Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
ZL1 1LE drags supercars on World's Greatest Drag Race 7 by Motor Trend

Greatest Drag Race 7:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/world...t-drag-race-7/

This year's ringer is the Tesla S

BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
Greatest Drag Race 7:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/world...t-drag-race-7/

This year's ringer is the Tesla S

(Not up on Youtube or On Demand yet.)
Thanks for the link.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
P100D won? Not at all surprised.

Aero penalty on the 1LE pulled it down (possibly some shifting delay as well) because the A10 is worth 11.4 or better. Though, anyone thinking the 1LE was for straight line pulls is in the wrong car.

Not at all surprised where the GrandSport came in.. All that extra stuff on it, the eLSD won't help too terribly much on launch that LT1 and those tires. The Gen6 GS I had was very nice on a track, but you could tell it was in need of more power for straight pulls. Now that they've tossed all the extra aero and tire on it, it's even more noticeable.. Even with the more powerful LT1 and the better A8 trans.

One of the few things keeping ICE still in the game is the longevity of the batteries vs a gas tank. Once batteries in EVs can push 20m sessions and recharge quickly enough, it'll be a hard beat by an ICE car for sure.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
They needed a ZL1 non 1LE with the A10.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
This is a perfect illustration of the launch issues with the ZL1 (all versions). It was literally last off the start line. I realize the ZL1 is not a drag car, but sad that a car with 650/650 HP bogs off the line so bad. There are many post on this forum about this issue and I hope they can come up with a fix.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
That would have been so cool to spectate in person.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
The Greatest Drag Race....ha.

I've been a Bowtie pushrod fanboi all of my adult years, with that being said, a 4 door grocery-getter is mopping up the floor with the fossil fuel vehicles....the future is right in front of our faces too. What happens when Tesla eventually turns up the heat and puts out a Demon-like version ? You know it's coming.

Love Love Love my car....but I have a mad crush on the subtle, like a sledgehammer, way that these E vehicles put down the power.

End rant/ Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'll see half of you guys on the Tesla2 forum in 4 years.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
This is a perfect illustration of the launch issues with the ZL1 (all versions). It was literally last off the start line. I realize the ZL1 is not a drag car, but sad that a car with 650/650 HP bogs off the line so bad. There are many post on this forum about this issue and I hope they can come up with a fix.
I’m with you. I imagine the zl1 would be a very low 3.x to 60 and high 10s or very low 11s if it had a proper launch mode like some of these dual clutch (looking at your Porsche and mclaren) have.

I also think worlds greatest drag race on a 3 mile long run way should be longer than a quarter mile.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post

I've been a Bowtie pushrod fanboi all of my adult years, with that being said, a 4 door grocery-getter is mopping up the floor with the fossil fuel vehicles....the future is right in front of our faces too. What happens when Tesla eventually turns up the heat and puts out a Demon-like version ? You know it's coming.

Love Love Love my car....but I have a mad crush on the subtle, like a sledgehammer, way that these E vehicles put down the power.

End rant/ Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I'll see half of you guys on the Tesla2 forum in 4 years.
If you’ve ever driven a Tesla, they stop pulling hard at about 120 and then faceplant. Electric has a long way to go before it ever bests gasoline on anything but ¼ mile drag strip. And even then how much more boring or lazy could a race be in a Tesla. Just hit the gas and go. No skill required. No thanks.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #11
ag1leSS

