Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #57
AngeloVEnforcer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
Great responses thus far. Very glad this is not turning into a flaming war between one car or the other, the way I look at it, they are both 2 great cars putting North America on the map.

I looked at the Dodge Challengers interior, and it was totally lackluster. It seemed boring, plain, and envisioned what I might be able to do with some mods but in the end, a lot of the gauges and the situation of certain things feels like I should be in a Mini-Van.

The Camaro does have a nicer interior, but not by much. Why so many cheap plastic parts inside ?. I know I am not paying for a Vette', but still it's a fair bit of money to be surrounded by plastic components.

The better gas mileage does play a decent role, as does the improve horse power over the dodge. The outside of both cars are great. I feel the Camaro screams future, while the Challenger screams retro which works well for both. I was just really concerned with a lot of the issues with the car I've been reading up on, and am glad some of that can be chalked up to ridiculous modding projects and serious lead foot.

Looking to test drive them both tomorrow to help sway my decision, but by all means post anything relevant here that can help :-).
I agree, I think Dodge made the Challenger a carbon copy of its predecessor, while Chevy made a new Camaro that resembled the 69, it was more like a great grandson, but with new gadgets.

Plus, Dodge's power is the weakest of the 3 pony cars. And its also the heaviest... If you're a Dodge guy, get it.

If not, you can't go wrong with the Camaro. THe added bonus of having one is the attention you will get. It gets far greater attention than Mustangs and Challengers from my experience.

Drive them both and see for yourself what is the best far for YOU and YOU alone.
AngeloVEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #58
Mightygrasshopper

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary edition 'vert
Love both cars! In terms of camaro problems - if you notice the dates on when those posts were made, they're typically all within the first year of release. Drove by a challenger the other morning - both gave each other the nod of approval

www.mightygrasshopper.com
Into health, wellness and fitness? Check out my site for natural health product reviews, health articles and industry news.

Want to get into summer time shape? I'm a former fatty who's lost the weight - "Train With Me" for FREE - sexy abs in 16 weeks! Just follow along!
Mightygrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #59
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
the challenger is an awesome car. obviously i like the camaro more, but i still drool at the sight of a new challenger! im pretty sure youll be happy with either one. but if performance is very important to you, the camaro will beat the chally pretty much every time.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #60
hollywood21639

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
I like the looks of the Challenger but performance and handling go to Camaro. Challengers get their asses handed to em almost every time.
hollywood21639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #61
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Camaro or Challenger, Challenger or Mustang, Mustang or Camaro...

Give it a rest already.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #62
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
Hey guys,

Somewhat bias posting here, I am also however posting in a Challenger forum as well. I am stuck between what car to get between the two of them. I am looking at a 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, or the 2010 Camaro SS1. I have been to a few different Camaro forums but settled on this one as most of the stuff I have read here has been spot on.

I have however read about A LOT of problems with the Camaro. Tranny issues, engine issues, frame issues and so fourth. On the Dodge side of things, a lot of this seems very mundane. Can anyone here touch base on the technical side of things for the Camaro, and how reliable is this machine looking for the future ?.
Go test drive the car and make the decision on whichever one YOU want. Our opinions don't matter, your opinion should matter the most and what suits YOU. Every car as mechanical issues, transmission, engine issues as your stating sometimes sooner then later and in some cases later then sooner. With that said, go to your local dealer and do some homework and stop asking us to do your homework.

Notice the bold words.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #63
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Go test drive the car and make the decision on whichever one YOU want. Our opinions don't matter, your opinion should matter the most and what suits YOU. Every car as mechanical issues, transmission, engine issues as your stating sometimes sooner then later and in some cases later then sooner. With that said, go to your local dealer and do some homework and stop asking us to do your homework.

Notice the bold words.
Well in all fairness, when you have two great cars that you like, it pays to do the research and find out the small differences between the cars. One car could feel 100 times better then the other, then when you drive it off the lot you don't want the dealer laughing saying " Oh man, you chose the car with all the life time problems, but it sure does look and feel good ! "

So, without further ado, I am going to purchase the Camaro. I found a decent deal on a 2010 Camaro SS, and I will be going next week to pick her up week. Thanks for the information people, and I was glad a lot of people were also choosing the Challenger, or at least were very close to considering it. When you have people just chanting " CAMARO !!! " you take them with a grain of salt.
Dr.Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #64
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood21639 View Post
I like the looks of the Challenger but performance and handling go to Camaro. Challengers get their asses handed to em almost every time.
Now that may be taking it a bit far. Our Challenger runs pretty damn good. Bone stock at our local track it ran a 13.4@104. 4,280lbs. race weight with me in it. That is consistent with what the stock SS's run at the same track.

It is an R/T auto with sunroof and most options that can be had on one. 20" wheels as well which don't help at all.

With a tune and some DR's I would venture to say it would break into the 12's.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #65
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Now that may be taking it a bit far. Our Challenger runs pretty damn good. Bone stock at our local track it ran a 13.4@104. 4,280lbs. race weight with me in it. That is consistent with what the stock SS's run at the same track.

It is an R/T auto with sunroof and most options that can be had on one. 20" wheels as well which don't help at all.

With a tune and some DR's I would venture to say it would break into the 12's.
shhh!!!, i like being looked at as an easy kill.

And wtb, you are right that it doesn't take much to get into the 12s. There are guys that just have DRs and a cat back and are pulling 12.7s and 12.8s in autos.
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod

Last edited by mjf6866; 08-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #66
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
you need to drive both cars and find out for yourself. differences in body types will make the seats fit everybody differently, some folks will love the seats in one, but hate the other, either because your skinny or fat, or long torso/short legged, or short torso/long legged or any combo, then the interior is pleasing or not on a per person basis, it might look spartan, but have a tighter fit/finish that some folks prefer.

So drive them yourself and decide, take others experiences or opinions with a grain of salt. Make sure you drive the car/engine you want....don't drive a v6 when you want a v8 to make your choice.

Good hunting.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #67
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdon View Post
you need to drive both cars and find out for yourself. differences in body types will make the seats fit everybody differently, some folks will love the seats in one, but hate the other, either because your skinny or fat, or long torso/short legged, or short torso/long legged or any combo, then the interior is pleasing or not on a per person basis, it might look spartan, but have a tighter fit/finish that some folks prefer.

So drive them yourself and decide, take others experiences or opinions with a grain of salt. Make sure you drive the car/engine you want....don't drive a v6 when you want a v8 to make your choice.

Good hunting.
Agreed, the cars will fit people differently. Have to go with the one that grabs your heart

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #68
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
The Challenger is the better looking car IMO, but the SRT8 was just wayyyy out of my budget.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #69
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
shhh!!!, i like being looked at as an easy kill.

And wtb, you are right that it doesn't take much to get into the 12s. There are guys that just have DRs and a cat back and are pulling 12.7s and 12.8s in autos.
That's true, but you also have to consider that there are guys with 5.0s and SS's with similar mods running 11s and bottom 12s. 5.0 autos with just a tune and radials have run 11.8s and 11.9s. LS3s with the same have run bottom 12s. The RT challenger is definitely a pretty good performer, but the comparable mustang and camaro simply perform on a different level.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #70
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
That's true, but you also have to consider that there are guys with 5.0s and SS's with similar mods running 11s and bottom 12s. 5.0 autos with just a tune and radials have run 11.8s and 11.9s. LS3s with the same have run bottom 12s. The RT challenger is definitely a pretty good performer, but the comparable mustang and camaro simply perform on a different level.
agreed.