Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #1
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
A8 Shudder / Wheel Balance

Put new wheels and tires on back in Nov. I loved the new handling of the tires and not feeling like the car had no suspension when the run flats were on the car.

Well a few weeks ago it felt like every road that I drove on was rough. Even freshly paved ones. But it wasn't constant, though it was consistent. At first I thought that my left front wheel was out of balance, but the vibration wasn't being felt every rotation of the tire, but it was being felt every few feet. If that makes sense.

Tire pressure is good. Then I remember reading on here about the A8 Transmission Shudder. This is something that, besides being felt in the steering wheel and floor boards, I could see it in the rear window.

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! I have 6 quarts of the Mobil One Blue Label ATF, a new Transmission Filter, a new Pan Seal and a hand pump being delivered before the weekend gets here. Saturday is looking to be 58° to 62° and sunny. Being 66 years old I still prefer to work on my bike and car myself.

I just hope that it isn't the Torque Converter. But if it is..... I'll also check the balance on my front wheels while I have the car up on jack stands.Just to make sure.

Any advice from those of you who have done this would be appreciated. I just reached 34,000 miles.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #2
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I just had the dealership do the transmission flush. and has been trouble free since. Good luck. I think there is a thread on here somewhere of some one doing it themselves.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
This was my suggestion in a previous thread. I’ve changed my fluid and filter twice and having a metal trim tool bent at 90° is helpful to remove the rubber plug.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=15

Here‘s the entire thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591040

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:28 PM   #4
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
Put new wheels and tires on back in Nov. I loved the new handling of the tires and not feeling like the car had no suspension when the run flats were on the car.

Well a few weeks ago it felt like every road that I drove on was rough. Even freshly paved ones. But it wasn't constant, though it was consistent. At first I thought that my left front wheel was out of balance, but the vibration wasn't being felt every rotation of the tire, but it was being felt every few feet. If that makes sense.

Tire pressure is good. Then I remember reading on here about the A8 Transmission Shudder. This is something that, besides being felt in the steering wheel and floor boards, I could see it in the rear window.

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! I have 6 quarts of the Mobil One Blue Label ATF, a new Transmission Filter, a new Pan Seal and a hand pump being delivered before the weekend gets here. Saturday is looking to be 58° to 62° and sunny. Being 66 years old I still prefer to work on my bike and car myself.

I just hope that it isn't the Torque Converter. But if it is..... I'll also check the balance on my front wheels while I have the car up on jack stands.Just to make sure.

Any advice from those of you who have done this would be appreciated. I just reached 34,000 miles.
Some advice from someone who did their own flush on my 2017 2SS with the A8.

Purchase another 6 quarts of the proper fluid. I can't remember exactly how much fluid cam out of my transmission when I pulled the pan but I think it was more than 6 quarts. And once you have the new fluid in and are following the proper fill procedure (definitely look up the procedure as you need to have the fluid at the proper temp, the car up in the air and level and the engine running, etc.), you can run the car and allow the old and new fluid to mix. Then drain out some fluid equivalent to the number of extra bottles that you have and then add back the new fluid. This way you will be getting out even more of the old fluid.

And I cannot emphasize that you need to follow the proper fill procedure. When I did my flush, I suspected that a dealership flush had already been done. I discovered that when I did the flush and the fill, my transmission was 2 quarts low and this would only happen if the fill procedure wasn't done right.

Second, there is a TSB for 2017 Camaro's for a transmission software issue that can cause a check engine light and make the 1st 1-2 shift of the day very harsh. My 2017 had this issue and all it needs is a software update. Dealership verified the problem, updated the software, and didn't charge me anything even those they recognized that my car has a custom engine tune (trans tune is still stock).

Third, it is not a bad idea to see if your tires/wheels need a re-balance. I took my car to Discount Tire for a re-balance in December of last year. I had two bend rims. Got those repaired but the car still felt a bit out of balance. I went back just this week to Discount Tire and the two wheels that were repaired were not very well balanced by the repair place. Discount tire did balance them perfectly. So its never a bad idea to check this as most tire shops that originally installed the tires will re-balance for free.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:03 AM   #5
truckrglenn

Without a dipstick, how do you know what the proper level is?

I've read a lot of users are saying take the car in and have the dealer do it. Well what happens when you're on a fixed income and don't have the money? You do it yourself. I'm retired and on a fixed income. That means I get a check once a month for the exact same as the previous month and the next month will be the same. After the bills are paid, I have $750 until the next months check. That $750 goes towards gas, food, medications.I have no credit cards.

Last edited by truckrglenn; 01-27-2023 at 01:42 AM.
truckrglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:37 AM   #6
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
Without a dipstick, how do you know what the proper level is?

I've read a lot of users are saying take the car in and have the dealer do it. Well what happens when you're on a fixed income and don't have the money? You do it yourself. I'm retired and on a fixed income. That means I get a check once a month for the exact same as the previous month and the next month will be the same. After the bills are paid, I have $750 until the next months check. That $750 goes towards gas, food, medications.I have no credit cards.
Here is a video of a trans fluid change for a C7 Corvette that has the same 8-speed auto as our Camaros:

You will need a hand pump to pump the fluid from the bottles into the fill port on the side of the transmission.

Dropping the pan on the Camaro should be easy versus the C7 as the C7 has its rear subframe in the way of a few of the trans pan bolts.

Once you have the new filter in and pan re-installed. You will need to pump in new fluid using your hand pump into the fill port on the side of the transmission.

Once you cannot put any more fluid in through the port and with the car still up in the air (I did mine up on jack stands), you will start the car and allow the trans fluid to come up to temp. My car has a trans temp option in the gauge cluster; if yours does not, you may need to get a cheap IR thermometer to read the temp of the trans pan.

You want the fluid to be between 131 and 149F. It will take a while for the cold fluid to get to this temp, 30 minutes or more.

When at temp, with the engine running, and car in PARK, you will remove the level plug which is on the pan.

Fluid may or may not come out at this point. If it does not, you will need to add fluid to the fill port on the side of the trans (ideally you want to do this with the car running but in park). Run through the gears to work out any trapped air bubbles after you have added fluid. Remove the level plug on the pan again. (When I did this, I had to add 2 quarts more. I think I was at 9 quarts total added at this point).

Once your fluid is at the right temp, with engine running, and in PARK, and you remove the level plug, and fluid is able to drain out, allow it to drain until it stops. Re-install the level plug.

And you are good to go.

The video I linked does a very nice job of showing the procedure. It really is not difficult.

One other thing, make sure the car is level once you have it up on jack stands to make sure the fluid level will be correct.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:34 AM   #7
truckrglenn

Greatly appreciated. I have four 3 ton jack stands which should give me plenty of room.

The procedure that you described is the way that I was planning to go. I just didn't know about the plug removal to check the fluid level.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:42 AM   #8
truckrglenn

My back is OFFICIALLY killing me, but I did a complete Transmission Fluid change including a new filter. From jacking the car up and sliding under it a few different times, to pouring the old fluid into old jugs to measure it. I used the hand pump to drain most of the fluid before dropping the pan.

I did make a little mess on the garage floor. I slid my drain pan out to get the transmission pan out, but I never slid the drain pan back under the tranny. The tranny pan sitting in the pic is after I had cleaned it. When I set it down is when I noticed the fluid on the floor.

Really strange thing though. I drained at least 7 quarts. So I pumped in 7 quarts of fresh new fluid. But after running the car to bring the tranny fluid up to temp, removing the check level screw, almost a whole quart drained out.

The good news is that after a short drive, then a longer one after a couple of hours, the shudder seems to gone.

My L3 & L4 vertebrate were damaged beyond repair 3-4 years ago. Every three months I get an epidural steroid shot in those two vertebrae. That usually keeps the pain under control. Nothing is going to stop me. Oh, I'm 66 1/2 years old.
Attached Images