Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
smggugfaw

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Arrow Attempt at de-camoing 6th gen Camaro (outline sketch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
...it's a 6th gen Camaro in a 5th gen shell.
Hey, that's a good idea. Lets do a 5th gen overlay:

Quote:
Almost nothing is different in terms of the body lines of the car, even with the tarp.
I dunno. Maybe the body lines are so similar because of the tarp?
smggugfaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by smggugfaw View Post

That really shows the new car is smaller then the 5th gen. the outline of the 5th gen is larger than all the padding...
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:

I would like to see an unanimated version of this. It does look smaller even with the padding.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I would like to see an unanimated version of this. It does look smaller even with the padding.
Yes, it does appear lower, leaner and quite a bit smaller in the rear end.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS

I guess it really isn't strictly just a 5th gen shell, the more I look at it. The rear end of the car looks like it's significantly shorter. Comparing to the original 2010 Camaro and to a current z/28, it's a smaller car overall. No amount of masking could hide that...
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
smggugfaw

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Here's two different levels of blend.

Keep in mind, I'm lining these up by the wheelbase. So if the 6th Gen has a shorter wheelbase then the 5th gen would be just that much larger in comparison. Essentially, I'm shrinking the photo of the 5th Gen to match the wheelbase of the prototype.

smggugfaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Oh and just curious. Everyone doing these overlays is matching the wheelbase of the current car to the camo cars.

I think we can see clearly that the cars driving around are going to be smaller.

Also, and seriously, in profile, a coupe is a coupe is a coupe. The only possible variations in profile would be a notchback like in the 130R. Otherwise you could probably put a 2015 Mustang in one of the overlays and it would probably fit under the padding.

This may create a whole new camo process at GM because in this case, everyone is seeing what they hope to see. Even if the little glimpses of the real grill opening are pointed out, people are going that can't be it. It really looks like.................

This is fun
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Here's two different levels of blend.

Keep in mind, I'm lining these up by the wheelbase. So if the 6th Gen has a shorter wheelbase then the 5th gen would be just that much larger in comparison. Essentially, I'm shrinking the photo of the 5th Gen to match the wheelbase of the prototype.

Nobody has come up with a good guestimate for the C6 wheelbase. Looks slightly smaller with the naked eye. I don't think the Camaro needs to be too much smaller than it is. Just about 500 pounds lighter.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
AshenGreyLFX

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1LS
Also remember the camera angle plays a huge part in the matching of the two cars. The pic of the 6th gen looks like the camera was closer to the ground (lower) than the pic of the 5th gen. We won't know how it looks until we do.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
If the Gen 6 has nineteen inch wheels instead of twenties, that would impact the comparison pictures. I'm betting the wheelbase is a little bit shorter.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Nobody has come up with a good guestimate for the C6 wheelbase. Looks slightly smaller with the naked eye. I don't think the Camaro needs to be too much smaller than it is. Just about 500 pounds lighter.
The 500 pounds (pipe dream by the way) mostly comes from being smaller. If not then it's premium materials that will jack the price to stratospheric levels.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The 500 pounds (pipe dream by the way) mostly comes from being smaller. If not then it's premium materials that will jack the price to stratospheric levels.
There are a lot of ways to reduce the weight of vehicles, one way that everyone hears about is with the use of expensive materials in the construction of a vehicle. The Current V-6 Camaro in it's lightest trim is something around 3,702 pounds (base 2LS Camaro). 2002 V-6 Camaro was 3,306 pounds (a difference of 400 pounds)....

The number one reason why the 5th generation Camaro weighed what it did is for the same reason why the current BMW 5 series is so heavy. They worked with a chassis that simply was not ideal, as a result of this the next 7 series is slated to actually weigh less then the current 5 series.

The number one ideal way to develop a Camaro would be from the ground up (its own chassis and all) however it would cost more to do so. It will save development dollars to use an existing platform once more though the alpha platform is a much better starting point for a sporty two door 2+2.

Everyone seems to be all over the map when it comes to their guesses of how much will the next Camaro weigh in at.

Honestly I think that the number one biggest thing that adds weight is the ever growing waste of Americans and the ever increasing expectations of comfort.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Very few new "sporty cars" weigh less than 3,500 lbs. Many are nearing 4,000 lbs. and some are even over 4,000 lbs.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
ThrashMetalGuy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black
Quote:

That's pretty cool how you did that. Nice work!!
ThrashMetalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote