Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
Driving the a8 in manual mode and slowing down?

Im not asking about engine braking or whether it should be done instead of using the brakes

But lets say you're in 5/6th gear and you're coming to a full stop. Should

- you apply the brakes and also downshift (whereas engine braking is only downshifts to slow)

- apply the brakes in 6th until you come to a stop and then select the lowest gear

- apply the brakes and let the computer auto downshift for you (it usually doesn't rev match these)

I can't find an answer because every result is about engine braking specifically. because im not sure i pretty much accelerate manually but pop it into drive when slowing to a stop
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I find its always best to let the A8 do it's thing. I didn't like the manual mode for accelerating, cruising, or stopping. So I got a manual!
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
italiano687

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
I agree with Protovack; let it do its thing unless you want to show off for passengers or pedestrians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
italiano687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
The A8 is designed to shift better and quicker than I can, and I like to feel the downshifts it does on its own.
That said, in my neighborhood it’s all 25 mph, I like the use the shifter to go thru the first few gears and back down, with the rpms higher than they would be normally, without speeding....all in track mode....it is a nice rumble, and mostly cause I love the sound.
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
The A8 is designed to shift better and quicker than I can, and I like to feel the downshifts it does on its own.
That said, in my neighborhood it’s all 25 mph, I like the use the shifter to go thru the first few gears and back down, with the rpms higher than they would be normally, without speeding....all in track mode....it is a nice rumble, and mostly cause I love the sound.
well that's exactly where im getting at. I like to use the manual mode to accelerate and bring it higher to red line and hear my exhaust. but ive started doing it manually for a downshift a few gears

but ive been trying to find what the best way to slow down is. and every answer is just don't do it.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I find its always best to let the A8 do it's thing. ...
Yep. Sometimes I've used manual mode to downshift a gear or 2 if I approach a steep downhill with a bit too much speed. Other than that, I don't fiddle with it too much.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
they gave us paddles.. working both directions.. use 'em.

I use manual mode almost constantly.. normally downshift as I come to stops. 105,000 miles like that and I have no issues.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
dperrone
dp77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
they gave us paddles.. working both directions.. use 'em.

I use manual mode almost constantly.. normally downshift as I come to stops. 105,000 miles like that and I have no issues.
yeah thats why im trying to figure out about downshifting but everyone just seems to use it for a gear or 2

I suppose downshifting while braking is probably okay because only downshifting puts the stress on the transmission and engine. and it will automatically downshift if it has to

id like to start using them more so trying to find other people's approaches
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
I have always done the first option, brake and downshift. When coming to a complete stop I always go to 3rd and then let it auto shift from there - trying to manually shift down past 3rd to a complete stop seems to result in shaking/jerking - this is a tip I read on these forums awhile ago and I'm glad I found it.

Never had any problems using this method.
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #10
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
Normally I just let the A8 do its thing. However, a few times in the NorCal hills I've put it in manual mode when having fun with friends, just use it the same as you would a manual.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
I have always done the first option, brake and downshift. When coming to a complete stop I always go to 3rd and then let it auto shift from there - trying to manually shift down past 3rd to a complete stop seems to result in shaking/jerking - this is a tip I read on these forums awhile ago and I'm glad I found it.

Never had any problems using this method.
Although I'm in a ZL1, this has been my experience as well. I stop down shifting around 3rd or 4th and let the car and breaks do the rest. My brother has also said the same about the harsh jerks shifting after third in his 1SS A8 , basically saying the car just wants you to get the rpms back up and get moving, instead of stopping in second or first.

Last edited by Scraps0f; 12-17-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Brother's car is A8
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #12
HCGxKaLiBeR

Drives: 2018 Audi S4/2016 Carmaro 2SS
I would downshift to 5th, then double tap the paddles quickly to skip shift to 3rd.
Engine does the rev match, blip the throttle, then music. (*music*engine rev up to 4K RPM, then more *music*exhaust crackle )

Then I will proceed according to 2nd if I come to nearly a stop.
I don't always shift to 1st unless I know I need to stop ahead, and need to take off fast.
The car can take off in 2nd no issue. Shifting to 1st jerks a bit, so I don't do it often.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
lets it do its thing unless you want lots of pop pops

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #14
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Having had a Gen 6 manual and now having a Gen 6 Auto I feel the computer can shift better and more intuitively than manual mode. Manual transmissions in this day and age are an anachronism. Thats why you can't get one on a Ferrari anymore. Sure prop powered air planes are fun but jet engines are far superior.

I use the manual mode exclusively when I'm stuck in slow moving traffic where 1st and second is top speed.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote