Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
If the only thing you want to do is put a sealant on, none of the above.

CarPro Hydrofoam is as easy and as quick as it gets to seal your paint. Wash, rinse, pool rinse, dry what little water is left.....done.
Reapply in 3 months.

Haven’t heard of that. I’ll research more into it.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Is Carpro THAT good Glen? Worth the money?

NOTHING is head and shoulders above others. Hell, gimmie some blue coral or Kit, an orbital and some finishing polish and I Can get 95% of anything else here.

your skill and procedures and best practices is far more important that the recent wiz bang stuff you read about here. the new stuff here is easier to se, thats the major chsnge, not increased, overwhelming diff in gloss or durability.

fact: if you use a major brand name topper and polish THE RIGHT WAY, any of them work fine; meguires, blackfire, adams, sonax, etc etc etc. Othewise they would not continue to be sold.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #17
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Haven’t heard of that. I’ll research more into it.

I have used it for over a couple years now, on my car, and on other peoples cars as well (I do a little part-time detailing).
Here's an old thread I did on it a couple years ago, with pictures of results/durability. It's the easiest way to put protection on your paint I've found in 35 years of detailing cars.
Just wash, rinse, and dry. Regardless of what sealant you use, your going to have to clean the surface anyway before applying, but with Hydrofoam, you do both at the same time.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=451875&page=3

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #18
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
If the only thing you want to do is put a sealant on, none of the above.

CarPro Hydrofoam is as easy and as quick as it gets to seal your paint. Wash, rinse, pool rinse, dry what little water is left.....done.
Reapply in 3 months.
Looks great, thanks!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
NOTHING is head and shoulders above others. Hell, gimmie some blue coral or Kit, an orbital and some finishing polish and I Can get 95% of anything else here.

your skill and procedures and best practices is far more important that the recent wiz bang stuff you read about here. the new stuff here is easier to se, thats the major chsnge, not increased, overwhelming diff in gloss or durability.

fact: if you use a major brand name topper and polish THE RIGHT WAY, any of them work fine; meguires, blackfire, adams, sonax, etc etc etc. Othewise they would not continue to be sold.
Same goes for durability?
Old 09-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
I have used it for over a couple years now, on my car, and on other peoples cars as well (I do a little part-time detailing).
Here's an old thread I did on it a couple years ago, with pictures of results/durability. It's the easiest way to put protection on your paint I've found in 35 years of detailing cars.
Just wash, rinse, and dry. Regardless of what sealant you use, your going to have to clean the surface anyway before applying, but with Hydrofoam, you do both at the same time.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=451875&page=3
Now would you say it’s durable if I had to drive my car in the salty roads of Ohio?
Trying to get out of here by winter but stil.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #21
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Now would you say it’s durable if I had to drive my car in the salty roads of Ohio?
Trying to get out of here by winter but still.
I haven't lived in Ohio and driven on the same roads you have..... so I cannot comment on that.

I can say that when they put the salt/magnesium chloride on the roads where I live, I have no problem removing it on a weekly wash, but it rarely gets cold enough here where I have to go more than 2 weeks without washing my car.

Hydrofoam is highly resistant to acids and alkaline substances so my guess would be it would hold up fine...………. provided you wash the car at least once every 2 weeks to remove the salt.

The few years I lived up North back in the early 90's, I used Collinite 845 in the winter. It worked really well, but it is much more time consuming and tricky to work with versus Hydrofoam.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #22
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
I haven't lived in Ohio and driven on the same roads you have..... so I cannot comment on that.

I can say that when they put the salt/magnesium chloride on the roads where I live, I have no problem removing it on a weekly wash, but it rarely gets cold enough here where I have to go more than 2 weeks without washing my car.

Hydrofoam is highly resistant to acids and alkaline substances so my guess would be it would hold up fine...………. provided you wash the car at least once every 2 weeks to remove the salt.

The few years I lived up North back in the early 90's, I used Collinite 845 in the winter. It worked really well, but it is much more time consuming and tricky to work with versus Hydrofoam.
Hmmmm okay, I wash my car as soon as the temps get back up to 40 underneath and above..so I’m not worried about that. But I’ll look into it man thanks!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Little bit, not much is needed for tons of suds.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Same goes for durability?
Yes. All the spray-n-wipe sealants will last 2 weeks to 3 months depending on your application and environment. Well applied, garaged, dry climate will give you 3 months. Poorly applied, stored outside, winter salt spray, washed with a non-coating-friendly soap and they last ~2 weeks.

If you want something more durable that will last 12-36mo, then move up to a durable hydrophobic coating (but they're not really DIY for novices since surface prep and application technique are critical). Similar rules apply. 12-24mo for DD winter climate, 36+mo for a garage queen.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #25
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yes. All the spray-n-wipe sealants will last 2 weeks to 3 months depending on your application and environment. Well applied, garaged, dry climate will give you 3 months. Poorly applied, stored outside, winter salt spray, washed with a non-coating-friendly soap and they last ~2 weeks.

If you want something more durable that will last 12-36mo, then move up to a durable hydrophobic coating (but they're not really DIY for novices since surface prep and application technique are critical). Similar rules apply. 12-24mo for DD winter climate, 36+mo for a garage queen.
Hmm alright. Big disissions...I might try JetSeal and see how it does. My car won’t be in the elements as much I have a back up car that barley runs lol.
Girlfriends Mustang, is the problem this year she drives farther than I do.

Last edited by ItsChristianInHD; 09-23-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #26
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
I’m really thinking about it. For a dawn dish soap strip how much do you ad to the bucket?
Depends on how many dishes you are washing
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #27
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Depends on how many dishes you are washing
Seriously, there are tons of videos showing Dawn does not strip wax.

Dawn has a rinse agent so spots don't show on the clean dishes. That rinse agent makes it APPEAR that the wax has been stripped (no beading.) If you remove the rinse agent (wash it off) the beads re-appear.

It's probably not going to hurt your car to wash with Dawn. However, the Dawn is not stripping the old wax.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I have used Opti-Seal on both my cars recently and like it very much. Great shine and beads water even after two washes and 5 weeks time. Amazon sells it.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote