Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #71
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
So I am home early from work for a change, and getting ready to do some cleaning.
Here are some pics of my microfibers before I get started.
Pictures are micros clean inspected and stored in sealed ziplocks.
The blue and grey micros are for Waterless use ONLY.
A Picture of rinseless specific Mitts, which can be used with traditional as well, but they were designed for primarily rinseless.
Drying Micro, these are amazing.
I hope to picture document most from here on out, i am not however good at editing, or inserting pictures in the proper locations so will see how it goes.
Attached Images

Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #72
Nor Cal ZL1

Curent paint condition. Truck lives outside, has been sitting in wind and rain for several weeks. Coating is Gtechniq. Has not been washed in several weeks. This could be a traditional wash, but a rinseless is totally safe, even a waterless would work.
I will use Car Pre Ech2o as the rinseless. Pictured here I have cleaned and reused a microfiber soap, so that the measuring part can be used.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #73
Nor Cal ZL1

Since the dirt level is pretty light I used 1.5 oz of Ech2o to 1.5 gallons. This gives me a little extra to spray some of on as a presoak. Keep in mind cars that sit tend to get ditry on the horizontal surfaces, so I will heavily presoak there. A driven car is much different and is far dirtier down the sides from brake dust, and the rear, so those areas will benefit from one as well.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #74
Nor Cal ZL1

Here is half of the hood wiped with the Mitt. Note the dirt captured by the Mitt. The Mitt also release the dirt well in the rinse buckets, which will be pictured. Aslo a couple of shots of how it lays on the paint. Here is the first rinse of the Mitt. At the end we will take a look at bucket conditions
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #75
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
Beauty video.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #76
Nor Cal ZL1

Now to dry the panel. Here are the two towels I prefer. And the hood when dried off. Ech2o can be used in the sun as well, but I have not tried that as of yet. When it is cooler like it is now you can easily do most of the car before drying. Here are pics and links for the towels.
http://www.autogeek.net/big-blue-drying-towel.html
http://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-large-silk-dryer.html
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #77
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Beauty video.
Lol Cleaver Brooks bro. Industrial Havc guy here, with a little OCD.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #78
Nor Cal ZL1

Now for the coating detail spray mix. I use these. One for detailer, one for waterless mixtures. They are 48 oz capacity. The mix from Car pro is pretty wide. I mix it a bit lean and add some Car Pro reload, or Gyeon Cure to the mix. This amps the gloss, as well as add protection. This method keeps the coating just like day one.
For this sprayer add 2 oz of Ech2o, 2 oz of reload, or cure, to about 40 to 48 oz of fiotered or distilled water. Always shake products before adding to the sprayer, and shake the sprayer as well before use.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #79
Nor Cal ZL1

Spray the area with a fine mist of the mixture and then spread in straight lines and allow it to flash off a bit. Im fighting the weather and threat of rain, so I am not sure how this will turn out.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #80
Nor Cal ZL1

Drying. Waterless or rinseless need to be gently wiped off. I use straight lines for all wiping. Towel selection here is either a waffle weave micro, or sometimes a plush micro works well. Its going to feel a bit grabby at first, then super slick as you finish. Here is the finished hood.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #81
Nor Cal ZL1

A little rain falling...... figures.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #82
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Good pics....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #83
Nor Cal ZL1

Thanks Glen. My first go round with writing about how I approach this. Here are some finishing shots and comments on the coated rinseless wash. This is how I do it, there are many options to do this, and any feedback or optional methods are welcome, as well as a black hole of possible products. This is my attempt to keep it streamlined, and to the point product wise, with good results.

I should add after finishing I wish there was actually more dirt to shiw how well.this can work, but I will add when it is dirtiy, I utilize a second rinse bucket to keep the original bucket clean.

I also need to add, as I see bonded contaminates, I DO NOT scrub them. Make note of them and hit it with clay later for removal. That said coatings greatly reduce the bonding to begin with.

Also inspect even your clean an inspected micros before applying them against the paint. You just never know, these things pick up everything. It is also good to have a well prepared work area, clean and organized. AlWAYS take a quick look at the mcrofibers before touching the paint.

Anyway to the pics. Wish the sun was out for better lighting.

After use of the buckets. The original solution is clean. Good thing I have O ring buckets, will save it for my Wife's car tomorrow.

Second bucket has some debris.

Finished surface.

In retrospect, I think I will write this up again on a dirtier car, like my ZL1 after a looooong road trip. It really will give a better example, as these cars like to spew brake dust, and rubber all down the sides and back of the car.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #84
Nor Cal ZL1

Next up is Waterless which will be followed up with coating repair/touch up, and then by microfiber care, to finish with a review of the different coatings I have used. The techniques I am covering here for after care and repair/ touch up are universal between them as I have experienced so far.