Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Protection after ceramic coating

I'm coming from using Zaino on my '02 Firehawk. That was the stuff to use back in '02-ish. So when I got my 2011 Camaro, I used it on that car too and got great results. On my 2018 1LE, I want to ceramic coat the paint with CQuartz. I've been doing lots of reading and have decided on using CarPro products for the most part.

However, I'm confused about protecting the surface after I've got the ceramic coating on it. Does it just need a sealant at that point (Reload for example), or is there more to it?

My car is a daily driver (though I don't actually drive it every day) that will be exposed to Chicago winters. I'm sure I won't be able to re-apply Reload during the winter as I can't even wash the car most of that season.

Also, this forum needs stickies with general info. It seems like the same questions get asked over and over in thread after thread.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my car is ceramic coated and kept outside i wash it about every week or two and go back every year for my annual maintanence and it has been great! used quick detailer in between washes if i want to and thats all you gotta do no wax or anything
Old 10-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
I'm coming from using Zaino on my '02 Firehawk. That was the stuff to use back in '02-ish. So when I got my 2011 Camaro, I used it on that car too and got great results. On my 2018 1LE, I want to ceramic coat the paint with CQuartz. I've been doing lots of reading and have decided on using CarPro products for the most part.

However, I'm confused about protecting the surface after I've got the ceramic coating on it. Does it just need a sealant at that point (Reload for example), or is there more to it?

My car is a daily driver (though I don't actually drive it every day) that will be exposed to Chicago winters. I'm sure I won't be able to re-apply Reload during the winter as I can't even wash the car most of that season.

Also, this forum needs stickies with general info. It seems like the same questions get asked over and over in thread after thread.
Find the post here by Joe about Hydrofoam. It's a carpro product and is a mild coating product and also a wash. Works well, all you need. You could also do a rinseless in your garage in the winter using carpro Ech20.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
You should really top it with something like Reload, that is what gives it the gloss and extra boost/protection...basically it was originally created to be a ceramic coating topper.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Talking

This is what I use on my ceramic coating and as a quick detailer between washes.

It smells like bubble gum and makes my car's finish super slick.

It can be found at www.shopatpcs.com along with other products to help keep your vehicle's ceramic coat intact.

Win, win in my book.
Attached Images

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
^^Car looks great!! Can't tell from the pics, but have you thought about painting the calipers the same green or red?
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
This is what I use on my ceramic coating and as a quick detailer between washes.

It smells like bubble gum and makes my car's finish super slick.

It can be found at www.shopatpcs.com along with other products to help keep your vehicle's ceramic coat intact.

Win, win in my book.
Your car looks great!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
On my 2018 1LE, I want to ceramic coat the paint with CQuartz. I've been doing lots of reading and have decided on using CarPro products for the most part.

The biggest complaint I see about ceramic coatings is water spotting.

My suggestions:
1. Avoid getting acidic water on the car (Don't park under trees).

2. Avoid letting any kind of water dry on the car if at all possible (not realistic with a DD).

3. Put a good durable hydrophobic coating (Gtechniq EXO) on top of the ceramic (can be done DIY).

4. Religious use of non-durable sealants like Reload will help resist water spots.

5. If you do use something like EXO, then dilute one part of Reload into five parts distilled water to avoid the Reload streaking.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I use CQuartz UK ceramic on my car. I actually topped it with Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Black Pearl carnuba was and it looked killer. Also used McKees 37 high def paint sealant on top. However, reload is made to be the topper of choice by Carpro.
Attached Images

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
^^Car looks great!! Can't tell from the pics, but have you thought about painting the calipers the same green or red?
THANK YOU my friend!

I thought about it, but with the stripes on my rims I figured that was enough green and I'm getting rid of my red taillights for smoked, sequential ones so I saw no need for red calipers either.

Here's a nice, shiny picture of my car after it was hit with the ceramic quick detailer I use.

The guy who did my ceramic coat recommended the quick detailer and it smells like bubblegum so it's definitely a win win.
Attached Images

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote