Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Data Loggers vs. PDR times

Spent yesterday on the short techinical configuration at Motorsports Ranch - Cresson (MSR-Cresson, Texas). It's 1.3 miles long with a lot of elevation change. They run it always CCW as they do the 3.1. The 1.7 can be run both directions.

Anyways, I just put Harry's Laptimer on my iPhone to compare to the PDR plus I borrowed an AIM Solo yesterday. Both the AIM and the iPhone were in the dead center of the car. The AIM and Harry's were very close, all within 0.07. However, the PDR would vary widely session to session.

Laptimes were ~64 to ~70 seconds depending on traffic with 20 minute sessions. One session, most of the laps were between +/-0.25 of each other but there would be a flyer of a second faster to two seconds slower. Another session, all were within +/-0.25. Another session, all times were over a second different both slower and faster, etc.

Is the GPS link or execution all over the map with the PDR as Harry's and AIM seemed a lot more consistent to each other.

I'm looking at getting an AIM or is there one you guys would recommend?

Thanks. Dave
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:20 AM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
From my experience, the PDR lap times were within .01 second of the track's AMB transponder, if marked at the correct start/finish loop.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
trackjunkie61

Drives: 2017 1LE
I have an Aim Solo DL for sale if anyone is interested. Includes mount and extra long CAN harness.
trackjunkie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
Destroyer_1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
I compare the times between the tracks transponders and PDR after every track and and the largest differences Ive noticed between the two is about -+ 0.01 but most the time its dead on.

Also make sure to make the mark the Start/ finishline on the real start/ finishline if you don't the times will be skewed due to mixing two lap times and over doing in sections just to cross the finish line faster (happens all the time at my local K1 Speed Anaheim the lap timer in the ground is mid corner. if you can to set a fast lap time you can blow through the corner and blow into the wall and drop second or more off your time)
Destroyer_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
mr965

Drives: ///M3
PDR is accurate except for the indicated speed. I believe it operates off the speedometer which is not optimal.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote