Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
ddotcorreia

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT 3.6L
Possible MAF Problem After Exhaust Change

Hey guys just got approved to the group so pretty new here,

I just installed Magnaflow mufflers. Deleted my secondary cats, resonator and stock muffler. I'm finding now that on my drives home from work, over an hr drive, my car feels like its locked its RPM's. When I release my gas, it feels like cruise control is on and it's holding steady. I pulled over bringing my car to a slow stop and the car is persisting on going forward. Almost like a bogging feel in a manual car. I put it in park and the RPM's jumped steadily at 2,200 RPM's.

I spoke to some personal mechanic friends and they believe it's the MAF sensor or that car is getting used to the exhaust change. They've suggested getting a new Air In-Take and a Tune/Tuner as well.

I'm wondering if 1) anyone has experienced this issue at all or heard of it and 2) the best advised intakes (looking at K&N Typhoon) and best recommended Tuner.

Thank you!!
Attached Images

Last edited by ddotcorreia; 05-18-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Closing line
ddotcorreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I'm not a mechanic but I don't see how those exhaust changes would affect your idle speed. The high idle speed is very strange and makes me suspect an electrical problem - a sensor, cable, connector, etc. Maybe they accidentally damaged a cable or connector under the car while they were working. Maybe your car already had a loose cable and the work disconnected it.

I've replaced the air intake on a 5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro and it didn't change the idle speed. I don't see how they would resolve that problem on your car.

If your car is still under warranty then I would only tune as a last resort. I would take it to a dealer and see if they can analyze the car before I would get a tune. I know it's possible that the dealer will blame the aftermarket exhaust and walk away. If something has failed on the car then hopefully the dealer would find and replace it under warranty.

Either way good luck with your car!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
ddotcorreia

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I'm not a mechanic but I don't see how those exhaust changes would affect your idle speed. The high idle speed is very strange and makes me suspect an electrical problem - a sensor, cable, connector, etc. Maybe they accidentally damaged a cable or connector under the car while they were working. Maybe your car already had a loose cable and the work disconnected it.

I've replaced the air intake on a 5th Gen and 6th Gen Camaro and it didn't change the idle speed. I don't see how they would resolve that problem on your car.

If your car is still under warranty then I would only tune as a last resort. I would take it to a dealer and see if they can analyze the car before I would get a tune. I know it's possible that the dealer will blame the aftermarket exhaust and walk away. If something has failed on the car then hopefully the dealer would find and replace it under warranty.

Either way good luck with your car!
From what I saw there were close to no cables in the area where the exhaust was cut but that could be still a possibility.

I will definitely try taking it to the dealer and check with them. I know/I'm sure they'll turn a blind eye to it once they see the exhaust swap. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the help!
ddotcorreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Aperretta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
any updates to this?
Aperretta is offline   Reply With Quote