Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
panther1le

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Clay bar and wax?

Hello everyone, I bought a 2018 1LE last weekend (men I love this car) and drove it from Oklahoma to Dallas but it was raining like crazy. So I'm planning on washing the car this Saturday but I was wondering if I should clay bar the car or just wax it or do both. Which is a good wax to use? I already bought Mother's clay bar kit. I am no expert on detailing so I just want to get some feedback on how shold I start.

Another thing, I would like to do the clear bra and got a quote from Xpel which was $995+tax for partial front coverage. To me that is a little pricey, do you guys think they gave me a good price or should I keep looking?

Thanks for your feedback!
Attached Images

panther1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Nice choice!
Clay bar first, before you wax.

Depending on your driving the rear quarter panels in front of the rear tires get the most damage. If you plan on tracking the car then invest in full frontal xpel with the mirrors, and "A" pillars along with the rear quarters.

I cruise back country twisties so I don't see a lot of frontal, except bugs, but the rear quarters take a beating.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You really shouldn't go from Clay to wax, without a polish between them. The Clay Will mar the paint (that's ok) so you need to wax on/wax off a polish after the clay. Meguires 205 Is a good polish for a new car. Then you can wax, however you're better off using a sealant. A few good sealants are talked about in the detailing section.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-15-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Oh yeah, get something like ZL1addons rock guards to help keep some of the stones away.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I had my entire front bumper, rocker panels up to the crease in the door, and behind the rear wheels done with XPEL for $780. I’m very pleased with the work and would go back to the same place.

http://www.dfwclearbra.com/
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
For Xpel Ultimate, do the entire front end, partial front fenders, mirrors, rocker panels up to the crease on the door, in front of rear tires up to the body seam (after removing the smaller piece of factory "protection") and the "U" - A pillars and about the first 8 inches of the roof above the windshield. Also do the complete hood; the factory vinyl offers absolutely no protection and chips just like paint, but the holes are uglier because they get all raggedy looking. Total cost $1,800 or so; this may seem like a lot, but we studied several used Camaros and found significant damage in all of these areas - and it's a third of what you'll pay for repainting panels in a few years if you plan on keeping the car.

You can go to the Xpel website at Xpel.com and see the specific standard pieces that are available for the Camaro (with prices), but some pieces like the extended rocker panels need to be custom-cut and cost a little more: http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-...Camaro/SS_(V8). Also look for a certified Xpel installer (the website lists them) that offers a 10-year warranty on materials and a 7-year warranty on replacing material that is pierced and won't heal itself. FYI, I have had Xpel on one car that's more than 5 years old, and it still looks like new - with no marks or discoloration at all. Xpel also has a cleaner and protectant that works great on the material.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Welcome!

Wash, clay, wash, polish, seal/coat...

As for Xpel. I covered my nose to the front fender and the front of both mirrors. Cost me $800 here in Orlando. The tech was mobile.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
If you track or autocross the car.. it almost doesn't matter how you detail it, it will get scuffs. I guess getting paint protection film helps a lot, but for me I can't justify $2k to protect the paint of a $40k car that depreciates pretty fast. My price threshold for paint protection would probably be a Vette or above. The scuffs I have are only visible from 2-4 feet away, and only if you know to look for them.

THAT SAID, I do clay my car, but only maybe once a year or so. The polish+buff+wax+buff steps mean you end up taking around 5 hours to detail the car. And that's a lot of work!

EDIT: I do use TrakkTape on my car for track days on the front areas and on rear fenders. But some marbles always find their ways to spots I didn't manage to cover.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
kjchristopher

Drives: 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I had my entire front bumper, rocker panels up to the crease in the door, and behind the rear wheels done with XPEL for $780. I’m very pleased with the work and would go back to the same place.

http://www.dfwclearbra.com/
How long ago was that? Online quote was pretty high, plan on calling them but would be good knowing.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Take it from another 1LE owner, dont skimp on the PPF.

As said, wash the car then clay it (you dont have to wash again if the car is still clean from the clay process), not all clay bar's are abrasive aggressive (so you may or may not need a polish), polish (if needed), and then go with a good synthetic sealer.

Sealers last longer than a wax does. Check out Adam's Polishes, they are a top notch brand and run discounts all the time.

In regards to protecting the paint. I had my entire front end and headlights done in Xpel. I had the rear OEM PPF film in front of the rear tires removed and new PPF ran from behind the front tires all the way down the rockers and up to the body seam line in front of the rear tires. That also did the lower part of the doors as well. That was $1400 alone in PPF work on those areas.

Also plan on adding the ZL1 add ons rock guards front and rear. With the 1LE's wider tires you will get more rock chips on the doors and the area under the body seam line in front of the rear wheel if you dont add them on now.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Absolutely clay. I did mine at 300 miles and the amount of rail dust was insane.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #12
Printman

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The first week I owned mine I clayed it, did a 2 step paint correction with a DA polisher from harbor freight ($39.00 on sale) and Griot's correcting cream and finishing polish, because I had it but Adam's is what I will use next. Now I just wash it and use spray on wax every other wash. It did a great job and looks flawless under fluorescent lights. Only took a Saturday afternoon to do.
Printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
See sig.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Man I hadn't heard anyone mention Zaino in years, so I went to check out their website as a result of your post and....

LMAO! The website looks like the last update was in 2004, and after a quick browse I'd say that likely also applies to the product lineup.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote