Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #15
tbair64

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Is that what you meant to type? These Lionharts don't appear to be run-flats, and run-flats are notoriously harsh riding.

"Tire to beat" kind of depends on what class you're in. But in no autocross series I know of is the PS4S (which is not the same as the PS4, but the PS4 is not as good) the best tire to run...unless it's raining. It's a 300tw tire that is an honest street tire and it's nearly magic in the rain. The same is true for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. But all autocross classes I know of allow for at least 200tw tires, and among those the Falken RT660, Yokohama A052, and possibly the Nankang CR1 and Bridgestone RE71RS are the tires to beat. They are in another league from the PS4S. Even the BFG Rival S and Falken RT615K+ are significantly faster.

However, I expect the PS4S to be significantly faster than the Lionhart unless the LH is a cheater tire that really doesn't last long and they gamed the UTQG rating (possible, but not probable). The Lionhart is an all-season tire, so I expect it doesn't really have a lot of grip above 40F compared to a "summer" tire.

All that said, I'll be interested to see your results!
Yes you are correct. Should have said PS4S. I'm suggesting that for a street tire that seems to be the highest rated tire by most in a comparison test to other max performance tires. Lionhart claims to be a high performance tire.
The auto cross will be used for nothing more than a controlled environment for testing. A little harder to do a head to head comparison on the street.
Do I expect the lionharts to preform as well. No But for all 4 tires is just a little more than 1 305/30/20 PS4S. I think it would be fair to say that at least 90 percent of people never even come close the limit of a tire. And I would be willing to bet that that number is even higher of people that never see a track day. maybe some back road spirited driving at most.
I could say the same about myself. I work in a well known automotive museum the majority of our collection are race cars. I have had the opportunity to drive several on the track as we still race most of our cars. And I can say even tho I like to think I have the skills of our professional driver. I do not. I'm much more suited to repairing/restoring/maintaining the cars. So for me and I'm sure many others autocross and some canyon carving is more my style. Just ran across this tire on chance and thought lets give it a try. pleasantly surprised so far but haven't really pushed tire to find it's limit. I will report back after testing.
I can say that my results will vary depending on driver. If you where to put our driver behind the wheel he would have a whole different view than myself.
tbair64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #16
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Imagine going into turn 10 at Sonoma and relying on a cheap Chinese junk tire to keep out out of the wall behind it.... ....40 to 50 times.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #17
tbair64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Imagine going into turn 10 at Sonoma and relying on a cheap Chinese junk tire to keep out out of the wall behind it.... ....40 to 50 times.
Imagine actually ready what is posted. taking what is said way out of context.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #18
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbair64 View Post
Do I expect the lionharts to preform as well. No But for all 4 tires is just a little more than 1 305/30/20 PS4S. I think it would be fair to say that at least 90 percent of people never even come close the limit of a tire. And I would be willing to bet that that number is even higher of people that never see a track day. maybe some back road spirited driving at most.
Oh, I agree with you on this. There are plenty of people who just need a cheap tire that fits and looks like a performance tire. And it has the bonus feature of being okay to drive on sub-freezing days. But in your case, in the first post you said plan to use the car for autocross competition on weekends. That tells me that grip will actually matter to you, unlike the folks who will never come close to the limit of a tire, never see a track, and never compete. That's why I said it's probably not the tire for you. But I'm still interested to get your results.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #19
tbair64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Oh, I agree with you on this. There are plenty of people who just need a cheap tire that fits and looks like a performance tire. And it has the bonus feature of being okay to drive on sub-freezing days. But in your case, in the first post you said plan to use the car for autocross competition on weekends. That tells me that grip will actually matter to you, unlike the folks who will never come close to the limit of a tire, never see a track, and never compete. That's why I said it's probably not the tire for you. But I'm still interested to get your results.
Your absolutely right. I have changed a bit from my first post. Car will still see double duty. But not with the Lionhart. Now more than anything I just want to see for myself what they are like. Maybe help someone else down the road with information.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #20
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Did you ever try them out?
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:14 AM   #21
tbair64

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_acm View Post
Did you ever try them out?
Yes, I have the Lionhart tires on the car. I have not done a comparison as of yet. But I will. Honestly they aren't horrible. Are they the best choice you could make. Absolutely not I believe there are much better tires. I think they could meet the needs of many without the expense of a Michelin or the likes.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #22
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbair64 View Post
Yes, I have the Lionhart tires on the car. I have not done a comparison as of yet. But I will. Honestly they aren't horrible. Are they the best choice you could make. Absolutely not I believe there are much better tires. I think they could meet the needs of many without the expense of a Michelin or the likes.
I put a set of lionheart tires on my wifes jeep about 3 years ago. No issues what so ever. I won't be putting them on my camaro but they are pretty good tires. I even put a set on my 2004 Avalanche and I have no complaints. You made a wizw choice if I say so.