Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
My Flowmaster Outlaws drone very badly at 70-80mph on the highway, 6th gear starting at 1900 through 2400 rpm. It bothered me when I worked 60 miles away, but now that I am close to home I barely notice it.

But the sound from the Outlaws is just too good for me to change out. Only way I would is if I went with Solo Mach XL or Corsa Extreme, which are pretty much the best we have available, imo. Although I have been looking into Black Widow Widowmakers and J Pipes.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Longtubes, no cats and full corsa extreme. Absolutely zero drone. Couldnt be happier in that department
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
i have LTs, full 3" exhaust with ORX and magnaflow race mufflers part #14159.

unique and beautiful sound to me

drones like a mutha 1800-2200 tho

my solution for me: Dont cruise at 1800-2200

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 AM   #18
xXSharkfhinXx

Drives: 2015 2SS RS
im a rookie here and trying to understand this drone. i have JBA catback exhaust , resonator delete obviously and i have a deeper base sound to my cold starts and while it sounds good etc accelerating and such, i drive 30 miles to work everyday and i have to say i am not so happy while im setting cc on 70-74mph(1800-2000 rpms) and the exhaust you can still hear it, its not crazy noises or anything just steady muffler sound volumed up....is this drone? or just mufflers like this being louder? i dont have my lt/hfc yet. will these make for better sound(lower muffle noise) when i add those 2 when cc at those speeds? or do i need different mufflers?
Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #19
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So believe it or not. The borla ataks are rated as the loudest borla, and they probably are, but only under wot. I get 0 drone. 0 drone when it was manifolds, cats and 2.5 catback. I still get no drone now. It is quite tame under light throttle with a good sound only under WOT does it get really loud (ridiculously loud with 11lbs of boost). But even now every single person that hears my car idle then pull away, then WOT says they cannot believe how a car can go from sounding that normal to screaming demon loud without cutouts. Inside the car with the windows up it isn't even that loud inside at WOT i mean yea you can hear it but it is nothing compared to being outside it.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane

Last edited by Greenhornet2; 01-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
You mod the car's exhaust, cam it, CAI it (my GM CAI alone sounds like a muff-del) and are concerned with how it sounds? It sounds like a modded LS! If this were a Ferrari forum and I was asked this question, I'd say, "mantienilo originale."
Old 01-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #21
john2012camaroSS

Drives: 2012 Black SS
Kooks LT headers with Borla S-type setup. Drone was bad so I tried the supposed fix attaching Solo J-Pipes. Drone was still there. I've been driving around with the drone for three years. I am pretty sure it caused tinnitus in both my ears.
john2012camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #22
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Why I always advise people to do their research before they buy. Exhaust always starts at the front.
OP, do you still have your factory cat back? If so, that will be your cheapest/easiest solve. No drone and it will sound great.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #23
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
You can probably just change out the mufflers if you want to try something different
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #24
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
I have LT’s with cats, an x-pipe, and cheap Legato axle-back. No drone at any rpm. Very quiet in low rpm and very loud at WOT (outside the car, can still have a conversation inside). My wife slept like a baby all the way back from Vegas, but when I get on it, any cop within half a mile will be paying attention. Still thinking about going with quieter mufflers, maybe my kids are right and I’m just getting old haha. Before the headers, the x-pipe and Legato were actually too quiet for my liking, only slightly louder than stock. I would guess the stock suitcase mufflers would sound pretty nice with the LT’s. Only thing stopping me is I don’t really like the idea of adding all that weight back on, so haven’t tried it...yet.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
There are a number of variables that affect the drone of an exhaust system. Size of the pipe, physical layout (length), internal baffling of the mufflers, and for the intensity of resonance within the car, it is affected by insulation, sheet metal dampening, etc....

I know, as has been mentioned in this thread, there are companies that offer "J-pipes" that are supposed to address the drone. Without specific testing to size the J-pipes, these are no better than taking the recommendations of another exhaust system.

Now don't go getting wadded up, Hear me out... What works on one car may or may not work on another.... Altitude, fuel, driving style, modifications other than the exhaust system among myriad other things will all effect the resonance referred to as drone.

There is some high level math, and lots of videos available on the internet, but research has determined the proper length of pipe for J-tubes to be effective. Now bare in mind, changing the cam post installation, or moving to a different altitude can increase or decrease the ensuing drone, but for the most part, the following chart reveals the length needed for the J-pipes to be effective.

The location of installation isn't critical but most install them directly before or after the mufflers due to space limitations.

Now, to determine the length needed, you will have to drive under controlled conditions for moderately extended periods of time, say three to five minutes each at different RPM ranges... This is generally done at cruising speeds, in whatever gear you typically cruise in. Incrementally increase the rpms, listening and feeling for the resonance. You may have to repeat this a couple of times to accurately pin down the most noticeable level. Note this, compare it to the chart, and find a competent muffler or performance shop capable of installing secure J-pipes. If you mention a Helmholtz chamber, or J-pipe, and get a blank stare, find another location to do the work.... The pipe length mentioned in the chart is the length of each J-pipe from the welded interface to the end of the pipe.

Essentially, sound, (pressure waves) will split off into the J-pipes, traveling the length, bouncing off the end cap, and returning to the main exhaust flow on the same frequency, opposite direction, cancelling the sound waves. I hope that this helps and I've explained it somewhat clearly... Forgive me if I haven't....
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
Peachv7

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
There are a number of variables that affect the drone of an exhaust system. Size of the pipe, physical layout (length), internal baffling of the mufflers, and for the intensity of resonance within the car, it is affected by insulation, sheet metal dampening, etc....

I know, as has been mentioned in this thread, there are companies that offer "J-pipes" that are supposed to address the drone. Without specific testing to size the J-pipes, these are no better than taking the recommendations of another exhaust system.

Now don't go getting wadded up, Hear me out... What works on one car may or may not work on another.... Altitude, fuel, driving style, modifications other than the exhaust system among myriad other things will all effect the resonance referred to as drone.

There is some high level math, and lots of videos available on the internet, but research has determined the proper length of pipe for J-tubes to be effective. Now bare in mind, changing the cam post installation, or moving to a different altitude can increase or decrease the ensuing drone, but for the most part, the following chart reveals the length needed for the J-pipes to be effective.

The location of installation isn't critical but most install them directly before or after the mufflers due to space limitations.

Now, to determine the length needed, you will have to drive under controlled conditions for moderately extended periods of time, say three to five minutes each at different RPM ranges... This is generally done at cruising speeds, in whatever gear you typically cruise in. Incrementally increase the rpms, listening and feeling for the resonance. You may have to repeat this a couple of times to accurately pin down the most noticeable level. Note this, compare it to the chart, and find a competent muffler or performance shop capable of installing secure J-pipes. If you mention a Helmholtz chamber, or J-pipe, and get a blank stare, find another location to do the work.... The pipe length mentioned in the chart is the length of each J-pipe from the welded interface to the end of the pipe.

Essentially, sound, (pressure waves) will split off into the J-pipes, traveling the length, bouncing off the end cap, and returning to the main exhaust flow on the same frequency, opposite direction, cancelling the sound waves. I hope that this helps and I've explained it somewhat clearly... Forgive me if I haven't....

That was a great write up, I'm following up late as the snowy weeks haven't permitted as much working on the car. But i did end up putting stock mufflers back on. It sounds rather good but now i can listen to radio at a much more acceptable volume and hold a conversation. I do miss the meaty tone though. Might hold onto the cat back for a while
Peachv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #27
Peachv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2012camaroSS View Post
Kooks LT headers with Borla S-type setup. Drone was bad so I tried the supposed fix attaching Solo J-Pipes. Drone was still there. I've been driving around with the drone for three years. I am pretty sure it caused tinnitus in both my ears.

I've been saying what a lot more in conversations. I probably already got hearing damage lol. Stype and headers sounds amazing under load, but highway cruising was a chore. Adding a cam was the straw that broke the camels back
Old 02-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #28
Peachv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Why I always advise people to do their research before they buy. Exhaust always starts at the front.
OP, do you still have your factory cat back? If so, that will be your cheapest/easiest solve. No drone and it will sound great.
Putting stock catback sounded way better than i expected. Was worried it would lack balls, but it actually got choppier (albeit quieter)