Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Exclamation 2017 A8 TCM?

So i have a general question regarding tje hoops we need to jump thru to get a 2017 A8 Camaro tuned. I have the ECM tune but to release what is there i need to defeat torque management in my TCM as well. I'll be getting a spare TCM because i need my car for transportation my question will be after i get my spare TCM is my factory TCM locked to my car or is it something i could pay it forward to other A8 2.0T Camaro owners looking for a full tune.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
You cant just get a spare TCM and swap back and forth. The TCM is VIN matched to the car and from what I have seen in the past is not a plug and play deal to swap around. It requires the car to be hooked up to the GM Global system in order to swap it each time.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Anyone looking to tune their TCM will have to unlock it anyway, so it really doesnt matter if it was or wasn't locked to your car. How are you going to acquire another TCM? Last I heard, availability did not exist with GM.
You can get them on special order if you have a dealership willing to work with you. My whole idea was a pay it forward thing but if it's completely locked to VIN then that's a no go because no one likes having their car out of action for any amount of time.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
That would be legit. We could do a TCM loan program while HP tuners is unlocking you original. I'd get in on it. Id even help pay for the TCM. Call HP tuners tomorrow. I'd be interested. You can PM me if you like.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

My tuner is contacting them tomorrow about the process. I have a few dealerships I can get to order me one but I need to figure out if you can unattach a VIN from an installed TCM and Assign a new one before I can move forward with the idea. The whole process is to maybe help others on here facing the issue and maybe get a few sets out there per platform to help.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
My tuner is contacting them tomorrow about the process. I have a few dealerships I can get to order me one but I need to figure out if you can unattach a VIN from an installed TCM and Assign a new one before I can move forward with the idea. The whole process is to maybe help others on here facing the issue and maybe get a few sets out there per platform to help.
I spoke with HP today. They said they were going to have the tech department look into if the TCM is locked to a specific VIN or not. I was informed that "as far as Eric knew, they were not tied to one vehicle". But I also found out that they can finish the mods the same day and can usually mail them out the same day. So with overnight shipping your only out a few days at most. It just cost a little more.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Ya my tuner mentioned they were looking into it but were still unsure. I do know it woll cost your tuner or you 4 credits to do the TCM so for a 2017 your looking at 8 credits total for an A8 and 4 for the M6.