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1z350 View Post
Yea a10 is needed for sure to be a fair fight with those cars. I have got 11.4 on my pdr on a dirty road at 128 mph. That would have been top 5 maybe better on a better launch area like that was. Also this race should be 1/2 mile not the quarter mile so the all wheel drive cars not have any advantage and it to be more about power and pure excelleration.
If it's going to be a manual car then remove all tm and let it go. They are there to keep the auto alive more then a manual style gear box. The stick cars should be half the tm just so they drive as they should. Back in the 90s early 2000s you owned an auto a manual of the same car would smoke your ass. 5.0 4r70w/aode was a 15 second car t5 low 14s mid 13s all day. Now it's pointless to buy a stick the auto can do it all and do it better mostly the perfect ratios and torque multipcation with out the huge drivetrain losses. I roll raced a convertible 6 speed with my a10 and it was embarrassing for him and I gave him the jump to see if could reel him in quick and in two gears pulled in two cars and went around. Probably why I see 6 speed cars selling here for low 50s already in Florida. It's sad GM is doing this to the car as auto is such a beast. If they think the manual can't handle more get rid of it but those of us that have been following cars know a t56 the weaker version of the tr6060 has gone into the 8s now at over 160 mph in purpose built race cars. So I think the right clutch it can handle every bit the lt4 can throw at it. My 1969 camaro was a 4 spd my 1996 lt4 formula firebird was a 6 speed but didn't even consider it on this car which I wanted hyper blue and found a bunch here south of me for mid 50s but all were stick and just wouldn't do it knowing the handicap they have in this car.
Going to Gainesville race way next Saturday evening at sea level air should be decent and in low 70s so hoping to crack a 10.9 in my stock car before I mod anything. If in the area come out.
11.4 still wouldn't be top 5 in this race. The 6th car ran 11.4
ag1leSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post

Not a future I'm interested in. Part of being a car guy is the noise for me. I don't care if Tesla puts out a 9 sec car. The fact that all you hear is tire noise and a little electric motor noise ruins it for me. No electric car will ever be able to mimic the full experience of the internal combustion engine. Unless the go green fanatics force it, I don't think drivers will ever fully commit to electric vehicles.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Couple things from MY perspective...

1) Greatest drag race is the stupidest name for this "race" ever. It's always a stacked deck or has completely ridiculous comparisons. That's IMO.

2) Clearly Electric cars have a big future however at this point, all they can do well is accelerate, specifically from 0-30, that's where they gain their ludicrous (No pun intended) advantage.

3) The ZL1 1LE never should have been in BDC IMO, they should have used a A10 ZL1 to compete with the rest of these Luxury Performance Cars. The things they complained about in the ZL1 1LE BDC video were all remedied by a regular ZL1. The 1LE is not for the faint at heart despite having a full interior. (I believe their drivers could get a 11.1 or 11.2 pass with an A10 if they wanted to).

4) STOP SHOWING SO MANY FRIGGIN' ANGLES! Seriously it makes it so you have NO idea what is going on. One clip, the 488 is pulling on everything, next clip everything is holding still, a clip later a 560 HP McLaren is blowing by the Porsche...I mean just let us see a zoomed out clip of the whole race from a drone or something. (Hey I'll personally volunteer filming it!)

5) LOL at all the kids in the comment section of the video that are asking about the Demon. Not that I want to get into a discussion about it, but lets face it, 820 HP and 4400 pounds is not enough to run CONSISTENT 9 second passes. Most owners will be running 11s, some will run mid 10s and hero runs may touch low 10s. I don't see any owner hitting 9s bone stock unless it's perfect. Even with Trans brakes and proper suspension. It's 4400+ pounds. It would take perfect air (Cold), perfect tire heat, perfect tire pressure, perfect launch, and AMAZING track prep for that pig to run 9s/10s.

6) Chevy needs to build cars with better straight line characteristics from the factory, IMO. I know most will jump on me for this, but seriously, the fastest late model car is likely still the C6 ZR1, that's a high 10 second car bone stock if the driver can drive. Seems like Chevy gives us a lot of cars that sure compared to a GT500 and Hellcat they compare well, but once you put them up next to Porsches/Ferrari/Lamborghinis, they look like a spinning mess or a car that just doesn't launch well at all. All I mean is that they need to be more efficient with the power they're giving us. Weight, weight distribution, transmissions (ITS TIME FOR DCTs!), and other stuff needs to start happening.

IMO.

Did you read that last bit? Ok well it was "IMO"
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #14
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I think this would have been better if they did a full mile
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote