Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #15
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
no tune with an NX lid was worth exactly 0mph straightaway speed at VIR...good news is it wasn't slower either.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:21 PM   #16
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
LMP Lid swap....

https://youtu.be/JfMYmRxUhMY

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:24 AM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It's the same deal as a rotofab big gulp or larger throttle body. On a stock car the gains are minimal. As you do more mods and increase boost, that is where these mods start to show more gains. It's a simple concept that most fail to understand.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:59 AM   #18
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It's the same deal as a rotofab big gulp or larger throttle body. On a stock car the gains are minimal. As you do more mods and increase boost, that is where these mods start to show more gains. It's a simple concept that most fail to understand.
it has been stated by many of the makers of these lids that there's no power to be gained unless you own a early model Z06 or a Cadillac CTS-V. The Camaro doesn't have the short lid issue.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I've seen both sides say the same things.

It seems like LMP did as good a back-to-back as possible, and it was a big gain. Having a wedge-type deflector above the discharge port makes sense, and would like it would positively impact flow, and it makes sense it would be at a flow rate one would find with an X-port, and higher PRs. It seems like these worked well on C6 ZL1 lids, too.

$1000 and 20-plus WHP doesn't sound too bad a return.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
The YENKO and Hennessy, Cars pushing out 1000 plus HP use the Stock OEM air box , the inlet tube has been changed , just observation from my standpoint . So why most Performance shops change out with there mods , and YENKO and Hennessy stay with the OEM unit. Picture of 23 YENKO/SC ZL1 at Barrett Jackson, Saturday.
Blower lids - not air box lids

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #21
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
it has been stated by many of the makers of these lids that there's no power to be gained unless you own a early model Z06 or a Cadillac CTS-V. The Camaro doesn't have the short lid issue.
Reread what I posted. Those companies are basing that on stock to lightly modded cars. On basically stock cars yes I agree...on cars that are more extensively modded they show gains...it's been proven. Your car isn't what I consider extensively modified so probably not worth it. The fastest stock blower car runs one...and has verified the gains on his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
The YENKO and Hennessy, Cars pushing out 1000 plus HP use the Stock OEM air box , the inlet tube has been changed , just observation from my standpoint . So why most Performance shops change out with there mods , and YENKO and Hennessy stay with the OEM unit. Picture of 23 YENKO/SC ZL1 at Barrett Jackson, Saturday.
Yeah and you could throw a Rotofab big gulp on that with a new tune and pick up 30whp...just because you can make X power with stock parts doesn't mean there isn't any power left on the table. Some prefer to make power through efficiency instead of increasing boost another psi and making the supercharger work harder to pull air in.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Reread what I posted. Those companies are basing that on stock to lightly modded cars. On basically stock cars yes I agree...on cars that are more extensively modded they show gains...it's been proven. Your car isn't what I consider extensively modified so probably not worth it. The fastest stock blower car runs one...and has verified the gains on his car.

Yeah and you could throw a Rotofab big gulp on that with a new tune and pick up 30whp...just because you can make X power with stock parts doesn't mean there isn't any power left on the table. Some prefer to make power through efficiency instead of increasing boost another psi and making the supercharger work harder to pull air in.
Even if it were true that you could gain 10whp on a 1000whp+ car, the vast majority of people shopping for lids aren't making anywhere near 1000whp to get said gains. Most are looking to bolt on a lid on a bolt on car and expect 20whp because of some of the companies shady advertising.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:32 AM   #23
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
My Maggy 2650 car picked up boost and leaned out with an aftermarket lid. I think there are gains to be made with a roots style supercharger depending on the design. With a roots style blower, compressing air against the lid and walls of the supercharger, the more you can make the air less turbulent the more power it will make. This is why a screw blower will always be better. Air is compressed as the air is pulled through the rotors. These short lid, short blower designs on modern platforms are restricted with a roots style blower IMO. A 2.4IHI hellcat motor has a screw blower with a very tall blower design. That is a big reason why those engines make big power easily IMO. They perform like a 2.9 whipple out of the box especially when ported. The redeye 2.7IHI is even more powerful. Now you have the 3.0IHI on the Hellephant 426 that uses the same rotors as the Whipple 3.0.
These blowers are screw type as well, not roots.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:41 AM   #24
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The GM / Eaton stuff is indeed all roots-style.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:47 AM   #25
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Even if it were true that you could gain 10whp on a 1000whp+ car, the vast majority of people shopping for lids aren't making anywhere near 1000whp to get said gains. Most are looking to bolt on a lid on a bolt on car and expect 20whp because of some of the companies shady advertising.
What do you mean "even if it were true"? It's been proven and backed up with results. And I just said what you basically did in my previous 2 posts. Stock/Mild build cars not going to make a big difference. Extensively modified cars it makes a much bigger difference just like larger throttle bodies and better flowing intakes do. With these transverse mounted superchargers, the lids are short which limits airflow without causing turbulence. When you spin these superchargers hard the flow efficiency improvements start to pay higher dividends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
These blowers are screw type as well, not roots.
Incorrect...The Whipple 2.9 on my SS is a screw type, along with the Hellcat superchargers. GM uses Eaton TVS roots lobes and has since the 90's.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #26
Z OH 6

Quote:
What do you mean "even if it were true"? It's been proven and backed up with results. And I just said what you basically did in my previous 2 posts. Stock/Mild build cars not going to make a big difference. Extensively modified cars it makes a much bigger difference just like larger throttle bodies and better flowing intakes do. With these transverse mounted superchargers, the lids are short which limits airflow without causing turbulence. When you spin these superchargers hard the flow efficiency improvements start to pay higher dividends.

Incorrect...The Whipple 2.9 on my SS is a screw type, along with the Hellcat superchargers. GM uses Eaton TVS roots lobes and has since the 90's.

Just reiterating there are ZERO gains on the ZL1 platform unless it's a near max effort. Again, most people shopping for these lids are not anywhere near max effort and still want to believe there's power to be gained due to misleading advertising. Seems like every time there's a new video of someone testing one of these lids, it's gets posted here like everyone should be interested because the video said there's gains to be had. It must be kept in context of the application.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #27
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Stick with OEM and save your money.

Work with someone like Janetty to remove issues with the stock tune and make it the best iteration of the existing hardware.

Then, take the car to the road course and enjoy!
Old 02-01-2023, 10:10 PM   #28
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
They are all TVS style rotors which are roots. Dodge is ahead of the 8 ball using screw blowers.

-You can’t package a screw blower in as small of a package but it will outperform a TVS blower all day everyday. Coming from someone who has two roots and one Whipple on vehicles currently.
A supercharger test stand will argue with you all day long... Haven't seen a screw that can deliver TVS performance and I've tested them all.
Now I will say the Whipple 3.0 is a great piece and a solid competitor for the 2650 thanks to it's extra displacement, my next Camaro just may have one of these.

Dodge went with IHI as they didn't want to be seen as following GM and Ford with Eaton - and they did a fantastic job marketing their cars!

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote