Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #113
DRKnightSS1

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS1 LS3
IF you are responsible and not careless then all should be good. I wish I could afford one myself. Enjoy your new ride when you finally get it
DRKnightSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #114
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'll just be honest. I was a dumb*** at that age and I drove like hell. If I had any sort of performance vehicle there is no doubt I'd be dead. It's up to the individual, I had a friend who had a 69 Chevelle 396 all through high school and beyond til I lost touch with him and he drove in a civilized manner.

"Deserves got nothing to do with it." I walked into my bank, plopped down the cash and said stick it in my account I'm going car shopping. Next day I drove two hours and bought my car. So yeah, if you can afford it, get it. I watched a special on Vipers some couple of years ago and they were talking about younger individuals getting second and third jobs to save the money to get one. I have no problem with that.

Now I'm slightly older, some of the whipper snappers think I'm old, some of the old timers think I having even gotten started yet, but I'll say this much, I own the world's slowest ZL1. I get up on the interstate and set the cruise to the speed limit and ride the right lane the whole way. I don't know if that's wisdom or experience or probably just too old for that s*** anymore.
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #115
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Making good money doesn't automatically imbue one with intelligence, experience or reason and forethought.

Be impetuous and eat your dessert before the main course, or exercise restraint and savor what follows with more appreciation.
ya what he said...and keep your stick on the ice
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #116
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Bull$*^$H

Nice one. Some punk kid trying to get a rise out of people. Keep dreaming kid.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #117
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
The reason why this thread even exist is a shining example why people doubt you can handle a ZL1.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #118
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
go for it dude!...anyone who works hard for a living deserves what ever they want...I'm giving mine to my son in 6 years when he's old enough to drive...and if he's responsible enough.
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #119
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm sure when Joey Logano and Kyle Busch started racing in NASCAR there were critics of age and the division they were racing in. They were 18 and 20 when they started racing NASCAR. I say the only reason why people say it is because they either can't handle it themselves, or feel a little bit upset because they couldnt afford it when they were that age. Now there are some very good points made on here though. You have elder men telling you to spend wisely and invest in things that may matter to you later in life. Very good points that should not be taken lightly. In the end though, it's your money. It's your life. Enjoy the fruits of your labor any way you want, just make sure you take pictures doing it.

Last edited by naSSty1; 04-28-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Stand corrected; Logano was 18
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #120
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
I'm sure when Joey Logano and Kyle Busch started racing in NASCAR there were critics of age and the division they were racing in. They were 18 and 20 when they started racing NASCAR. I say the only reason why people say it is because they either can't handle it themselves, or feel a little bit upset because they couldnt afford it when they were that age. Now there are some very good points made on here though. You have elder men telling you to spend wisely and invest in things that may matter to you later in life. Very good points that should not be taken lightly. In the end though, it's your money. It's your life. Enjoy the fruits of your labor any way you want, just make sure you take pictures doing it.
Big difference when you have handled cars with horsepower throughout your teens and besides they were not driving on a highway where someones children or another innocent driver could be killed. BTW you brought it up so here is your answer about Kyle http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/k...ing-lexus-lfa/ - you drove a nail in the argument for him.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #121
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
ya what he said...and keep your stick on the ice
...at least until the vasectomy scar heals.

Oh, wait! Is that some kind of Hockey metaphor?
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #122
Smittty

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro 2000 SLP Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
This, I know you said your 21 but close enough. I'm not saying your this type, but younger people have the this will never happen to me attitude, but as you get older you see people die and you tend to slow down and don't take chances.

What factors put teen drivers at risk?

Teens are more likely than older drivers to underestimate dangerous situations or not be able to recognize hazardous situations.7
Teens are more likely than older drivers to speed and allow shorter headways (the distance from the front of one vehicle to the front of the next). The presence of male teenage passengers increases the likelihood of this risky driving behavior.8
Among male drivers between 15 and 20 years of age who were involved in fatal crashes in 2010, 39% were speeding at the time of the crash9 and 25% had been drinking.10
Compared with other age groups, teens have the lowest rate of seat belt use. In 2011, only 54% of high school students reported they always wear seat belts when riding with someone else.11
Photo: Teen girl putting on seat belt

Compared with other age groups, teens have the lowest rate of seat belt use.
At all levels of blood alcohol concentration (BAC), the risk of involvement in a motor vehicle crash is greater for teens than for older drivers.12
In 2010, 22% of drivers aged 15 to 20 involved in fatal motor vehicle crashes were drinking.10
In a national survey conducted in 2011, 24% of teens reported that, within the previous month, they had ridden with a driver who had been drinking alcohol and 8% reported having driven after drinking alcohol within the same one-month period.13
In 2010, 56% of drivers aged 15 to 20 were killed in motor vehicle crashes after drinking and driving were not wearing a seat belt.10
In 2010, half of teen deaths from motor vehicle crashes occurred between 3 p.m. and midnight and 55% occurred on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.2

More if you care to read here, http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...factsheet.html
Plain and Simple. If you decide to get the car, just be careful and enjoy
Smittty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #123
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashobbsie View Post
go for it dude!...anyone who works hard for a living deserves what ever they want...I'm giving mine to my son in 6 years when he's old enough to drive...and if he's responsible enough.
Please don't be mad with my response.

You're saying your child is 10 now, and in 6 years you are sure he is responsible enough to handle a 580 HP car as his first car?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #124
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
It's all about experience, yes. But if the OP is smart, takes time to learn the car and how to drive it, he is no greater risk than if he is in a Civic.

It's not age, it's not necessarily horsepower, but it IS about being a smart driver in any given car.

I've seen a lot of people much older than the OP do really, really stupid stuff.

Use your head and you will be fine.
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #125
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Do your own financial analysis. If you can afford it, then go for it.

Do not succumb to the rationalization of having an ss or a 1le instead. You won't have a lot of time left to purchase a new zl1.

That's one of the benefits of being an adult; You can make your own decisions, and you also have to live with the consequences of your choices.

Just make the choice and move on.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #126
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
...at least until the vasectomy scar heals.

Oh, wait! Is that some kind of Hockey metaphor?
haha its hockey related advice.....coach always said keep your stick on the ice or you wont score
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote