Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #169
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I remember the Lancer Evolution. In 2008, it was the first vehicle to have the gaping front, followed by the Charger. It was a damn good tuner too.
No not really ..go back even further.. Audi was doing it in 2005..and . Volkswagen vehicles in 2006
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #170
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post
No not really ..go back even further.. Audi was doing it in 2005..and . Volkswagen vehicles in 2006
Well I'll be...
As for Audi & VW... tomayto, tomahto.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #171
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Well I'll be...
As for Audi & VW... tomayto, tomahto.
The look works on some cars.its mean looking but i find it shows the bugs more lol..i vinyl warped my s550 mustang front bumper and get alot of compliments ..and i after seeing and studying the new 19 front ends on the 6th gen Camaro..im gonna say other then the flow tie location..i like the ss front end way better then the v6 and turbo 4 front end ..its not mean looking at all the top grill is to big .. i really like the front end on the 2016 through 18 V6 was really nice.
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #172
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
The problem is the younger generation doesn't care about cars overall especially muscle cars.
It's this, together with an overall lower interest in the whole business of driving.

But I think Uber and whatever aren't nearly as much to blame as smart phones and instant communication even if it is only "virtual". They don't need the physical transportation to get together with friends the way we did.

For people in my age group (70), it wasn't the next generation behind us (40-somethings) who came into cars and driving with little interest; it's been their kids (20-somethings and teens). For us, having a license and a car meant freedom. For the youngest driving-age generation, perhaps it's a case of time spent driving being seen as a limitation on communication time.

Norm
Old 09-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #173
frostys

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For the youngest driving-age generation, perhaps it's a case of time spent driving being seen as a limitation on communication time.

Norm
Not really. It's more a money issue. A lot of people have trouble making ends meet so the sporty car is cool but too expensive. When you have to have a car, you go with what you can afford and a Camaro right now is not affordable if you compare to many other options that will fulfill the basic needs a car has to cover.
frostys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #174
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Feedback I keep getting from my 21 y/o granddaughter is that there's hardly any interest in cars of any sort among most of the other kids her age - to them all cars are just transportation appliances that you have to put gas in once in a while. I wish you could hear her commentary on some of the car-related situations her friends encounter (or create for themselves), it's an absolute riot to listen to her go on about this.

Norm
Old 09-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #175
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
It's this, together with an overall lower interest in the whole business of driving.

But I think Uber and whatever aren't nearly as much to blame as smart phones and instant communication even if it is only "virtual". They don't need the physical transportation to get together with friends the way we did.

For people in my age group (70), it wasn't the next generation behind us (40-somethings) who came into cars and driving with little interest; it's been their kids (20-somethings and teens). For us, having a license and a car meant freedom. For the youngest driving-age generation, perhaps it's a case of time spent driving being seen as a limitation on communication time.

Norm
This! I have to beg my daughter to come out for driving lessons with me. Driving lessons are prioritized somewhere well behind homework. The notion of exploration, "seeing the world" and "freedom" isn't as strong as the previous generation or is non existent. We aren't rich by any stretch of the imagination but never say no to anything they want because they are such good kids (not spoiled at all). They just want to be in their rooms on their phones/computers/tablets/TV all the time. No shopping, no toys, no trips, they want nothing they want to do nothing. It's surreal.

There are very few hot rods in her H.S. parking lot. A bunch of jeeps, a smattering of stock mustangs some BMWs and tuner cars and one vintage muscle car, a nicely done 69 Charger. No camaros, new or old :( The H.S. is pretty large and in a very good school district.

The heartbreaker...she didn't want to learn on my Camaro
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #176
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Feedback I keep getting from my 21 y/o granddaughter is that there's hardly any interest in cars of any sort among most of the other kids her age - to them all cars are just transportation appliances that you have to put gas in once in a while. I wish you could hear her commentary on some of the car-related situations her friends encounter (or create for themselves), it's an absolute riot to listen to her go on about this.

Norm
Based on my experience with my nephew, I agree that there's a lack of interest, but I don't believe it's due to smartphones. New cars are so loaded with gadgets, that if it were the case, there would be more interest not less. I also think vehicles are considered utilitarian products & therefore a small engine, four doors & a hatch are preferred if there's an absolute need for one.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #177
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
IDK about the age thing.

My daughter is 20. She drives a 2018 VW Passat GT now after her Hyundai SUV was totaled by hail. Why? Because it has 280hp V6, sport tuned suspension, dual exhaust, and it has a "nice little growl". She loves it.

She drives it all the time around town in Sport Mode. Drives me crazy when I'm riding with her.

My daughter has been riding motorcycles with me since she was 5 or 6, on the back of my Goldwing.... and in my Camaro, which she loves too. Yes, she's a Daddy's Girl... takes after me some ways.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #178
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
My 19 yr old daughter is into cars. ...not really muscle cars but the hot hatches. She likes Stis....Civic type r. Those kind of performance cars. That's her driving force knowing she can buy one after she completes her Paramedics schooling. So imo the younger crowd does have interest in cars but just a different type.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #179
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
My 19 yr old daughter is into cars. ...not really muscle cars but the hot hatches. She likes Stis....Civic type r. Those kind of performance cars. That's her driving force knowing she can buy one after she completes her Paramedics schooling. So imo the younger crowd does have interest in cars but just a different type.
At least a few of them do. Three identified here so far.

What does she have to say about the level of interest in cars among her classmates, recent past and present?

Norm
Old 09-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #180
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
IDK about the age thing.

My daughter is 20. She drives a 2018 VW Passat GT now after her Hyundai SUV was totaled by hail. Why? Because it has 280hp V6, sport tuned suspension, dual exhaust, and it has a "nice little growl". She loves it.

She drives it all the time around town in Sport Mode. Drives me crazy when I'm riding with her.

My daughter has been riding motorcycles with me since she was 5 or 6, on the back of my Goldwing.... and in my Camaro, which she loves too. Yes, she's a Daddy's Girl... takes after me some ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
They're the children of car buffs on a car forum, so obviously something rubbed off on them. These are the exceptions not the rule though.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #181
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
44k MSRP on mine. Sure, you throw on the ground effects, 6 piston brakes, MRC, lowering kit, etc etc etc etc yeah of course you're going to shoot the moon. It's not the standard.

Seems you have your own definition of "fully loaded", whatever it is.

A 2SS range goes up to $49k+, the extra 7k is for the 1LE package. You can jump up and down all you want, but still doesn't change the fact the 6th gen is ridiculously overpriced, nor the fact a new Corvette can be had for less.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #182
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
This! I have to beg my daughter to come out for driving lessons with me. Driving lessons are prioritized somewhere well behind homework. The notion of exploration, "seeing the world" and "freedom" isn't as strong as the previous generation or is non existent. We aren't rich by any stretch of the imagination but never say no to anything they want because they are such good kids (not spoiled at all). They just want to be in their rooms on their phones/computers/tablets/TV all the time. No shopping, no toys, no trips, they want nothing they want to do nothing. It's surreal. ...
Social media is the devil.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote