Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
flaudia402

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Getting PPF in the next week - what areas would you recommend?

Just purchased a '18 Summit White 1LE last weekend. Planning on having paint protection film (PPF) installed next week. My plan so far was to have the following covered:

1) Entire front bumper (less the hood since it is covered in vinyl)
2) Side mirrors

The installer is giving me the option to have the entire rockers done. I'm reaching out to those of you with some miles on your camaros - would you recommend this done, or should I stick with smaller parts right behind the wheels?

Secondly, would you recommend the front fenders be done?

Thanks!
flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
RacerX78

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
A lot depends on where you live how often you drive your car. I live in the midwest where we have all 4 season and roads that are degraded. I also AutoX and road race so i wanted cone protection as well.

I ended up with the following:
- Entire front bumper + splitter
- Fenders
- Door Cups
- Entire side rocker panel going up 8" on the door
- No hood
- No side mirrors

To protect just behind the wheels arches, i went with the ZL1 Addons "Deluxe Rock Guards". A real simple product that off really good protection from rocks kicked up by the wheels. At the same time it doesn't stick out like a riced out WRX mud flap, ruining the body lines of the car. The Deluxe rock guards are thick enough that they don't deform when going triple digits.

Last edited by RacerX78; 09-26-2018 at 09:27 AM.
RacerX78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX78 View Post
A lot depends on where you live how often you drive your car. I live in the midwest where we have all 4 season and roads that are degraded. I also AutoX and road race so i wanted cone protection as well.

I ended up with the following:
- Entire front bumper
- Fenders
- Entire side rocker panel going up 8" on the door
- No hood
- No side mirrors

To protect just behind the wheels arches, i went with the ZL1 Addons "Deluxe Rock Guards". A real simple product that off really good protection from rocks kicked up by the wheels. At the same time it doesn't stick out like a riced out WRX mud flap, ruining the body lines of the car. The Deluxe rock guards are thick enough that they don't deform when going triple digits.
I did the above minus the doors, although I'll probably get around to it soon. I was also thinking of doing the front of the roof with a 12" piece of PPF.

I also added a piece of PPF under the trunk opening and where the license plate goes.

I went with rock guards too, I think they are a good idea. The ZL1 add-ons are basic but go well with the 1LE's looks imo.

I'd also consider getting the paint polished before PPF, it's not that clean from the factory.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I’ve had three Camaro’s wrapped in Xpel (13, 16, 18). The first, I did the most area, the second least and I believe the third just right. Basically, I felt the front fenders and rockers wasn’t needed. The second I thought the factory wrap in front of the rear tires was enough. It isn’t so remove it and do the whole area.

This one I did front fascia, hood (seamed at stripes), mirrors and in front of the rear tires. He threw in the door edges and door cups free.

I picked it up from the installer and then left two weeks for work. Got back yesterday. Perfect! It shrinks tighter after it’s been on a few days.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
RacerX78

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I did the above minus the doors, although I'll probably get around to it soon. I was also thinking of doing the front of the roof with a 12" piece of PPF.

I also added a piece of PPF under the trunk opening and where the license plate goes.

I went with rock guards too, I think they are a good idea. The ZL1 add-ons are basic but go well with the 1LE's looks imo.

I'd also consider getting the paint polished before PPF, it's not that clean from the factory.
Given the shape of the doors is why i went with protecting them. I also got the door handle cups done as well.
RacerX78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I personally got the nose, splitter, leading edge of the front quarter panel, full rocker, bottom portion of the doors below the crease near the rockers, mirror caps, and behind the rear wheel (small "L" shaped portion).
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I haven't had that great of an impression with the 3M that was dealer installed Id call it better than nothing but mine already has nicks and dings in the film so I'm not really impressed with it at all. And I've got ZL1 guards on the F and R. Though I may have it re-done for more coverage behind the door and the full rocker panel from the door crease down.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
I went with:
Hood
Front Fascia
Front Splitter
Front fenders
Mirrors
8" of rockers
Area around rear wheels
Strip on doors

For the 1LE, the rockers and area around rear wheels are a must. Not sure how bad it gets on a standard tire size. The hood is also preference. Front fascia is a must
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Chay

Drives: Camaro
I got Xpel Paint protection on the following areas

1. Hood
2. Front bumper
3. Door Cups
4. Mirrors
5. Door Strips
5. Rockers
6. small strip behind rear wheels
Attached Images

Chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chay View Post

1. Hood
2. Front bumper
3. Door Cups
4. Mirrors
5. Door Strips
5. Rockers
EXTREMELY AGREE WITH THIS POST...those are all the areas that I have had track damage or highway damage on my car.

Specifically in front of the rear wheel arches since GM only puts a small strip there and they should've done the whole panel and I have had to have that area paint corrected because of that. That area is where I ALWAYS find rubber from track days and even autocross.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
NASTY_1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chay View Post

1. Hood
2. Front bumper
3. Door Cups
4. Mirrors
5. Door Strips
5. Rockers
Might go with something similar to this. I appreciate the info.
NASTY_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #12
KCelsius

I have personally also found I get quite a bit of road dirty come up above where the rocker ends in front of the rear wheel. Kind of wish I had a small square above the rocker because I've already got a rock chip above it haha!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
well lets see I did:
entire front bumber including front splitter
hood
mirrors
side rockers both skirts and panal
both rear quarters right above the side rocker panels meet, along with the side panels that GM tried to do but didn't finish the job
I also invested in the ZL1 rock guards too.

the hood has already saved me 3 rock chips from hitting the hood, of which I'll have to eventually redo the PPF on the hood, but IMO it was much worth it
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
KCelsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
well lets see I did:
entire front bumber including front splitter
hood
mirrors
side rockers both skirts and panal
both rear quarters right above the side rocker panels meet, along with the side panels that GM tried to do but didn't finish the job
I also invested in the ZL1 rock guards too.

the hood has already saved me 3 rock chips from hitting the hood, of which I'll have to eventually redo the PPF on the hood, but IMO it was much worth it
or...you just rewrap the hood rather than wrapping and already wrapped hood.

From factory my hood wrap had imperfections near the hood vents and had some water marks and what not so I'd rather no put a bandaid over it and just replace the whole thing when it's beat up.