Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
dewallis

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2ss
hand brake issue?

Hey guys NEED some help.
I have the 2SS I picked up a few weeks ago. I've noticed that EVERY TIME I first turn on the car and drive off I get a sound, that sounds like it's coming from the rear wheel wells sounds like the hand brake is still engaged (it isn't).

It happens every time I turn off the car and leave it to go in stores, next morning, etc. I brought it to the dealer and they said it's probably just getting rid of the crud on the brakes, but I'm not buying it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so where you able to fix?
dewallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I assume you mean the electronic parking brake? Are you actually engaging the Emergency Brake? Do you get any other dash lights, warning chimes or just the sound of brake pads on rotors? If you are engaging the EB then maybe you are right and it is not disengaging fully?
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
dewallis

No lights flashing, just coming out once push down on the 'handbrake' to release the brake the car makes that noise. I feel like the care hesitates a little, but it could be in my head. I want to bring it back to the dealer for a second opinion.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewallis View Post
No lights flashing, just coming out once push down on the 'handbrake' to release the brake the car makes that noise. I feel like the care hesitates a little, but it could be in my head. I want to bring it back to the dealer for a second opinion.
Just to clarify...

You roll into a spot, engage the parking brake. Shut off the car, and leave.

Then when you get back into the car - you turn it on, DISENGAGE the parking brake, and get a noise? Or are you just rolling off without pressing the button?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Blam2526

Drives: 16 2SS
In the manual, under the brake section, it does describe the ability to begin driving and it would auto disengage the brake. Haven't tried it but just the thought it was interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's page 218, automatic EPB release. Apparently it says you can use this to assist on hills, but don't see the need with hill hold assist.
Blam2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blam2526 View Post
In the manual, under the brake section, it does describe the ability to begin driving and it would auto disengage the brake. Haven't tried it but just the thought it was interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on that? It's page 218, automatic EPB release. Apparently it says you can use this to assist on hills, but don't see the need with hill hold assist.
If you give it gas its suppose to disengage, that does not happen all the time, computers are to slow.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
cartem2

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2LT RS
Iv got exact same sound, my service guy said its a vibration from one of the muffle mounting brackets, but I'm not buying that one ether. I just hope if it is anything major it will be covered whenever it gets bad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
M4dne55

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Are you disengaging the e-brake by pressing the brake pedal as well? and not just trying to disengage it by pressing on the e-brake button?

M4dne55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
dewallis

So, to clarify step by step:
- I turn on my car
- foot on the brake (it won't let you disengage otherwise. Unless they do the automatic disengage, I guess).
- physically push the button to disengage the ebrake (I don't trust the auto disengage, it sounds more trouble than it's worth and untrustworthy).
- and drive off and I hear the noise immediately and sometimes after I get to a turn 100 yards away from my house to make a turn.
- I get to my destination.
- park and engage the ebrake
- leave and come back
- repeat the actions and it happens again (usually happens after 30 minutes of being off).

I'm taking it to the dealership again today because it's gotten warmer and still happens and the dealership though it had something to do with the weather. I just think they are being lazy about it, but it's starting to become a huge concern from me.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
someone here had a penny stuck in their caliper - the dealer should at least be willing to pull the tire off and take a look, sheesh, i mean, let's just pull some crap out of the air and see what sticks.

or maybe they already looked at it????
Old 02-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
ocautomotive

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Hey guys NEED some help.
I have the 2SS I picked up a few weeks ago. I've noticed that EVERY TIME I first turn on the car and drive off I get a sound, that sounds like it's coming from the rear wheel wells sounds like the hand brake is still engaged (it isn't).

It happens every time I turn off the car and leave it to go in stores, next morning, etc. I brought it to the dealer and they said it's probably just getting rid of the crud on the brakes, but I'm not buying it.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so where you able to fix?
Mine does that too, it sounds like creaking in the rear. Only happens when the car is cold and it goes away after 2 minutes. I notice it when I turn
ocautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Clawson

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocautomotive View Post
Mine does that too, it sounds like creaking in the rear. Only happens when the car is cold and it goes away after 2 minutes. I notice it when I turn
May apply to opp too but mine is the same issue you describe and this is what I was told by GM and dealership so far today. It's at the dealer now getting this fixed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
So this is what I just got called and told that should answer your question and is different what they just told me this morning.

Yes all the parts are supposedly different on the 6gens except some badges.

***Service bulletin on 2015s 5gens with the rear end sound issue are suggested to have a new type of fluid put in and new type of seals that work with the fluid. (Sound familar..)

***Service bulletin on 2016 6gens is that if sound is heard then they need to flush a few times and do figure 8s in. GM says this has fixed any sound issues so far.

*The 6gens allready use the new fluid and type of seals needed in them and don't require the extra steps of the 15s*

Dealership said with that clarification no parts are needed and I should have my car later today.
Clawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
dewallis

So an update for you guys. The dealership did a differential change. (They had to call GM assistance) they changed it three times drove the car around 50 miles and made a bunch of turns. I just got it back today and it's still making the noise. They told me to drive it 500 miles because it takes that long for the lubricant to really make it way through the car. So here's hoping!!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #14
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
So an update for you guys. The dealership did a differential change. (They had to call GM assistance) they changed it three times drove the car around 50 miles and made a bunch of turns. I just got it back today and it's still making the noise. They told me to drive it 500 miles because it takes that long for the lubricant to really make it way through the car. So here's hoping!!
How did this end for you?
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, hand brake, issues