Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #57
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
If this country was really truly serious about pollution then they would stop with cutting down all the trees and replacing them with concrete slabs, houses, malls, office buildings etc. Lack of trees is worst on combating pollution than what cars put out. Not to mention the constant displacement of wildlife habitats. Politicians are FOS.
you don't consider houses "wildlife habitats"? we gotta live and work somewhere.... else we just sit in our own filth like other countries.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #58
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
If this country was really truly serious about pollution then they would stop with cutting down all the trees and replacing them with concrete slabs, houses, malls, office buildings etc. Lack of trees is worst on combating pollution than what cars put out. Not to mention the constant displacement of wildlife habitats. Politicians are FOS.
You're absolutely right. What is even worse than that? The meat industry. The problem is, we have only found a viable solution to 1 problem so far. Think we can get everyone to drastically cut down on meat consumption? Or design a new way to give people a strip mall at every corner so they can spend money they don't have? Seems they are going after the low hanging fruit first, but as per usual it is less help than effort.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #59
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
If GM were to build an electric Camaro, I wonder if the phone charger tray would actually work without having to remove the phone case?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #60
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You can't kill a camaro by going electric. The Camaro is obviously much more than just it's ICE. It's not even the body or it would have been dead when they killed the F-Body already.

All you need for the camaro is for it to be an affordable performance coupe that looks like a camaro. What's under the hood doesn't matter as long as you have a trim that goes fast. That's completely possible with electric. 0-60 times that are fast (like 4 seconds), sure, electric can do that. Good quarter mile times, sure electric can do that too. That's basically the only common traits between 1st gen and 6th gen.

So cling to yesteryear's technology. You'll be breathing in the burnt rubber of your electric replacements with your hardon for exhaust notes while they're crushed into their seats beating you down the track (or to the next red light). I'll take going fast and all the benefits of an electric drivetrain over exhaust noise any day.
There are actually many studies that show that the human brain gets a lot more excited and has more adrenaline when someone hears the roar of an engine as the car goes, vs. a silent speed rush.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #61
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
There are actually many studies that show that the human brain gets a lot more excited and has more adrenaline when someone hears the roar of an engine as the car goes, vs. a silent speed rush.
Sound is a huge part of the overall automobile experience. Look at how many on this site sprung the extra 900 for the NPP.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #62
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
B/c stopping for HOURS to recharge is an ABSOLUTE DEAL BREAKER for people that travel for a living. If you stay within the battery's range for every commute or day of travel and charge up at night, it's not a problem. People who drive long distances for work will not add even more HOURS to their drive times. 10 minutes is about where they need to be for 100% recharge and similar range as a tank of gas. Personally, I'd like to see it drop down to 5 minutes. Or maybe put solar panels on the roof to extend range (if that adds a significant amount to the range).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis
it will hurt the travel industry. I drive all over northern Ontario on family vacation trips in the summer. Loads of Canadians and I assume northern state Americans travel by car to the warmer states for the winter. What are you going to do.....take 2 weeks to drive from Toronto to Orlando lol.

Perhaps they will stick with the small ICE like in the volt. It only recharges the battery, and never powers the drive train.
State of the industry is already at the point that what you have described as hours is actually 20 - 45 minutes, depending on which vehicle you have and the output capability of the fast-charger.

As IMadeYouReadThis points out, the idea of electric motor PLUS ICE is also already here and growing. Companies that have plug-in hybrids that drive electrically and can travel as far as and actually further than typical ICEs include:
  • Audi
  • BMW
  • Cadillac
  • Chevrolet
  • Chrysler
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Kia
  • Mercedes
  • Mitsubishi
  • Porsche
  • Range Rover
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen

I may be missing some. They are all low volume, but the number of applications is growing and the volume of each application is growing.

The world will NOT be only pure electric vehicles. It will be a mix of ICE with Stop Start, Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid, Full Electric, and a very limited number of Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

There will be Full Electric Sports Cars. Tesla is already working on a replacement for their first car, which was a full electric sports car similar to a Lotus, Porsche is about to launch the Mission E, McLaren has a plug-in hybrid P1 ($1 million, sold out before they were built) and has publicly stated that they will add a full electric sports car, Ferrari has stated that in the near future ALL Ferraris will have electric motors, probably as hybrids, but also more than likely one full electric, BMW already has the i8 Plug-in Hybrid and will soon launch a Full Electric version of it.

