Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Coolant Temp is Spiking

Hi... Been a while!!!

I've brought my car to the dealership a few times for this issue.

Start the car, let her warm up and get going.

About 2.5 miles of backroads to highway. Normal operating temp for this model seems to be around 197-203f. By the time i get to the highway, i am at 220ish.

Get on the highway and the coolant temp spikes to 230-240 and then slowwwwwwly drops back to 203-206 range.

Get off the highway at a stop light, car immediately begins to spike again, fan comes on, coolant gets up to 217-220 at a light for 20-30 seconds. Start driving and it only gets down to 212, fan on high.

My experience is that my fan is kicking on around 206-208 range and really starts kicking around 215.

This happens regardless of outside temp, regardless of driving style.

First couple times they flushed the coolant and it worked for 5-6 months, only to have to bring it back again.

In traffic, or only driving backroads, the temp rarely dips below 208 (which is OK, but still not normal.

I'm kind of done bringing it back over and over again for a coolant flush and Chevy dealership could care less about looking into the cause. They are telling me 220 is "normal" even though my fan is BLASTING on high and the temp gauge is above normal.

Any advice beyond a fan issue/radiator malfunction/thermostat? On the highway for a while it is fine, but takes quite a while to get back to normal operating temps once I merge on.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
I'd start with the thermostat. That's the only malfunction I could see other than the fan.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Yes, it's more than likely the thermostat. Also 220° is not normal. That is very hot for these cars!
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
Jhoceva

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 2014 Equinox 1LT
Any Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyfed View Post
Hi... Been a while!!!

I've brought my car to the dealership a few times for this issue.

Start the car, let her warm up and get going.

About 2.5 miles of backroads to highway. Normal operating temp for this model seems to be around 197-203f. By the time i get to the highway, i am at 220ish.

Get on the highway and the coolant temp spikes to 230-240 and then slowwwwwwly drops back to 203-206 range.

Get off the highway at a stop light, car immediately begins to spike again, fan comes on, coolant gets up to 217-220 at a light for 20-30 seconds. Start driving and it only gets down to 212, fan on high.

My experience is that my fan is kicking on around 206-208 range and really starts kicking around 215.

This happens regardless of outside temp, regardless of driving style.

First couple times they flushed the coolant and it worked for 5-6 months, only to have to bring it back again.

In traffic, or only driving backroads, the temp rarely dips below 208 (which is OK, but still not normal.

I'm kind of done bringing it back over and over again for a coolant flush and Chevy dealership could care less about looking into the cause. They are telling me 220 is "normal" even though my fan is BLASTING on high and the temp gauge is above normal.

Any advice beyond a fan issue/radiator malfunction/thermostat? On the highway for a while it is fine, but takes quite a while to get back to normal operating temps once I merge on.

I am having a similar issue although my temps are not quite as hot. Usually my car runs at a steady 178 while cruising. Now suddenly its going from 194-201 about every 6 or 7 seconds, regardless of outside temp or vehicle speed. Did you ever figure out what was causing this?
Jhoceva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
V8Bully

Drives: 2016 ATS LTG
195 is normal operating temp.
V8Bully is offline   Reply With Quote