Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #1
NickSS1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Body Panels

Hi All -

I also posted this in a FB group so apologies for any duplicate reads for those that follow both.

Questions for folks that have higher miles/use from their 6th gen Camaros. I did a lot of research on the use of composites, aluminum, mild and high strength steels used to develop/make the body panels on our cars.

Panels are now lighter weight, thinner, more elasticity, etc.. They are also zinc coated and galvanized at the factory. The use of advanced steels has a higher tensile strength then previous generations of sheet metal (think of panel thickness on classic cars), thus panels can be thinner with the same or greater resistance to fatigue. Also the stress/strain points for yield strength is much higher.

The saying “they don’t make them like the use to” is correct. They make them better!

Long explanation for my question.. How are the higher miles/use cars body panels holding up to fatigue and/or corrosion?

Thanks for reading and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
NickSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
You’ll have electrical issues before any body issues.

Paint is definitely the lower end of quality.

I’m at 124k miles, almost all of my issues have been wiring related (rubbing through random areas)

If you get into a fender bender, you could potentially PDR or repair but I’ve had the hood and both fenders replaced since the cost for a used one was less than the repair cost, minus the fender; that thing is definitely meant to crumple
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote