Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
SquirrelyZL1

Drives: ZL1, C63S Coupe
Ordered ZL1, Have a few questions

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to all these great threads and reading material!

Just ordered a completely base 2021 ZL1 6MT in Summit White (Due to budget reasons).

I just had a few questions and want to thank you for any help in advance!

1. Is there an oil separator or is a catch can necessary?
2. I read that we should change diff fluid twice (once at 500 and once at 1,500), would it be ok to do this once at 1,500 miles?
3. What are some things you would recommend once the car is delivered?

Use for the car: Daily driver with 1-2 track days per month.

Thanks again for your advice!
SquirrelyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyZL1 View Post
First of all, I'd like to say thank you to all these great threads and reading material!

Just ordered a completely base 2021 ZL1 6MT in Summit White (Due to budget reasons).

I just had a few questions and want to thank you for any help in advance!

1. Is there an oil separator or is a catch can necessary?
2. I read that we should change diff fluid twice (once at 500 and once at 1,500), would it be ok to do this once at 1,500 miles?
3. What are some things you would recommend once the car is delivered?

Use for the car: Daily driver with 1-2 track days per month.

Thanks again for your advice!

1. Catch can highly advisable.
2. If your tracking the car, then follow the high performance maintenance schedule. Otherwise theres no need to change the diff fluid until the normal schedule.
3. Drive it
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
First of all, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the family!

These are all my opinions for these questions, but I would definitely go for a catch can on these cars. Direct injection(D.l.) has a higher chance of getting gas in the oil and other factors like some blow by is nice to mitigate with a catch can, most spring for Mighty Mouse or Elite Engineering. I personally went Mighty Mouse and have had no issues and like it a lot, especially mounting location as a Magnuson 2650 is in my future and the Elite sits in place of where the supercharger coolant reservoir will sit. I also did just one diff fluid change at 1.5k miles and my was fairly clean according to the dealer tech as I had it done with my free first oil change. I was planning on 500/1500 for both but just enjoyed the car too much I'm sure it's not the end of the world but I would also do it if you can. A few things I would get right away is the Zl1 Addons Rock Guards front & back, and their lift points for their pinch welds to safely lift the car. Both are very easy to install and will save some paint and a lot of heartache if the fender or something gets bent in like several members have had happen to them at different dealers and shops. Lastly enjoy the car!
Old 11-24-2020, 04:14 AM   #4
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Honest question: why don't catch cans come from the factory if they are so important? The manufacturer has to warrant the engine to 60K miles and would also want to be well known for reliability beyond warranty. Why not just engineer a catch can in to the system if the incentive is so high?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Direct injection engines badly need a catch can so its very advisable. There's no reason to change the diff fluid until the regular service interval which is 50K miles.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Honest question: why don't catch cans come from the factory if they are so important? The manufacturer has to warrant the engine to 60K miles and would also want to be well known for reliability beyond warranty. Why not just engineer a catch can in to the system if the incentive is so high?

They don't come from the factory because its another maintenance item that the consumer would likely forget to do. You can't let a catch can go without it being emptied and many consumers wouldn't do it leading to major issues if it fills up.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
All I know with the catch can is you really have to know how your dealership would react if you brought it in for warranty work. My warranty on my 2017 is almost over so I am just waiting to throw a catch can on. But if you have a good relationship with the dealership techs and advisors you can probably get away with it if something were to happen to the engine. Its just a messy game your playing if you aren't sure what the dealership would say.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
1. Yes there is a built-in oil separator. No you don't need a catch can unless you're doing big power mods, which IMO you should avoid if you're going to be at the track every other week. Racing breaks enough stuff as it is, save your money for your track consumables.

2. Oil yes at 500 and 1500. Diff oil change per the track setup guide. More than that is not necessary, IMO as you'll be changing both often if you follow the track setup guide.

3. PPF all the way around and rock guards wouldn't hurt for the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Because average Joe and Jane American won't check the can enough and it's not worth the cost to add idiot lights for when the thing fills up with condensate from short trips every 2 weeks in the winter. Imagine yourself as the service writer.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Thanks for the replies fellas.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Wouldn't a catch can void his warranty? Just throwing it out there in case he wants to keep it intact.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
One thing I'll add is when you get the car, check to make sure the shipping spacers are removed from the front suspension.

Lots of dealers still leave them in even when it's a part of the pre delivery inspection.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Wouldn't a catch can void his warranty? Just throwing it out there in case he wants to keep it intact.
If properly installed and maintained it is unlikely ever to cause any problem at all. But some dealers could point to the CC as a cause of an engine problem as a basis to deny warranty work to fix the problem. Plenty of threads already on this. I have run an Elite catch can on all my modified vehicles. Never had a problem caused by the CC. But my warranty was already gone because of other mods, so haggling over warranty work has never came up.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Definitely get rock guards, lift pads and some PPF at minimum in the key areas.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
Outahand

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Do the rear end oil.

First change came out dirty....

Second not so bad.
87 Grand National. Stock
65 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon Grand National motor/tran
66 Bronco Rockbuggy
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed
Outahand is offline   Reply With Quote