Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Ice cold on the outside does seem odd to me too. I can see were it may be less hot because the box isn't hot on the inside. I know the outside should cool faster though.

OP What is the ADM box made of?
It is made of metal. The inside of my intake is sealed very well and I also sealed all the crevices around where the box attaches to the car.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
The ADM intake is made from Aluminum with aircraft quality stainless screws and fasteners. I think the top is plastic if I remember.

I have never had the Top of mine BURNING HOT ever. Now the Tube coming from the throttle body has been very hot but then it was 104 outside here in DFW.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #17
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
No offense,but the data does not look correct.

Heat is radiated off the engine and exhaust.

Had you said the air inside the box was monitored at a
lower temperature after the insulation install it would seem
more accurate

Our video on our website shows the actual
data realtime on the road,shows how well the race
intake works.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post

more accurate

intake works.
What data are you referring to?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
It jut seems to me that aluminum conducts heat and if the box were constructed of something more heat resistant like a urethane polymer or kevlar. It might have more heat resisting benefits. That said though. The 6.2 engine gets pretty hot blazing under the hood.
What would really help instead of the box would be a more ventilated hood so when are comes in through the front of the car, it can escape over the engine cooling some things down a bit. Good thing the camaro has oil and transmission coolers.
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:

more accurate

intake works.
That is what I'm trying to prevent from getting inside your intake. I'm not saying your intake doesn't work well because I know it does and that's why I purchased the ADM CAI over other brands. All I'm saying is the outside of the CAI gets hot from engine temps and now it doesn't. Does the heat radiat through the aluiminum and get inside to effect performance? I can't prove that it does since I didn't measure temps inside the CAI. Out hear in Vegas where temps get well into triple digits any type of heat preventative helps.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #21
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR BEE View Post
That is what I'm trying to prevent from getting inside your intake. I'm not saying your intake doesn't work well because I know it does and that's why I purchased the ADM CAI over other brands. All I'm saying is the outside of the CAI gets hot from engine temps and now it doesn't. Does the heat radiat through the aluiminum and get inside to effect performance? I can't prove that it does since I didn't measure temps inside the CAI. Out hear in Vegas where temps get well into triple digits any type of heat preventative helps.
The source of the heat is coming from the engine bay on the outside of the air box. Adding insulation to the inside of the box would not make the outside of the box cooler.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Aluminum conducts heat very well....It also conducts cool very well.With that being said,If you feed cooler outside air into an area would that area become cooler?It would,The aluminum would conduct the cooler air and it would cool off(at speed of course).Sitting still ....That is a whole nother world.

By the way when was the last time we raced someone at a drag strip sitting still?

It is a great intake,yes it can be modified to work different..My hats off for someone trying something different
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Aluminum conducts heat very well....It also conducts cool very well.With that being said,If you feed cooler outside air into an area would that area become cooler?It would,The aluminum would conduct the cooler air and it would cool off(at speed of course).Sitting still ....That is a whole nother world.

By the way when was the last time we raced someone at a drag strip sitting still?

It is a great intake,yes it can be modified to work different..My hats off for someone trying something different
There are a lot of people that make changes to already good products and make the better, to fit their individual needs.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
WHIPPLECHARGED

Quote:

Thanks! Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to disrespect ADM Performance at all. All their products are top notch from what I've read and from builds they have done and shared on Camaro 5. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do work on my car. I know they have documented and research there race intake and it is one of the best CAI on the market. After all their race scoop is used on just about every other CAI to make them perform better. I researched all the top CAI before purchasing ADM. Jannetty racing CAI test https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...VE&hl=en#gid=0. If you look at the temperature climb from the first pull to the last on each of the CAI tested. The ADM race intake had an increase of 5 degrees, which is very minimal, but compared to the Cold Air Inc of 0 degrees. This information is what had me thinking. What if I cold insulate the best looking and one of the top performing intakes. Could the ADM intake put down the same numbers of 0 degree temperature rise?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #26
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Could the ADM intake put down the same numbers of 0 degree temperature rise?
While driving around thats pretty much what I see 0-1 degree over ambient w/ the ADM Race, now sitting in traffic, ect... that is a whole different story, there is no way to keep some heat from getting into the intake when the vehicle is running and stopped.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #27
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Thanks! Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to disrespect ADM Performance at all. All their products are top notch from what I've read and from builds they have done and shared on Camaro 5. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do work on my car. I know they have documented and research there race intake and it is one of the best CAI on the market. After all their race scoop is used on just about every other CAI to make them perform better. I researched all the top CAI before purchasing ADM. Jannetty racing CAI test https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...VE&hl=en#gid=0. If you look at the temperature climb from the first pull to the last on each of the CAI tested. The ADM race intake had an increase of 5 degrees, which is very minimal, but compared to the Cold Air Inc of 0 degrees. This information is what had me thinking. What if I cold insulate the best looking and one of the top performing intakes. Could the ADM intake put down the same numbers of 0 degree temperature rise?
You did this because you were thinking and not just accepting I for one admire what you did.

As far as the temp rise goes, the number spread hsould be more extreme on the street during the summer.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Even at 0 degree temp change, the ADM won't out perform the CAI. There's a lot more to making a great CAI than just getting the cold air. Yes that's the big one, but once you're within a few degrees of ambient, the actual design of the tube, filter, and reducing turbulence takes over. There's a reason why the top two CAI's are one piece intake tube designs. I know this is what you have to work with and the insulation may make a slight difference, but don't expect to gain a lot from decreasing your IAT's by 3-5degrees.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote