Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 AM   #1
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
will it scratch?

thinking about getting a exterior duster for the car since I live in a very VERY dusty area. ive always heard that they scratch the car vary easily tho but I was thinking abt using it with the combination of my adams detailing spray as well. what do you guys think?
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A properly broke in California duster will not scratch the car, however, if it is very heavy dust you're better off doing a rinseless or hose wash. Stop listening to what "they say". ....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The Museum Rule: The less you touch a thing, the longer it lasts. But you're probably not planning to found a new car museum, so your main goal will be to prevent the dust/sand from creating swirls in the paint.

Best solution (also most expensive, a few $ thousand): self-healing paint protection film. Wipe it, brush it, california-duster-it, doesn't matter it will always look great.

Next best solution ($1-2 thousand, or a few hundred if you DIY): A good ceramic coating topped with a durable hydrophobic coating.

Best low cost solution (about a digit less expensive, a couple hundred, <$100 if you DIY): a top-shelf durable hydrophobic coating like Gtechniq EXO.

Least best solution ($35, amazon DIY): Carpro Reload or similar silica-based sealants. Some of these can be sticky when freshly applied, until first rinse/rain.

Always: 500 gram/sq-m microfiber towels and lots of lube (distilled water or distilled+sealant mixes).
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Didn’t really say as much as I should of haha

That car is ceramic coated and I want to use the duster ever 2 or so days just to get the loose dust off till my next wash do every week. I do a touch less wash too btw
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAvitia View Post

That car is ceramic coated and I want to use the duster ever 2 or so days just to get the loose dust off till my next wash do every week. I do a touch less wash too btw
duster is perfectly fine when used correctly, no wiping like it's a rag! Keep the body of the duster off of the paint and let the little duster ends dangle and dust the car off lol.
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Battery powered leaf blower works great for dust, then if there is still light dust, you can always lightly go over it with a thick high GSM MF towel.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAvitia View Post

Since it is ceramic coated, I would recommend just leaving it dusty until you can wash properly.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Battery powered leaf blower works great for dust, then if there is still light dust, you can always lightly go over it with a thick high GSM MF towel.
I like using a leaf blower too every few days and if needed Wolfgang Uber as a detailer is awesome!!!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I got the opportunity to machine polish a pretty famous car because of a duster, I use and recommend using Waterless Wash & WW MF towel.

https://youtu.be/2vCuSifHQHI
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote