Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #85
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
lol Oh I know about that fail!
Dont want GM to make the same mistake
I'll say this about four-bangers, if its a turbo it might be worth it with the curb weight dropping about 400 pounds. Think about the power to weight ratio with the 260hp Ecotech 2.0L at 3,300 pounds (possible weight of 6th gen); its 12.69 pounds per horse. The current 3.6L V6 is 312hp with 3,750 pounds in the coupe; its 12.09 pounds per horse. The Ecotech 2.0L got a lot better mileage than the 3.6L V6 did in the Solstice and Sky, both were about 3,100 pounds. I would imagine this wouldn't blunt straight line performance while at the same time improving the overall fuel economy of the car.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #86
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Eh who cares unless you try to make money off it you cant get in trouble. Or do you mean you dont know how to render like that?

Wish I did :(
A full 3D render takes a long time to do, especially from scratch... I can use Blender but I haven't used it since 2008. Its advanced enough to make human models and the best thing about it is.... its free...

Program is called Blender and there are 1000's of step by steps on Youtube..
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #87
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
I'll say this about four-bangers, if its a turbo it might be worth it with the curb weight dropping about 400 pounds. Think about the power to weight ratio with the 260hp Ecotech 2.0L at 3,300 pounds (possible weight of 6th gen); its 12.69 pounds per horse. The current 3.6L V6 is 312hp with 3,750 pounds in the coupe; its 12.09 pounds per horse. The Ecotech 2.0L got a lot better mileage than the 3.6L V6 did in the Solstice and Sky, both were about 3,100 pounds. I would imagine this wouldn't blunt straight line performance while at the same time improving the overall fuel economy of the car.
It's gonna' be crap. Might as well slap a fart can on the back and drift with the ricers.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #88
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
LOL, a V8 Automatic would have an 8-speed.

I can just hear the cars tearing down the track, and everyone would be thinking, "Sheesh, how many gears does he have to row through?!"
With the paddle shifter, you do not have to go thru all the gears....stop at 3rd or 4th...

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #89
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
A lighter C6 is definitely a plus. A slightly smaller (like the size of the 1st gen) will be great for a pony car.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #90
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Hey Guys, I remember when the camaro 5 was a concept. They talked about putting a turbo 4 in the car. It never happened for 2 major reasons.

1. The camaro estimated weight was too heavy for the car to perform.
2. They never really finished the research on how to make it succeed cuz a lot of camaro fans were furious.

A turbo 4 would be a joke in this car. I don't care if the 4 banger pulled 400hp on a 3000lb. The sound, the feel, the aura of the camaro will be totally depleated. The V6 barely convinces many, imagine a 4 banger. Also, every formidable sports car is using DCT transmissions, which have been the backbone of formula1 motorsports for 2 decades and is now in cars like BMW, Nissan, Audi and now ford. Even hyundai jumped on the dct with the upcoming veloster and next years gencoupe.
The mustang is set to get one in the following year. For those that don't know. A DCT IS A dual clutch transmission aka an automated manual. No cat converter. 2 clutches that are depressed by computer. Its way more fuel efficient, changes gears superfast and on the outside when you hear the car it sounds like a true manual and feels like a manual.
The 8 speed automatic is designed for luxury v8's to deliever smooth power and high fuel efficency. The DCT is so much more aggressive. I can see that 8 in a CTS, not a CAMARO.
The size is good on the upcoming camaro. I think they should reconsider modernizing the old 5.0 and 5.7L V8's. I'm sure with all the new tech. Direct injection and dct transmissio
n they can pull 400-450hp and still get 30mpg. Keep the camaro in the 3200lb range and it will not only be a reality? But possibly one of the fastest production cars out there.
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #91
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@showstopper View Post
If it's significantly smaller and has a 7 speed manual then I'm out. When will they quit adding gears to cars? Next will be an 18 speed Allison in the vette.
Agree 4 gears and then overdrive is enough. I wouldn't have a problem just having 3 gears and overdrive, I am always trying to find ways to skip a gear, usually 2nd or third.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #92
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
It's gonna' be crap. Might as well slap a fart can on the back and drift with the ricers.
From everything I read in the car magazines leading up to the 5th gen, it looked like that the 2.0L was almost the base engine for the current car. I don't think there is any way this won't happen with CAFE raising the in the next couple years. Get ready for those 340HP 5.5L V8s also.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #93
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I will say that I'll be sad if there is no V6 offering in the next gen Camaro. An engine like the current V6 (or better!) in a lighter and appropriately geared Camaro would be a fantastic option in my opinion. Give us gearing options: (a 3.55 performance ratio paired with an auto 6 speed in a lighter car should still be able to achieve near 30 MPG hwy, while offering 2.92 or higher "efficiency" or standard ratio should definitely be able to achieve low to mid 30s on the highway, while not being a total dog to drive).

But at the same time I'll also say that with these CAFE standards I'd be a bit suprised if there was no turbo'd 4 (assuming the car is that much lighter than the current gen). If ThePill is correct and they can squeeze 290 hp and 320 tq from the 4 cylinder that could be a nice performer as well. Hopefully you wouldn't have to redline it all the time to feel the power, but with that turbo the TQ could come on at a modest RPM. Yes its not going to sound like a traditional Camaro, and will never sound as good to our ears, but sometimes things have to change.

Again, I'd rather have the V6 option, but I very highly doubt there would be a 4 cylinder, V6, and V8 option. V8 will stay. Between the other two, who knows what we will get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
From everything I read in the car magazines leading up to the 5th gen, it looked like that the 2.0L was almost the base engine for the current car. I don't think there is any way this won't happen with CAFE raising the in the next couple years. Get ready for those 340HP 5.5L V8s also.
If a 5.x litre DI engine takes the place of the current SS 6.2, you can bet it will have way more power than just 340 hp.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #94
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I will say that I'll be sad if there is no V6 offering in the next gen Camaro. An engine like the current V6 (or better!) in a lighter and appropriately geared Camaro would be a fantastic option in my opinion. Give us gearing options: (a 3.55 performance ratio paired with an auto 6 speed in a lighter car should still be able to achieve near 30 MPG hwy, while offering 2.92 or higher "efficiency" or standard ratio should definitely be able to achieve low to mid 30s on the highway, while not being a total dog to drive).

But at the same time I'll also say that with these CAFE standards I'd be a bit suprised if there was no turbo'd 4 (assuming the car is that much lighter than the current gen). If ThePill is correct and they can squeeze 290 hp and 320 tq from the 4 cylinder that could be a nice performer as well. Hopefully you wouldn't have to redline it all the time to feel the power, but with that turbo the TQ could come on at a modest RPM. Yes its not going to sound like a traditional Camaro, and will never sound as good to our ears, but sometimes things have to change.

Again, I'd rather have the V6 option, but I very highly doubt there would be a 4 cylinder, V6, and V8 option. V8 will stay. Between the other two, who knows what we will get.

If a 5.x litre DI engine takes the place of the current SS 6.2, you can bet it will have way more power than just 340 hp.
We'll see won't we? If new CAFE regs are going to be a tall order to meet in a short period of time. DI will help but not a whole lot if the car has over 400hp, you'd get 19 to 20 MPG mixed driving more than likely in that scenario.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #95
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
For the render, if the fogs were further apart and the rake of the chin below the grill were steeper, I would be all over it. Right now, that nose looks a little wall-ish to me without anything to break it up.
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #96
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverZeaLouS View Post
A turbo 4 would be a joke in this car. I don't care if the 4 banger pulled 400hp on a 3000lb. The sound, the feel, the aura of the camaro will be totally depleated. The V6 barely convinces many, imagine a 4 banger.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #97
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
For those that don't know. A DCT IS A dual clutch transmission aka an automated manual. No cat converter. 2 clutches that are depressed by computer.
I think you mean torque converter. Anyway, I agree with you 100% on the 4-banger. It would be a travesty. In fact, instead of using the Camaro name, that's what they should call it - the Travesty.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #98
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
Anything to qualify that statement?

260 hp/ 260tq would be anything but 'crap' in a lightweight coupe. Ask the Sky Redline or Cobalt SS....and rumor has it that little powerplant will be reworked soon for a little more power and efficiency...

Quote:
Hey Guys, I remember when the camaro 5 was a concept. They talked about putting a turbo 4 in the car. It never happened for 2 major reasons.

1. The camaro estimated weight was too heavy for the car to perform.
2. They never really finished the research on how to make it succeed cuz a lot of camaro fans were furious.
Actually, I think it was just because in a 3650-3750 lb Camaro, the fuel economy wasn't there to make it a worthwhile investment in the lineup. I'd be willing to bet it had little to do with the few head-in-the-sand complaints...

A turbo 4 would be a joke in this car. I don't care if the 4 banger pulled 400hp on a 3000lb. The sound, the feel, the aura of the camaro will be totally depleated. The V6 barely convinces many, imagine a 4 banger.
Have you looked at the sales reports? 2/3rds of all Camaros sold are V6s. How is that "barely convinces many"? The Camaro is not ONLY about raw performance...it's also about offering an affordable, fun and stylish coupe to the masses.

Also, every formidable sports car is using DCT transmissions, which have been the backbone of formula1 motorsports for 2 decades and is now in cars like BMW, Nissan, Audi and now ford. Even hyundai jumped on the dct with the upcoming veloster and next years gencoupe.
The mustang is set to get one in the following year. For those that don't know. A DCT IS A dual clutch transmission aka an automated manual. No cat converter. 2 clutches that are depressed by computer. Its way more fuel efficient, changes gears superfast and on the outside when you hear the car it sounds like a true manual and feels like a manual.The Corvette's not. The Mustang's not. Many German performance cars are still not...and it's a little more fuel friendly but not "way more fuel efficient". It's also relatively unrefined. DCTs are not well-suited to high-torque applications....all I'd say to this is; let's let the technology mature before we jump on any bandwagons.

In order to create an in-house transmission to replace their hydramatic autos, GM must design a transmission family that will suit ALL their cars and trucks...this is a burden many niche brands don't need to worry about.

n they can pull 400-450hp and still get 30mpg. Keep the camaro in the 3200lb range and it will not only be a reality? But possibly one of the fastest production cars out there.
A 3200lb 2+2 RWD coupe with IRS at any reasonable size is unrealistic with a 4 cylinder. Let alone a V8. 30mpg? Maybe....but we'll have to wait and see what the Gen V V8s are like before we can start throwing numbers around...30mpg is a 25% increase in efficiency at highway speeds over the current Camaro SS....that's a tall order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Who knows? There could very well be a turbo 4, 6, turbo 6 AND a V8...the Alpha platform will supposedly underpin both the featherweight ATS and the heavyweight next-gen CTS...with the Camaro slotting somewhere in between. The Camaro also won't be arriving until well after the CTS is out and about...so maybe it could build off of those two cars' engineering and borrow all sorts of powertrains.

Generally speaking, a lot of these preconceptions and strangely backwards beliefs are going to be the single largest hurdle the Camaro will have to overcome moving forward. But -- if we want it to survive, it's going to have to adapt to its environment. That doesn't have to be a bad thing...just 'different'.

Dare I say it....I'm sure there's a possibility of a performance-hybrid Camaro by the end of the decade.....