Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
My Whipple Story

I know Laynlo is going to be all over this one.

Anyhow early 2018 my Whipple build was completed. You can find my build thread here in the forced induction forums.

I read the stock settings with HP Tuners and shipped them off. Couple days later I had a calibrated tune. Loaded it up all seemed fine. Off to the races to test, car seemed to be very beastly I didn't know any better first time I had a supercharger. Got home and .... ding ding ding something bouncing around under cover of SC... while idling in driveway and I couldnt shut the car off fast enough dmg alreayd done. Its all in threads here (look up my posts if interested.)

That long story short...

1st Whipple casing was hosed and rotors hit the casing and sent shrapnel down into the cylinders. Whipple stood by the product sent me a new one after inspecting and seeing it was not "US" that did anything wrong during the install. Appreciated the quick turnaround and they were great.

Install new SC.

All good for 15K miles aside from other posts I put here on the forums asking about stuttering and surging at low speeds and other weirdness.

Then fast forward to my last post where the car would not start back in Nov. 19. No suggestions got it back. Not the fuse, not the atypical stuff.

Ready for this? Trailered it to performance place to get it running, and I wanted a pro tune.

Received call... Only 3 and 6 are firing sir... we are trying to figure out whats going on... tomorrow we'll swap out the plugs and do other tests. Week later I get a call plugs swapped out and they were foul. CYLINDER 1 failed compression, I think there is something wrong and you may have something like cracked piston/valve/stuck ring... we are not sure at this point. But the bad news is we probably need to tear it down and pull the heads.... roughly 22 hours labor.

Brief my boss who is frrrrrrrrrreakin out this will turn into 5, 10, $15K....

Get a call that they got it running. Flushed all the cylinders. I dont know all the stuff pros do but either way got the compression back.

Now today we are on the phone and he took a deep dive into the Whipple tune and stated it was a single density MAF tune that did not take the MAP into the equation at all and that he was working on a double density MAF/MAP tune and he was curious how I ended up with such a crap tune.

I explained how the stock settings are read with HP Tuners, send it to Whipple and then they send you a calibrated tune.... did not seem at all impressed by this.

Anyhow my car goes on the dyno next week. Will post some links when that happens.

The long story result is that I drove 15,000 miles with such fat a condition that the cyl1 ring stuck and plugs were fouled from so much carbon buildup.

Those of you asking about BOX TUNES... my personal experience is FD@#$)(*$ BOX TUNES.

Wish me luck I'm F@#$@#$ sick of the whole thing.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I too have wondered about the canned tunes they provide, Edelbrock does the same thing, I was looking at getting a Magi from Ted Jannetty and he does his own tuning, and that made me feel better about the whole situation; Sorry for your trouble brother, hope you get it all resolved.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Canned tunes are strictly marketing to help sell more product.

The fact these companies(not just Whipple) advertise you can bolt a supercharger kit on, load a tune and go is BS at best.

Any tune needs verified via data-logging software.

There is plenty of info out there supporting this. Canned tune issues have been discussed several times over the years.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Gregor

Drives: 2017 1SS
Very happy with my procharger tune, zero issues
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
KingLT1

There have been guys that have had issues with Procharger tunes too.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Good luck man, hope it all works out and puts up some good numbers. Not sure what I'd be all over and what every anyone chooses to run is up to them. I'm glad they took care of the first SC and stood by the product. Glad nothing went thru the motor because as I and many others know its not cheap to build even a stock motor and I'm on my 3rd motor and my wallet has decided this is the last one.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Damn that sucks sorry to hear that. I can't see buying a SC and leaving the CIA and stock exhaust on to run a can tune even if they claim the 3 year 36k coverage. Your leaving so much more performance on the table.

Personally I would never buy a Whipple just because all the belt horror stories on the 5th gens I saw 1st hand. Seems that some gen 6 owners had the same issue early on.

I hope you get it all sorted and running good!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
I too have wondered about the canned tunes they provide, Edelbrock does the same thing, I was looking at getting a Magi from Ted Jannetty and he does his own tuning, and that made me feel better about the whole situation; Sorry for your trouble brother, hope you get it all resolved.

Negative the Edelbrock corp is huge and has there own calibration department and uses Callaway to write a lot of there tunes or at least they did.

After All girls garage slapped on the blower the wife drove it around for months. Then the headers where finished at Borla for using our car as the R & D car to design them and the Atak system. We took the car to PowerFab and they dynoed the car 3x in a row 551 and 580 tq all fuel and air spot on. Powerfabs tuner said it was the best box tune he saw. that was on a Driveline dyno Edelbrock claimed 580 rwhp and powerfab said there's reads a little lower than a dynojet like edelbrock used. The headers picked up about 15 or 20 hp of course they were free and on 1 3/4 tubing..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
id spend the extra dollars for a tune rather then pray it works and when it doesn't spend a couple thousand to fix everything.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
80sMetalDude

thx for the well wishes on this. @Laynlo I was just poking some humor.

Anyhow I know I'm in good hands and can't wait to try the car tuned correctly.

The year and a half I drove it was just a constant guessing game feeling like something just wasnt right.

Lesson learned to act on it sooner than I did...
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Negative the Edelbrock corp is huge and has there own calibration department and uses Callaway to write a lot of there tunes or at least they did.

After All girls garage slapped on the blower the wife drove it around for months. Then the headers where finished at Borla for using our car as the R & D car to design them and the Atak system. We took the car to PowerFab and they dynoed the car 3x in a row 551 and 580 tq all fuel and air spot on. Powerfabs tuner said it was the best box tune he saw. that was on a Driveline dyno Edelbrock claimed 580 rwhp and powerfab said there's reads a little lower than a dynojet like edelbrock used. The headers picked up about 15 or 20 hp of course they were free and on 1 3/4 tubing..
I’m quite conflicted.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565285

The EForce is on my list of possibilities for forced induction in the future, & I had actually decided to look for a supplier I could utilize an HPT with as I wanted to make sure the tune I get fro Edelbrock was correct.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
KingLT1

Quote:
Damn that sucks sorry to hear that. I can't see buying a SC and leaving the CIA and stock exhaust on to run a can tune even if they claim the 3 year 36k coverage. Your leaving so much more performance on the table.

Personally I would never buy a Whipple just because all the belt horror stories on the 5th gens I saw 1st hand. Seems that some gen 6 owners had the same issue early on.

I hope you get it all sorted and running good!
Quote:

There isn't one kit that stands out being much better then the other. They all have their pros and cons...mostly pros. The Edelbrock wasn't all that on a LS3 either. PD stuff has came a long way since those days.

There are guys that have had good luck with the Whipple tune too. Canned tunes are a crap shoot plain and simple regardless of company. Some have had good luck others have not. Point remains every car is different and the tuning should always be verified by data-logging the car. You don't load a canned tune and drive off into the sunset thinking all is well.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
80sMetalDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
You don't load a canned tune and drive off into the sunset thinking all is well.
Lesson learned.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Kings is always poking so its ok and sometimes I deserve it. We've all been thru a lot of stuff and some have had worse luck then others but we've all survived so far.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote