Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #29
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
Is the range and diablosport the SAME device or are they made by two totally different companies ?
unless it's some sort of weird convoluted co ownership, I'm not aware of range or diablosport having anything to do with each other. As far as I know, range makes devices for other vehicles as well, such as dodge's whatever-you-call-it-multi-displacement-something-or-other, and diablosport does have tuning solutions for several makes.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:15 PM   #30
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
2018 2ss

Just received mine today. Ordered directly from Range Technology.
They sent me V8.6R1
I will be trying it out later today.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
njweatherman

Worked with no issues or CEL.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:19 AM   #32
Stewhoppy

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I want to buy one of these but they will not ship to Dubai. I know I can purchase from other sources but I want to make sure I get the latest version.
Stewhoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #33
njweatherman

If you do purchase from another source, make sure you are getting V8.6R1
Old 11-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #34
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Read all the post and I am sold! I will be getting one for Christmas because I have an aftermarket exhaust and can't stand the noise going from 4 to 8 cylinder mode anymore:(
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #35
njweatherman

Trust me, you will love it. Half of my complaints about the Camaro were solved when I bought the Range Finder. Just make sure to buy it directly from them.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by njweatherman View Post
Trust me, you will love it. Half of my complaints about the Camaro were solved when I bought the Range Finder. Just make sure to buy it directly from them.
Do you mind if I ask you why buy it directly from Range?
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #37
njweatherman

No problem. When you buy directly from them, they always send you the latest update/firmware version. If you buy it from a third party, you do not know if you are getting the latest version.
Let me know if you have any other questions. You can post them here or private message me.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #38
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
My 2017 2SS A8 (4k mikes) is in the shop right now for an oil change, a side to side tire rotation and 3 warranty items...

a) Missing menus after remote start (they haven't been able reproduce this yet, no biggie), b) poorly fitted headliner (new headliner ordered, windshield apparently needs to come out, this item is taking a while), and c) the A8 trans shutter... they are just doing a flush.

1) Any idea if adding a physical switch to the Range unit as the original poster did... will it work on the fly? Will hitting the switch bring back the original OEM brains (allowing for V4 mode)? Or are the settings initialized at "car start-up" and then frozen until next "car start-up"?

2) I want it to work, but why would this help the A8 shutter? Like others, my car exhibits shutter under light load, probably in gears 7-8. Obviously this device doesn't keep the cars out of those gears. Since it generally happens under light load, does that mean the shutter only appears in V4 mode, and that keeping it out of V4 will help solve the shutter issue?

I think someone a few posts back said their's still shutters with the Range device.

3) Are there no OEM car settings to disable V4 mode? Such as Sport mode or Track mode? Maybe set to Track, but then custom settings the steering/suspension feel and exhaust note to liking? Sorry if that's a lame question, but my car isn't here at the moment to play with

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #39
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
1. Yes it will work on the fly, both on and off.
2. It may help your feel of the shudder, but it won’t fix the problem, the reason it’s so prominent in v4 mode or the transition is because the TC is programmed to allow more slip to help hide the pulsing whilst in that mode.
3. Not on Camaros. I’ve been told the corvettes lock out v4 mode when in sport or track mode, and have even been told my car does this by some techs at the dealerships, but it’s obviously not true about our cars.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #40
njweatherman

Once you unplug the range finder, it will have no impact on your vehicle. Your vehicle will operate like it normally does. If you leave the range finder plugged in to your OBD2, your vehicle will stay in V8 mode.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the AFM via a setting on the car. The safest way to get rid of AFM is the range finder. Leaves no trace. Unplug it whenever you go to the dealer for a service.

The other way is to re-program the ECU with an aftermarket programmer; however, I highly recommend you do not do that because you will void your power-train warranty. GM can find out if you wrote to the ECU.

I cannot answer about the infamous shudder because my car (so far, knock on wood) has not developed it. Hope this helps!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #41
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadden2 View Post
My 2017 2SS A8 (4k mikes) is in the shop right now for an oil change, a side to side tire rotation and 3 warranty items...

1) Any idea if adding a physical switch to the Range unit as the original poster did... will it work on the fly? Will hitting the switch bring back the original OEM brains (allowing for V4 mode)? Or are the settings initialized at "car start-up" and then frozen until next "car start-up"?

Thanks!
If you use a cable switch it'll defeat the AFM at any point in time ;engine running weather, not running etc. etc.With no problem whatsoever.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #42
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
We went for a ride Sunday on an open road at a steady 50 mph and I switched it on while driving so it would enable 4V mode and save a little gas. I usually just drive with AFM off since most of my driving is around town in stop and go traffic.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote