Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Pursuit1511

Drives: 2017 SW Camaro 1SS
Black Wheels

I put on a set of gloss black painted wheels on my SS, and unfortunately I suffer from a severe case of OCD when it comes to cleaning my cars. The problem I'm having is regardless of what microfiber towel I use, and I use Adam's towels, I have these fine scratches on the paint whenever I dry them.

How can I remove the scratches preferably by hand because I don't know if I trust a buffer on wheels, and how do I prevent it? A touchless solution really isn't in the cards due to the enormous amount of brake dust. I typically have to do some type of scrubbing with a wheel mitt.

'08 Dark Toreador Red Crown Victoria PI

Pursuit1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
You can use a foam hand pad to polish out the scratches. It will be far more difficult than using a machine. Ideally, you want a dual action polisher with a 3" backing plate or smaller. You can try a drill adapter and put a foam pad on a drill.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Our Revive hand polish might remove the scratches if they aren't too bad.
You should consider using our Wheel coating once you get the scratches out.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Use a leaf blower to dry them.......It works for me
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
should have ceramic coated them when you got them
Old 09-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
Use a leaf blower to dry them.......It works for me
Blowing dry will help but really, his towels shouldn't be scratching the wheels. Either the wheels are not getting clean and he's scratching them with dirt or the towels are not clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Ceramic coating doesn't prevent scratches. It just makes the wheel slicker so dirt and brake dust doesn't stick so easily.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Blowing dry will help but really, his towels shouldn't be scratching the wheels. Either the wheels are not getting clean and he's scratching them with dirt or the towels are not clean.

Ceramic coating doesn't prevent scratches. It just makes the wheel slicker so dirt and brake dust doesn't stick so easily.

not true

https://www.feynlab.com/
Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
KirkH

Quote:
They don't claim it prevents scratches. And it just doesn't. It says:

"With an extremely high solids content (70%), FEYNLABŪ CERAMIC – WHEEL & CALIPER will stand up to the daily beating delivered by road contamination and brake dust."

That doesn't mean that a brush or a rock won't scratch it. I have installed dozens and dozens of ceramic coatings. It's not paint protection film.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

its self healing paint protection

https://www.wickedautodetailing.com/feynlab-coating
Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
Pursuit1511

Drives: 2017 SW Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The towels get washed meticulously after each wash. They are very fine scratches, so I'm sure a hand polish with a foam hand pad with work just fine. I'm just trying to prevent it. I even took a brand new double soft microfiber towel to lightly wipe the wheels after blow drying them did half the job, and I would start to see small scratches after the 2nd or 3rd pass.

I've been told it's close to impossible to keep black paint from getting any scratches, regardless how careful you are. I'm new to detailing, so I'm learning as I go.

Quote:
Should have, but didn't. Lesson learned.

'08 Dark Toreador Red Crown Victoria PI

Pursuit1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
ChingChode

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Solution: ceramic brake pads.
ChingChode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #12
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Microfiber can cause fine lines. Are you putting them in the dryer after a wash? Heard that's bad. Try a 100% cotton towel instead.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit1511 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The towels get washed meticulously after each wash. They are very fine scratches, so I'm sure a hand polish with a foam hand pad with work just fine. I'm just trying to prevent it. I even took a brand new double soft microfiber towel to lightly wipe the wheels after blow drying them did half the job, and I would start to see small scratches after the 2nd or 3rd pass.

I've been told it's close to impossible to keep black paint from getting any scratches, regardless how careful you are. I'm new to detailing, so I'm learning as I go.

Should have, but didn't. Lesson learned.
I think microfiber traps stuff over time and it doesn't just wash out.

Recently, I paid to have my brand new car polished professionally before I applied PPF and as I was cleaning the 1st area before applying the film I noticed my cloth left some scratches! They were some very fine scratches that came out very easily, and I hope it's the same w/ your wheels, but it was disconcerting. I went to the store and bought some cotton polishing cloths because I was freaked out my microfiber cloths were ruined somehow.

Upon doing some research I found they do trap crud and I got some microfiber towel wash and put them thru the wash 2x using hot water and the towel soap w/ extra rinse, this seemed to help a lot, the towels felt softer and didn't "grab" the skin as much but they still aren't as soft as a brand new towel.

Since then I noticed they don't scratch if they are slightly damp, with water or with a quick detailer, so it may be minerals in the water causing the issue. I don't have hard water but I'm not washing them with distilled water either.

I also read, maybe from Adam's site, that you can try boiling water to clean the microfiber.

If anyone has any good input on how to clean microfiber please post, or I may just start it's own thread as I can't believe this isn't a widespread issue. I hate to throw the towels away, but it might be a case of needing to use the specialty wash with hot water every time the cloths are used? IDK...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I launder and dry my microfibers and have had no issues I can detect. I bought the special detergent but haven't tried it yet. These work really well and stay very soft and clean:

For car:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Super_P...kaAsCjEALw_wcB

For the wheels, I use cheap wallmart microfibers but don't launder them. I rinse them out and let them air dry. I also keep the wheels waxed. If there are scratches, I can't see them. They look pristine.

Can you post a pic of what the scratches look like?
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote