Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Clutch experiences

I am posting over here as there does not seem to be much traffic in the trans section.
I will be upgrading the clutch in the next year I am sure. I will be around 700WHP. I do have drag slicks and may make it to the track a time or two but mostly street. I was looking at monster clutches for street. I was considering a twin disc with lightweight flywheel but they do say there is a lot of clutch chatter. Does anyone have this setup? I am wondering if it is bearable for street driving or if I should not do the lightweight flywheel, or bite the bullet and go with a triple disc. I saw they didn't give the option for the lightweight flywheel with the triple disc in the dropdown menus either. Is triple disc with the lighter flywheel doable? I am just looking for a strong clutch with decent street manners and I do like lighter rotating mass. Open to options and opinions. Thanks!
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Scott S
Scott S

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I run a McLeod RXT clutch. Feels like stock. There is a little chatter initially but it is very streetable clutch.
769HP/699 Torque LS3 heads ported and polished with BTR Spring kit & Trunion upgrade, LSA supercharger ported by DC Porting, 102MM throttle Body, 2.40 pulley upper pulley, Innovators West 10% Overdrive lower, BTR Stage 3 PDS Blower Cam, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, SMG Flex Fuel kit, SMG Aux Fuel System, FIC 1000 Injectors, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, RPM Stage Vll Transmission, McLeod RXT clutch, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, 3" X-pipe with Borla S-Type mufflers, ZL1 3:23 rear diff and Axles, 1LE suspension. Bmr Bushings in back. TUNING AND SPECIAL ALIGNMENT BY CARL@Twincitiesperformance
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
I have the McLeod RXT also and it's as easy to push as factory but way different feel and it's either go or no go..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post
I have the McLeod RXT also and it's as easy to push as factory but way different feel and it's either go or no go..

Good to know. I want to avoid the go or no go clutches if I can. I hate driving like that.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 01-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Same here with McLeod RXT Twin is the way to go. I'm at 760whp and its taken quite a few hard launches at the track. Awesome clutch, driveability and reliability.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I also have a Mcleod RXT twin clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
I run a McLeod RXT clutch. Feels like stock. There is a little chatter initially but it is very streetable clutch.
I agree. A little chatter. Normal for a twin disck clutch. I can't hear it over my exhaust. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post

I also agree. It is as easy as the factory clutch. It isn't very forgiving. But I wouldn't say its an on off clutch. It doesn't mind being slipped and is easy to modulate the pedal.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #7
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
I run the Monster twin disk LT1-S - drives like a stocker and the YSi charger hasn't bothered it so far...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
I run the Monster twin disk LT1-S - drives like a stocker and the YSi charger hasn't bothered it so far...
Did you run a lighter flywheel or stick with stock?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Axe55

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I also have the McLeod RXT, I think as long as you follow the break in procedure that comes with it, you don't get much chatter, at least mine doesn't. Only change I noticed after the install was at low parking lot speeds I had to rev the engine higher when I was releasing the clutch to get a smooth start. I daily drive mine and I have no issues with the feel of the RXT.

If you're going to the trouble of dropping the transmission, I would throw in an MGW (or other) shifter while you're at it. You don't need to drop the transmission to install it but it makes a couple of steps easier.
2012 Camaro SS LS3, JRE Scoop, CAI intake, Whipple Supercharger, Fast 85lb injectors, ZL1 pump, McLeod RXT clutch, MGW shifter, Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers w/HFC, Ridetech coilovers, BMR sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, 2020 Speed Tuned.
Axe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe55 View Post
I also have the McLeod RXT, I think as long as you follow the break in procedure that comes with it, you don't get much chatter, at least mine doesn't. Only change I noticed after the install was at low parking lot speeds I had to rev the engine higher when I was releasing the clutch to get a smooth start. I daily drive mine and I have no issues with the feel of the RXT.

If you're going to the trouble of dropping the transmission, I would throw in an MGW (or other) shifter while you're at it. You don't need to drop the transmission to install it but it makes a couple of steps easier.
Yes I have already decided on the MGW, when I do the clutch it will also get the shifter.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #11
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I have a mcleod twin disk that drives normal but does not release well at high rpm. It's coming out next spring due to that. I also ran into tuning issues with a lightweight flywheel where the inertia when returning to idle with clutch in is not enough to keep the engine running. This only happens if going from 1300-1700 rpms back to idle. The tuner put in a bandaid by having it return to fast idle until car is at zero mph.

Be ready to upgrade all driveline parts if running slicks with that power.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

What are you considering high rpm? It's not good if it doesn't release well, i had that problem with a centerforce dual friction clutch, couldnt shift fast at all it wouldnt release all the way at 6krpm.
Nobody running a monster clutch?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I run a quad disc carbon clutch, from Street Slayer via Thomas Hendrix. I used to run the triple up to 1300 RWHP, shifting at 7100-7200 RPM's.... No issues with it fully releasing at all, and it engaged like butter....There is absolutely no chatter or on/off switch action....

There is a twin disc available but I recommend talking directly to Thomas for correct information based on your driving style and goals power wise....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I never had a problem with my RXT twin releasing at high rpm or at all.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote