Il: Beverly, IA
4/30 Arrive In Transit -Gibson, IN
4/29 Departure Battle Creek, MI
4/28 "bad order" Battle Creek MI; Mechanical problem with railcar
4/27 Departure -Charlotte, MI " 4200
4/12 4B00
4/9 3800 Built & VINed
4/1 3400;3/31 3300;3/12 3000 TPW 4/11
3/9 3000;3/3 2000;2/29 1100
docdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #13
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I agree with the point on having as many creature comforts for a daily driver as you can afford. Mine i still just a 1LT but with the infotainment package which i the 9 speaker bose stereo system and the 8" screen. Gm factory stereo systems are awful and im so glad i got the bose upgrade. The sound is excellent! And even though I didnt get the navigation package...theres a site sponsor offering the module for when i can afford to get it.

I also got the RS package which i think is a MUST. Its what really sets off this car. The headlights are simply gorgeous. As well as the 20" rims.

Ill be putting nokian hakapeliitta 8 snow tires on the 20's and getting z28 replicas come spring. With 275's on all 4 corners.

Gas mileage...ive done a best of 7.0L/100km which is 40 mpg on the little 4 banger.

Averaging about 30-32 mpg. But absolutely when you get into the throttle the fuel economy plummets quick. Which is fine!
rorymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #14
bluebeetle

@docdds - so you agree it drives like a stabbed rat? ha ha

@rorymick - do you have the navigation in your RS package or one must upgrade to 2LT