Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #57
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Has anyone else made the upgrade from a turbo 4 or V6 to an SS or LT1? Difference in insurance and gas consumption (with the SS or LT1 taking premium which is about 1.00 more a gallon).

I have the option of also going with an older Corvette also- I am not sure if the insurance would it be lower or higher than a Camaro? I read somewhere that convertible Corvettes are low to insure?
Call your current insurance carrier for a quote. That's the only way to compare apples. If this is going to be a weekend toy only (not a daily driver or errands-runner), you can also check out Grundy for a declared-value collector quote.

You can do the math on fuel. For budgeting, take much you use now and add 50% to volume consumption/month in gallons. Then multiply by the price increase. Or the easy way: double your current spend.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #58
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Thanks for the responses everyone. The LT1 or 1SS sounds like it is the car for me. And with NPP. No NPP is a deal breaker.

I wish I could keep my 20 X 10 square Stance wheel and tire set up and put them on the new LT1 or SS. I may have to buy some cheap 18" wheels and tires as I sold my original wheels and tires. I love my black Stance forged wheels- best wheels I ever owned.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #59
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Keep the wheels to put on the LT1 if you buy one. Check on eBay or the classified section on this forum for wheels you could put on your Camaro that you have now.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #60
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. The LT1 or 1SS sounds like it is the car for me. And with NPP. No NPP is a deal breaker.
You could always get a non-NPP car and put on an axle back. My 1SS had zero options besides the A10. Bought a Borla S-type. Cost $1K installed. IMO sounds better than the NPP. I only have single outlets on both sides but they're big a$$ tips.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #61
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
You could always get a non-NPP car and put on an axle back. My 1SS had zero options besides the A10. Bought a Borla S-type. Cost $1K installed. IMO sounds better than the NPP. I only have single outlets on both sides but they're big a$$ tips.
NPP does give you the option to quiet it down at times, like when you are just cruising.

The NPP exhaust is pretty smart. It pretty much gives me the noise when I want it and quiets down when I am just cruising in Sport mode. Being quiet can be good if you have picky neighbours, or you just don't want a ton of attention sometimes from the pops and crackles.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #62
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
NPP does give you the option to quiet it down at times, like when you are just cruising.

The NPP exhaust is pretty smart. It pretty much gives me the noise when I want it and quiets down when I am just cruising in Sport mode. Being quiet can be good if you have picky neighbours, or you just don't want a ton of attention sometimes from the pops and crackles.

Sent from toaster or something
Borla s-type has a mellow burble when cruising. It only gets loud when you get on it. I've never once wanted to adjust the exhaust level while driving....just got back from an 800 mi trip. Only a quiet start-up is desirable as I'm in an underground parking garage and a late night or early morning start could potentially wake up some people but I rarely have those outings.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #63
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i paid $1.88 for the 104 here
I didn't know they still sold 104 Octane. What station? The highest we get on the east coast is 93 octane.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #64
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
I got 31mpg on my 2013 C6 all highway with no stops and no WOT runs. I would avg 15mpg in town. 99% of my driving is 4 miles to work and 4 miles to the store in 30 to 45mph zones with many lights.

Now that my vette club stopped all cruises i never get close to a highway.

Only got about 400 miles on my new 2021 LT1 i bought 5 weeks ago.
I've gotten about 28 mpg on a straight flat road at about 65mph in my SS 6 speed. Not bad for 455HP/TQ and a 3:73 Rear end. Damn good actually.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #65
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I didn't know they still sold 104 Octane. What station? The highest we get on the east coast is 93 octane.
ethanol..
Old 11-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #66
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
I've gotten about 28 mpg on a straight flat road at about 65mph in my SS 6 speed. Not bad for 455HP/TQ and a 3:73 Rear end. Damn good actually.
That seems about right.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #67
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I thought about this too although I still can't get my V6 exhaust quite right aftermarket. Stock with no NPP was terrible- no sound at all. I installed MBRP axle back and did not like the sound- changing- it was very raspy at upper RPM's. I went to dual Flowmasters and now it drones bad at 2K RPM. I'm up to over 1K investment in exhausts and quite a bit of labor.....

It would be nice to get a new LT1 or SS ready to go the way I like it and not have to get exhaust, wheels, tires, etc. Been there, done that too many times now!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #68
JT58

Quote:
This is not bad at all. I get about 33-35 in my V6 at 50-55. It goes down proportionally if I go faster. At 70-75 it's about 28-29.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #69
Z28James

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS; 2020 Bolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Call your current insurance carrier for a quote. That's the only way to compare apples. If this is going to be a weekend toy only (not a daily driver or errands-runner), you can also check out Grundy for a declared-value collector quote.

You can do the math on fuel. For budgeting, take much you use now and add 50% to volume consumption/month in gallons. Then multiply by the price increase. Or the easy way: double your current spend.

This is good advice, just get the quotes and use a Vin number off of a car you would consider getting. For example I saw a 2020 Convertible 2SS online that I wasn't going to get, but wanted to know what the insurance would cost so I had idea of what to expect.

What makes a big difference is the mileage you are going to put on the car, if you tell the insurance company its going to be your primary car it will be higher. I have a 2012 Wrangler as my daily driver and my wife has a 2016 Cherokee....the insurance is actually higher on those my 2020 SS. When I was looking at new Camaros...the insurance didn't make a difference between convertible or hard top in my particular situation.
Z28James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #70
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
JT, go ahead and make the jump to a 1SS or LT1! I really don’t think you will have any regrets doing so and will enjoy the new found hp and sound of the 6.2 liter LT1 engine!