But ICE powered sports cars will continue to exist for as far as experts can see into the future. C8 Corvette, next gen Nissan GT-R, next gen 911 are all on the drawing boards and due to see light in the next couple years. They will have to compete with other sports cars with varying degrees of electrification. Porsche has already stated that the next 911 will have Plug-in Hybrid as an option. Given that the Panamera Plug-in Hybrid and the Mission E will already both be on the street by then, that should come as no surprise.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #63
blewbyyou

Drives: Dusk SE
If and when we get to electric cars what will happen if that idiot in N Korea
drops an electro magnetic bomb over us. everything electric will come to a halt. I hope to live another 30 years and never see that happen. we need someone to take that fool out. don't think his predecessor will have the balls to do anything.
blewbyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #64
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewbyyou View Post
If and when we get to electric cars what will happen if that idiot in N Korea
drops an electro magnetic bomb over us. everything electric will come to a halt. I hope to live another 30 years and never see that happen. we need someone to take that fool out. don't think his predecessor will have the balls to do anything.
It's more likely our Sun would cause such an event than N.K. An EMP bomb would most likely come in the form of a nuclear bomb and I'd be far more worried about those fallouts than the resulting EM surge.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #65
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post

You haven't seen videos of people in tesla's in ludicrous mode.

Way more adrenaline pumping than loud noise (though maybe not as much as loud noise + extreme acceleration....but then most would find that loud noise to be annoying and not something you want to hear often). While speed in itself doesn't push the adrenaline out necessarily, acceleration does. As the human brain associates loud noise as something old and outdated and negative, I think the connection to adrenaline will dissipate (unless it's unexpected and then the adrenaline is a fear response, rather than excitement). But if you're one of those people who need loud noise to have fun, i'm sure you'll be able to have awesome sound systems in electric cars and you can simulate loud noise all you want on demand. I'll be listening to metal turned up to 11 while driving a modern car that's faster, simpler to fix, and cheaper to maintain. Electric FTW.

Really what's the point of these threads? Everything is going to go electric that can go electric. It's far more flexible (fuel independence) and cheaper to maintain and offers the best performance in the range people use their cars for on public roads. You can't fight it and win. There's a grocery list of of benefits under electric and a grocery list of negatives under ICE that wont ever go away. Just accept it and adapt. You'll have more fun.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #66
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The overall emissions depends on where you live. Coal makes up about half of the country's production. Natural gas is the next largest and it is cleaner and more efficient running an EV than an ICE. I would not have purchased my Volt had it been powered by coal. But let's face it, I bought it because I'm cheap.

The argument against nuclear is a farce. More people die to all other energy sources even on a per capita basis and that's with no new permitting with the latest and greatest tech. Safety wise you're better off working in the nuclear industry and more likely to die making solar panels or installing them.

Electric is the future and it sucks but it's a necessity. That's why I'll never not have a newer style hotrod until they become extinct so I don't get caught with my pants down. You'll start to see plug-in hybrids as the norm I think and it's not so bad. It's actually super convenient.

That being said, I think sports cars will be around for a long time with engines. It's mainly a focus on the bulk commuter pollution. They price of the car and fuel cost may change or become inconvenient. Money talks.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Stupid title of the article.

Diesel and gas will endure so long as we need range, towing capacity and speed.

Commuter cars, and family sedans/CUVs will switch the electric as battery technology advances. There will be a period of 10-20 years of "both". GM is just getting a jump on the transition...which I actually think is pretty neat, because usually, they follow the curve and improve - rather than lead the pack.

They've got 50-some different vehicles on sale, if not more...18 EVs is not all of them. Relax....but prepare.

EDIT: I'll tell you what...the Bolt EV is a fun little car...if they can apply that technology to a sports car and give me a full track day on a charge/tank of Hydrogen? I'm IN!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #68
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
EDIT: I'll tell you what...the Bolt EV is a fun little car...if they can apply that technology to a sports car and give me a full track day on a charge/tank of Hydrogen? I'm IN!
I'm wondering if the other one of the two vehicles due with the next 18 months could be something like a small sporty car.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #69
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post
you don't consider houses "wildlife habitats"? we gotta live and work somewhere.... else we just sit in our own filth like other countries.
I have an idea, lets rebuild the ghettos and abandoned boarded up houses instead creating new ones tearing down more trees. The Wash. redskins cut down acres of wooded farmland about 15 years ago to build there new stadium, now that the contact is ending they are abandoning it and are looking for a new place to build..Eff them.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #70
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
I have an idea, lets rebuild the ghettos and abandoned boarded up houses instead creating new ones tearing down more trees. The Wash. redskins cut down acres of wooded farmland about 15 years ago to build there new stadium, now that the contact is ending they are abandoning it and are looking for a new place to build..Eff them.
That's called gentrification and not always looked upon very highly.. Typically, there are people that still live there that won't want to be displaced and in this day and age, it would cause a media circus for sure. Not to mention getting actual buy in from people to move in to the area and be assured that it won't be dangerous to live there based on whatever statistics and models that area is known for.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote