Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
JimMC

Drives: 2012 Challenger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Just switch to Android and problem solved
Nah...not gonna change our phones (and buy out the contracts) because 1 of the 4 cars we drive works better with Android. I'm not sure if my work car (Ford Escape) works with Android Auto. I'm sure my Challenger doesn't and the head unit in my wife's current car (Grand Cherokee) is an older Kenwood DVD model from long before AA (or CarPlay) even existed.

In my Challenger, I have my phone running Waze while the head unit has NAV on as well. Now, if I really wanted, I believe I could have Waze displayed on my head unit because I have a box that adds front and rear camera inputs. I'm pretty sure I could get a non-digital A/V output cable for my iphone and run it to the front camera input and it would give me Waze on the big display. I've hooked a GoPro up to it and showed it's output when I drove at Talladega. Pretty cool but hardly necessary. I have a front camera for it but haven't yet installed it.
JimMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMC View Post
Nah...not gonna change our phones (and buy out the contracts) because 1 of the 4 cars we drive works better with Android. I'm not sure if my work car (Ford Escape) works with Android Auto. I'm sure my Challenger doesn't and the head unit in my wife's current car (Grand Cherokee) is an older Kenwood DVD model from long before AA (or CarPlay) even existed.

In my Challenger, I have my phone running Waze while the head unit has NAV on as well. Now, if I really wanted, I believe I could have Waze displayed on my head unit because I have a box that adds front and rear camera inputs. I'm pretty sure I could get a non-digital A/V output cable for my iphone and run it to the front camera input and it would give me Waze on the big display. I've hooked a GoPro up to it and showed it's output when I drove at Talladega. Pretty cool but hardly necessary. I have a front camera for it but haven't yet installed it.
If your Escape works with CarPlay, it must be a Sync 3 system which supports Android Auto. Pretty much all the OEMs are supporting both at the same time. So you would be in the same position you are now, except you would have better maps and in the future actual Waze support in Android Auto.

As far as I know, there's only one A/V adapter for current gen iOS devices and it's an HDMI out one. So that wouldn't work in your Challenger unless you can find another adapter that will convert HDMI to composite output. But even still that would only output the display. You would have to interact with it on your phone. About the same as those guys currently having Waze up on their phone but using the Apple Maps on CarPlay.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
JimMC

Drives: 2012 Challenger R/T
Quote:
If your Escape works with CarPlay, it must be a Sync 3 system which supports Android Auto.
It's a 2017, just got it a little over 2 months ago. Big screen, no NAV, though I suspect there is a GPS in the car because if I change the clock and then in the settings tell it to sync via GPS, it'll reset the clock to the correct date/time. Also, another oddity...I listen to mp3s from a USB stick. All my mp3s have covers embedded, but that's all with respect to pictures. BUT, on most of the mp3s, the display doesn't show the embedded album cover but instead, generally a picture of the band. So it's either grabbing the picture from "the air", or there's some onboard storage (even though there's no mention of the head unit having a hard drive.)

I keep reading about Waze coming to AA but it seems like not much more than wishful thinking and a lot of faith in the promise that it'll soon be here. Kind of like how Primestar told me every year they'd have the NFL Sunday Ticket package and after 6 or 7 years, still no NFL. I finally switched to DirecTV and had NFL immediately

Quote:
As far as I know, there's only one A/V adapter for current gen iOS devices and it's an HDMI out one. So that wouldn't work in your Challenger unless you can find another adapter that will convert HDMI to composite output. But even still that would only output the display. You would have to interact with it on your phone. About the same as those guys currently having Waze up on their phone but using the Apple Maps on CarPlay.
I haven't looked. I have the A/V adapter that does HDMI but if I remember right, they make one that outputs VGA, so it would be easy to slap a VGA-Composite adapter in. It wouldn't pass audio through, though but I usually have the audio turned off anyway. I hate the unending voice calling out every little thing cutting off my tunes . Similarly, having to do things through the phone isn't too big of a deal. I basically set the destination and don't mess with things after. Still, it's far from an ideal system for sure. I don't understand why Apple refuses to allow other nav apps access over CarPlay. Their maps app sucks and they know it, yet they still want to force it on people. Same as requiring Siri to be enabled in order to use CarPlay. I don't want any part of Siri, so CarPlay is something I'll never make use of.
JimMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMC View Post
It's a 2017, just got it a little over 2 months ago. Big screen, no NAV, though I suspect there is a GPS in the car because if I change the clock and then in the settings tell it to sync via GPS, it'll reset the clock to the correct date/time. Also, another oddity...I listen to mp3s from a USB stick. All my mp3s have covers embedded, but that's all with respect to pictures. BUT, on most of the mp3s, the display doesn't show the embedded album cover but instead, generally a picture of the band. So it's either grabbing the picture from "the air", or there's some onboard storage (even though there's no mention of the head unit having a hard drive.)

I keep reading about Waze coming to AA but it seems like not much more than wishful thinking and a lot of faith in the promise that it'll soon be here. Kind of like how Primestar told me every year they'd have the NFL Sunday Ticket package and after 6 or 7 years, still no NFL. I finally switched to DirecTV and had NFL immediately

I haven't looked. I have the A/V adapter that does HDMI but if I remember right, they make one that outputs VGA, so it would be easy to slap a VGA-Composite adapter in. It wouldn't pass audio through, though but I usually have the audio turned off anyway. I hate the unending voice calling out every little thing cutting off my tunes . Similarly, having to do things through the phone isn't too big of a deal. I basically set the destination and don't mess with things after. Still, it's far from an ideal system for sure. I don't understand why Apple refuses to allow other nav apps access over CarPlay. Their maps app sucks and they know it, yet they still want to force it on people. Same as requiring Siri to be enabled in order to use CarPlay. I don't want any part of Siri, so CarPlay is something I'll never make use of.
Yea I think it's getting the album art from Gracenote. I had a similar problem with the album art on myLink. When I cancelled OnStar though, it seemingly fixed itself. Go figure.

Waze is definitely coming. It's in beta testing finally. They are definitely dragging their feet with it though.
https://9to5google.com/2017/04/04/wa...-beta-testing/

Yea if you can get VGA out, then there are definitely adapters you can use. As for why Apple is they way they are, it's a culture of "we do it better and don't want to admit otherwise". Either that or they don't want to pay Google for Waze. Either way, childish behavior...but that's what I expect of them.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote