Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #29
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I liv in Abu Dhabi and lots of my Camaro buddies have ZL1’s. I see 5th and 6th gen ZL1’s all the time. As far as the difference, I have been on Yas Marina Circuit with both GT3’s and GT3 RS’s. While my 1LE is no slouch, I just can’t keep pace with either of them. If I had a ZL1 I think it would be much closer since I would have down the straight power.
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #30
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
991.2 GT3 = about 3x the price of a ZL1 In the US. Stripped base GT3s are just not ordered. RS is even more and this is before markup!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
mr965

Drives: ///M3
On the track I use “track” setting and “race” mode. In GT3 I always use PDK Sport/PASM sport and leave traction control on. I’ve tried both on track in auto and manual. PDK beats A10 in both. Noticeably smoother on downshifts.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
supercharged680

Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3 , Golf MK7 R
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I track my ZL1 A10 and I've spent a good amount of time in 997.2 and 991 GT3s on track, all with PDKs. The ZL1 A10 is very comparable to the PDK, the power band of the ZL1's LT4 more than makes up for any shift speed differences, the programming is absolutely on point for track work and most of the time you can just leave it in D.

For just about half the price, I think you'll find the cars are very close in most tracking situations. The primary difference of course, the 911 GT3 has a bit more grip on corner exit but the ZL1's eLSD sure does a great job getting a LOT of power down on corner exit.

My .02, you'll be happy, but to be honest the only car I'd want MORE than my ZL1 A10 and I've driven a lot of exotics on track, would be a 991 911 GT3 RS.

Interesting comparison, the thing i was thinking about more is corner exit since the GT3's power band is so linear you can mash the throttle and just fly away from anyone behind you in corners, i am sure i would have to be more careful in the ZL1. Lets see i will be taking it easy the first couple laps i do for sure. Ordered the car in black, just awaiting delivery now
supercharged680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #33
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SilverBulletSS View Post
I liv in Abu Dhabi and lots of my Camaro buddies have ZL1’s. I see 5th and 6th gen ZL1’s all the time. As far as the difference, I have been on Yas Marina Circuit with both GT3’s and GT3 RS’s. While my 1LE is no slouch, I just can’t keep pace with either of them. If I had a ZL1 I think it would be much closer since I would have down the straight power.
Yes, i was there a few weeks back. PM me if you will be going to the upcoming track days
Old 09-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #34
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr965 View Post
On the track I use “track” setting and “race” mode. In GT3 I always use PDK Sport/PASM sport and leave traction control on. I’ve tried both on track in auto and manual. PDK beats A10 in both. Noticeably smoother on downshifts.
It would be interesting to see how the different traction controls do on the ZL1, Yes on the GT3 you do not need to disable traction control since it would only kick in if you are doing something wrong which i like very much. I do however leave my PDK in manual and i shift it myself since i like to short shift going into fast corners etc..

The A10 i would leave in Auto since it is very close ratio and i would rather be focused on my braking , entry and exit points.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #35
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged680 View Post
Interesting comparison, the thing i was thinking about more is corner exit since the GT3's power band is so linear you can mash the throttle and just fly away from anyone behind you in corners, i am sure i would have to be more careful in the ZL1. Lets see i will be taking it easy the first couple laps i do for sure. Ordered the car in black, just awaiting delivery now
I'm approx 1 sec slower in my ZL1 vs my RS at my local 2 mile road course But then I've only had the RS on track twice compared to many more on my ZL1. Exit out of the apex in ZL1 in compromised more noticeably. The computer is cutting in quite invasively. I haven't had the confidence yet to turn off traction control completely nor do I know how. I've tried a number of times for my driving coach but he says it's still intrudes.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #36
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Yes, i was there a few weeks back. PM me if you will be going to the upcoming track days
Yeah I couldn’t make it as I was out of town. What are you driving? I have the only 6th gen 1LE in all of the UAE and it is also the only factory Garnet Red car here. I kinda stick out lol.
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #37
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SilverBulletSS View Post
Yeah I couldn’t make it as I was out of town. What are you driving? I have the only 6th gen 1LE in all of the UAE and it is also the only factory Garnet Red car here. I kinda stick out lol.
991 GT3 in white, there are many LOL.

Did you import yours?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #38
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Linear and...no torque. This is also why you can mash the GT3 Throttle! (And why the PDK DCT is a good fit).
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #39
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Linear and...no torque. This is also why you can mash the GT3 Throttle! (And why the PDK DCT is a good fit).
Agreed, having a smart traction control system helps too. I have driven a Mclaren 675LT and 720S with the same driving style as the gt3 and they took it really well the car does everything for you in terms of putting the power down gradually as you straighten the wheel coming out of corners, sure, where is the fun in that as some would say however the goal is to be as fast as possible so in that case technology is nice to have
Old 09-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #40
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Too bad that the A10 wasn't available on the C7 Corvettes. This transmission was developed from a mix venture of top engineering expertise from Chevrolet and Ford in order to develop together the best american performance automatic transmission achievable for multi use: ZL1, Raptor, etc. Probably not yet as precise as a PDK from Porsche but still an amazing development and very close to the performance of a DCT transmission. It was to big to fit it on a Corvette. Too bad.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote