Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #29
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Insurance on my 2020 is dirt cheap. I was shocked how low it was.

I have a 20.9 lifetime average mpg too. That is with over 1200 "hard acceleration" events on my safe driving counter in about 5 months.

Ya, you guessed it..... the M6 option isn't being babied....
As far a fuel, the west side only has 91 and the motor knocks. I add a gallon of xylene to every 10 gallons and it brings it up to 93 and that solves the problem.

That gallon doubles the cost of the fuel. Although I did get a 5 gallon can over at Sherwin Williams and saved about $70 total over 1 gallon cans at the hardware store.
Years ago (about 20) I was looking for a 50gal drum. One place I called, “What do you need that much Xylene for?” “Because I’m tired of leaded wrecking my O2’s, why?”

I guess it’s used for making some illicit drug.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #30
Staves

Drives: women crazy
How anyone averages 20 or more in an LT1 or SS, I’ll never know. Must be mostly highway. Computer lies as well. Always 1-2mpg optimistic. I average 17 and don’t floor it all that much.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #31
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
My avg is 13 mpg so far with about 400 miles on my LT1.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #32
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
How anyone averages 20 or more in an LT1 or SS, I’ll never know. Must be mostly highway. Computer lies as well. Always 1-2mpg optimistic. I average 17 and don’t floor it all that much.
For reference, when I was in Fort McMurray(mostly highway), I average close to 20 MPG. I average about 13~14 MPG nowadays. The problem here is that everyone here drives too slowly and sometimes you have to wait multiple traffic light cycles before you get through. I think people here should be taught "green means gun it!"

That said, I have heard two cases of local Camaro V6 owners saying that they use about the same amount of gas as my SS 1LE, though they still pay less in gas because V6 only needs 87 while I feed mine 94.

Even my friend's Mazda6 isn't fairing that well in terms of gas mileage here, and I am not nearly as hard on the throttle as I am on the Camaro, so I think it's just the way traffic is here.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I say buy whichever Camaro you want because they won’t be around much longer and gas will probably go up in price due to the new administration going in office at the end of January. Enjoy the good times now in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #34
CHASLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I say buy whichever Camaro you want because they won’t be around much longer and gas will probably go up in price due to the new administration going in office at the end of January. Enjoy the good times now in my opinion.
I agree again.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #35
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Mostly highway is very likely, plus driving style matters a lot. Less than 25% throttle, slowly pull away from lights, keep rpms under 2500 and the trans in overdrive gears as much as possible. Vary speed according to elevation.

No wonder only very few drive like this just to get a couple mpg more.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #36
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I was kind of in the market for a truck back when Covid stopped everything in May time frame and dealers were desperate to sell. I landed my brand new 2019 Silverado 4WD truck for an unheard of only 28K. And it has the 5.3. It was timing, just like when you got your Camaro.

My V6 Camaro is a sweet car- not abused- no burnouts ever, shift so awesome. Only 18K miles. Has Stance forged 20" wheels. I want to trade it. I'll look for some LT1's- I think there are some in Miami. Very hard to find manuals around here.
From what I hear, it is tough to score a decent deal at the moment, lack of inventory allows the dealers to profit on the discounts that would have been yours. I would imagine any leftover 2020's could be had at a decent discount by late January, especially if you shop up north out of state during the colder days.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:24 AM   #37
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
No one has been elected yet.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:52 AM   #38
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Years ago (about 20) I was looking for a 50gal drum. One place I called, “What do you need that much Xylene for?” “Because I’m tired of leaded wrecking my O2’s, why?”

I guess it’s used for making some illicit drug.

Yes! They call it HORSEPOWER! The most expensive and addictive drug known to man!
Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #39
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Mostly highway is very likely, plus driving style matters a lot. Less than 25% throttle, slowly pull away from lights, keep rpms under 2500 and the trans in overdrive gears as much as possible. Vary speed according to elevation.

No wonder only very few drive like this just to get a couple mpg more.
Yeah I think I will take the 13~14 MPG and the awesome exhaust note. I don't think anyone bought an SS for the gas mileage, otherwise I would have gone with a Prius.

I can't even take it easy in the family car I am driving now, to be honest. Driving is just fun for me.

I bought the whole tachometer, so I am gonna use the whole tachometer(okay, not the red part, but you get what I am saying).

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #40
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
my fbo m6 car averages almost 18 on e70. which i think is great considering the car gets floored A LOT. last time it was out i made 5 back to back 50-150 pulls with a cammed ls3 c6 and maybe 3? other shorter pulls by myself. i don't baby the car, at all. when it was stock i was averaging 23 mpg with the same behavior. i don't dd it. maybe it's a difference of geography and traffic. when i long hauled the power tour with it i had a best 50 mile avg of 31 mpg. the car had 6k miles on it and about 300 lb of extra stuff. i really don't see how you guys are averaging such terrible mileage.

move way from the metropolis. for lots of reasons, really.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #41
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I find myself wanting a V8 muscle car with manual transmission. I was going to keep my V6 1LT manual transmission Camaro forever- I just miss the low end torque, power and sound of the V8.

So my options are low mileage used 1SS, a new LT1, used older Corvette or other older muscle car. I don't need any options other than V8 and rowing the gears. I love to drive, drive with the windows down, hear the engine rev, shift through the gears, feel the acceleration. My phone is in my pocket, and that is where it stays until I stop and park. Basic music on only on trips. I don't really care about tracking, super stereo, leather seats, etc. My current 1LT Camaro is very luxurious to me.

So, being close to retirement I worry somewhat about operating cost and insurance if I upgrade. My 2016 1LT is dirt cheap to run and insure. But you only live once- and to experience the V8 seems to be amazing to me.

Has anyone else made the upgrade from a turbo 4 or V6 to an SS or LT1? Difference in insurance and gas consumption (with the SS or LT1 taking premium which is about 1.00 more a gallon).

I have the option of also going with an older Corvette also- I am not sure if the insurance would it be lower or higher than a Camaro? I read somewhere that convertible Corvettes are low to insure?
When you are talking older Corvette, how old of a Corvette?
Also are looking for a weekend toy or daily driver?

As far as insurance goes a lot depends on your driving record and state you live in but overall the Corvette should be a little less. 1. you’re talking about an older version and 2. Corvette has a bit better rating because most people just weekend drive and it is an older crowd.

My C5 Corvette was cheaper to insure than the 2017 Camaro SS. I bought both new and over the years I really enjoyed both.

SS vs the LT1 model kind of depends on budget and what your looking for in a Camaro, one of the biggest differences are options. The LT1 was created by GM as a entry level V8 and is very limited on options compared to the SS. The LT1 doesn’t offer the coolers and performance tires that the SS has as standard equipment. However, the LT1 has all season tires and if your thinking daily driver that is a big plus and if you’re not big on some of the creature comforts the LT1 is a great car.

Sad to say since the LT1 has the same 455HP motor insurance companies put both cars in the same classification rate, no savings there.

MPG: I can only give you my best road trips to compare because mine have been weekend toys. I’ve only kept up with mileage on vacation trips to car shows, here are some MPG numbers around 70mph with a group over the years going from from Memphis to Bowling Green.

C5 Corvette 28mpg
C6 Corvette 31mpg
GEN6 Camaro SS 33mpg

I can tell you I’m glad I’ve owned Corvettes over the years, every guy in the USA should own at least one in his lifetime..LOL

Last edited by Memphis SS; 11-22-2020 at 05:45 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #42
CHASLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
When you are talking older Corvette, how old of a Corvette?
Also are looking for a weekend toy or daily driver?

As far as insurance goes a lot depends on your driving record and state you live in but overall the Corvette should be a little less. 1. you’re talking about an older version and 2. Corvette has a bit better rating because most people just weekend drive and it is an older crowd.

My C5 Corvette was cheaper to insure than the 2017 Camaro SS. I bought both new and over the years I really enjoyed both.

SS vs the LT1 model kind of depends on budget and what your looking for in a Camaro, one of the biggest differences are options. The LT1 was created by GM as a entry level V8 and is very limited on options compared to the SS. The LT1 doesn’t offer the coolers and performance tires that the SS has as standard equipment. However, the LT1 has all season tires and if your thinking daily driver that is a big plus and if you’re not big on some of the creature comforts the LT1 is a great car.

Sad to say since the LT1 has the same 455HP motor insurance companies put both cars in the same classification rate, no savings there.

MPG: I can only give you my best road trips to compare because mine have been weekend toys. I’ve only kept up with mileage on vacation trips to car shows, here are some MPG numbers around 70mph with a group over the years going from from Memphis to Bowling Green.

C5 Corvette 28mpg
C6 Corvette 31mpg
GEN6 Camaro SS 33mpg

I can tell you I’m glad I’ve owned Corvettes over the years, every guy in the USA should own at least one in his lifetime..LOL
I got 31mpg on my 2013 C6 all highway with no stops and no WOT runs. I would avg 15mpg in town. 99% of my driving is 4 miles to work and 4 miles to the store in 30 to 45mph zones with many lights.

Now that my vette club stopped all cruises i never get close to a highway.

Only got about 400 miles on my new 2021 LT1 i bought 5 weeks ago.