Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #15
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Just a quick update. I wasn't really happy with the coupling of the bigger throttle body to the outside of the intake tube. It can be somewhat trouble some and not have the best seal. Both myself and oemtech have blown the tube out of the coupler under boost at least once.

I don't want to sell something half assed, that looks like cobbled together crap...

Ugly... But it works

Preview of "most exceptional"

We've essentially machined an exact copy of the snout of the stock throttle body so this piece (seen unfinished, next to the tb) will snap into the factory tube just like the throttle body would as stock. The back side of the pice will be machined smooth with a barbed end to take a coupler and single clamp.

It should look great!

Once I have a few of these pieces done, I'll ship one out to oemtech and a whole tb kit to Rory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #16
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Ohhh I'm liking the sound of this!!

We appreciate the effort your putting in especially in regards to not skimping on quality and craftsmanship!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #17
rorymick

Ill likely be taking the car out to the track to test the parts also.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #18
Jason@JacFab

Finished the new coupler today, unfortunately it's not going to work out due to clearance issues.

I'm going to have to proceed a little further with Operation Big Mouth and make a replacement tube for the stock one to get a good fit that I want.

The new tube will be 3" to match the throttle body. It will be interesting to see how the car responds to this.

Raw materials will be ordered in the morning to make the new tube.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
rorymick

It improves fuel economy?! This is awesome lol. Im very much a gas miser. I track my fuel economy. I haven't done any long distance steady state trips but my best 40km morning commute I've achieved 5.7L/100km. That works out to like 48 mpg lol. Makes for a boring slow drive but...

Anything that improves my fuel economy I love.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #20
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Bump @ Jason for an update on the big mouth setup... Have been following for some time and i'm dying for an update; would love to buy the setup once completed and tested!
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

Still working on the replacement intercooler to throttle body tube. We had a pretty bad wild fire here so i lost quite a bit of working time on everything...

One side of the new tube is done. Still have to finish the other side, sensor mount and weld it all together.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #22
Draven565

Drives: White 2016 Chevy Camaro 2.0t base
Been following since posted. Seriously interested in buying the kit you have come up with once completed and tested. I can see you have a desire and passion for coming up with this. That is fantastic, improves mpg and increases 1/4 mile times.. What more can an enthusiast ask for? Anyways keep up the good work and best of luck to you. Cant wait for the final product!
Draven565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #23
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Still working on the replacement intercooler to throttle body tube. We had a pretty bad wild fire here so i lost quite a bit of working time on everything...

One side of the new tube is done. Still have to finish the other side, sensor mount and weld it all together.

Sorry to hear about the wild fires, hope everyone is safe. Thanks for the update! Will be checking back regularly to see the progress
Old 09-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Small update. I was able to sit down and do the CAD/CAM for the sensor mount that will need to be welded to the tube.

The piece starts out as a roughed out waterjet cut blank that gets finished on the mill in 2 operations with no special fixture needed. Pretty cool.

Just one more piece to make (although it will require a fixture, so that will take some time) and I'll be able to weld the first couple tubes together and have a go at it.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Quote:
Small update. I was able to sit down and do the CAD/CAM for the sensor mount that will need to be welded to the tube.

The piece starts out as a roughed out waterjet cut blank that gets finished on the mill in 2 operations with no special fixture needed. Pretty cool.

Just one more piece to make (although it will require a fixture, so that will take some time) and I'll be able to weld the first couple tubes together and have a go at it.
Any size update is a good update! Looks pretty.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #26
Corner carver

Quote:

Yes! Big mouth lives!!! I'm a little envious Jason... What you do is the exactly what i went to school for (CNC with auto cad and cam on the side) was my dream (and still is) to have a small shop making custom parts for cars

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the update!

Btw, there's nothing like the sound of an end mill hogging out some aluminum
Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
Jason@JacFab

Two updates in the same day?! I must be crazy!

I made the bottom
Side of the tube that reduces to the stock intercooler tube today...

So then I put all the pieces together and BAM!

So I need to cut about 3" off of the bottom of tube, as it's too long, but it's not far off now. Cut the tube, weld all the pieces together and TEST MORE!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #28
Corner carver

Sweetness! This is getting good