Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 20 13.79%
2017 53 36.55%
2018 67 46.21%
2019 2 1.38%
2020 2 1.38%
2021 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #729
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
There's no need to get a Katech pump, that's just throwing away money and probably voiding your powertrain warranty. GM worked with Melling to revise the pump design and the issue has been resolved.
How do you know they resolved the issue?

No offense but it doesn’t appear you know who makes the pump so how do you know it’s been fixed?

Katech oil pump is definitely made with better materials and it does not void the powertrain warranty at all, I checked with the dealership already.

Plus the price of the factory oil pump gets put towards the cost of my new oil pump and I pay the difference, so it’s not much more money.

On top of that I track my car hard and the last thing I want is the potential of blowing my engine regardless of the fact it would be covered by warranty. Who wants to be thinking about that while they are up against Porsche gT3 or trying to set a new PB?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 04-16-2021 at 09:28 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #730
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Mike View Post
Melling doesn't make these pumps.

As far as I can tell the "new design" isn't any stronger. I'm going to make a video at some point in the next week or 2 showing why these pumps fail.
Looking forward to seeing it Mike!
I’m not taking any chances with a pump proven to fail
Old 04-16-2021, 09:11 PM   #731
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I agree, if you still have a warranty don't install the Katech or GM won't cover damage if that fails. Use the revised pump, I bet it's great now.

You can sell the Katech to someone who is doing significant mods.
The Katech pump has all the same performance specifications and functions as a stock pump, so it’s not meant for someone who has more upgrades, it’s simply meant to last as opposed to fail, and that’s something everyone should be interested in.

I’m not willing to “bet” the stock OEM pump is now great without proof that it’s flawes are fixed.

The only thing not covered under warranty will be the Katech oil pump itself, and of course if that pump failed, any resulting consequences.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 04-16-2021 at 10:09 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #732
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
How do you know they resolved the issue?

No offense but it doesn’t appear you know who makes the pump so how do you know it’s been fixed?

Katech oil pump is definitely made with better materials and it does not void the powertrain warranty at all, I checked with the dealership already.

Plus the price of the factory oil pump gets put towards the cost of my new oil pump and I pay the difference, so it’s not much more money.

On top of that I track my car hard and the last thing I want is the potential of blowing my engine regardless of the fact it would be covered by warranty. Who wants to be thinking about that while they are up against Porsche gT3 or trying to set a new PB?
Are they installing it? Because its wayyyy in there lol...i cant imagine them covering a motor if something happened and you’d opened her up that much. Hope you have a good relationship with them.

I also thought melling made them, guess they just make the cam phaser gear?

Also, looking at the date ranges for failures, you could make an assumption they did revise it as there weren’t any reported failures that we’ve seen after a certain point. However, if Katech says it’s still an issue, then i guess we probably have reason to think not much has changed.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:13 AM   #733
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The Katech pump has all the same performance specifications and functions as a stock pump, so it’s not meant for someone who has more upgrades, it’s simply meant to last as opposed to fail, and that’s something everyone should be interested in.

I’m not willing to “bet” the stock OEM pump is now great without proof that it’s flawes are fixed.

The only thing not covered under warranty will be the Katech oil pump itself, and of course if that pump failed, any resulting consequences.
What I meant is that someone who is getting a cam or other mods that already require the motor pulled make the pump install easy, and no warranty anymore so no reason for them to worry about warranty.

Also, I don’t agree that the stock spec Katech pump (vs higher pressure version they also make that requires a tune) is not meant for someone with advanced mods and more power—higher stress and heat from more power affects everything in the engine and oiling system. Hence a more durable billet parts pump is better for a modded car, or race car, assuming it is actually more reliable and less prone to failure under heavy duty use like maybe an endurance race. In that case I too might opt for the CNC billet steel gear Katech pump, like if I get a Katech stage 5+ package.

My other point, as I think you stated above, is that if the Katech pump fails your motor is not covered, and considering you seem to have a warranty this doesn’t seem like a good choice IMO. If you are planning mods that will void your warranty, it may be a very good idea.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #734
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Are they installing it? Because its wayyyy in there lol...i cant imagine them covering a motor if something happened and you’d opened her up that much. Hope you have a good relationship with them.

I also thought melling made them, guess they just make the cam phaser gear?

Also, looking at the date ranges for failures, you could make an assumption they did revise it as there weren’t any reported failures that we’ve seen after a certain point. However, if Katech says it’s still an issue, then i guess we probably have reason to think not much has changed.
Yeah it is way in there for sure, a 25 hour job according to the dealership who is doing all the work under warranty.

Since my just failed now, perhaps it just hasn't been long enough for the 19's to start failing in any significant number?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #735
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Speaking of oil pumps, got an email from Katech that says mine is shipping! Makes me feel a little better.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #736
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Since my just failed now, perhaps it just hasn't been long enough for the 19's to start failing in any significant number?
We don't even know if the one '19 in this poll is legit.

If GM can't build a reliable oil pump that's pretty sad. I watch my oil pressure like a hawk, it should always be about 40 or above. Variable vane design seems to be a weak point

ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #737
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I imagine the oil pumps are made by a outside company, I'm in the middle of changing my 5.7 toyota tundra water pump, the 1st change out was at 100K, now I have 227,000 I believe it started miles ago, what's interesting is I saw a water pump of a dodge caravan one day that was extremely similar.
Here's my question? Is gm using this pump on all there vehicles? And does the supplying company make that same oil pump for any other automaker ? Maybe some one can give more insight on why they fail !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #738
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Yeah it is way in there for sure, a 25 hour job according to the dealership who is doing all the work under warranty.

very good point, some of them may not have enough miles piled on just yet.

and 25 hours, yeah, i don't blame them for charging that after seeing what all is involved to swap out a $130 part lol(or $500 for the katech, but ya get my point)
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:54 AM   #739
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Do you have to pull the motor to install the pump?

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:55 AM   #740
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Do you have to pull the motor to install the pump?
Hello Gary. You don't have to pull the motor.
You can just lower the front cradle, to be able to remove the oil pan.
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #741
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
boy looking at used zl1's did not know this was still an issue.

I did two 5th gen oil pump replacements. when I pulled them apart the bypass check valve was stuck open.

since I am more a shadetree mechanic and don't have good magnification or anything I would never decide if it was debris or tolerance issue.

both I could free up but both cars got katech pumps back in and to this date are good to go.

I have owned multiple cars with this style pump and never had the issue myself.

now my brain went two places 1. debris 2. as metal gets hot it is expands and if tolerance is two tight maybe it stuck.

both cars were being driven hard and then basically it stuck in between track sessions. one car was at road corse and one car basically did two half mile hard pulls back to back.

one car was LS3 stock the other was LSA 630whp.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #742
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Mike View Post
Melling doesn't make these pumps.

As far as I can tell the "new design" isn't any stronger. I'm going to make a video at some point in the next week or 2 showing why these pumps fail.
Yes, please do. That would be very interesting to see.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote