Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Best route in terms of reliability?

I'm looking to go forced induction to achieve a goal of around 700-750 WHP and wanted to ask some of the more knowledgeable people here what the best route would be to achieve this reliably. I'm looking at something along the line of a whipple supercharger, ECS/Procharger, or twin turbos. I'll be running E85 and other supporting mods, but I would like to know which route would be best for a daily driver, with best reliability and lowest maintenance. I feel like the centrifugal or turbo setups would be the most reliable, but would like to hear your opions. Thanks!

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Have you read my thread "supercharger decision assistance"? If you haven't then you might want to start there. Tons of great info.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Thank you ^ I haven't read it because I thought it would only deal with superchargers, but it looks like everything was brought up at some point in that 26 pages lol. I will definitely be looking at going centrifugal or turbos when it comes time to make the leap

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post
Thank you ^ I haven't read it because I thought it would only deal with superchargers, but it looks like everything was brought up at some point in that 26 pages lol. I will definitely be looking at going centrifugal or turbos when it comes time to make the leap
Lol. I know it's long and I keep adding to it. I always hope it's helpful. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Big Twins ( . )( . ) for a DD.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I went the full LT4 route since the engine is built from the ground up to be supercharged. I think an LT4 with an E85 setup would probably get you where you want to be.

You can buy mine and you'll be mostly there :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222370848216
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
LesBaer
FMPG

With the Maggie and ARH long tubes I haven't had a single problem...not even a CEL or high temps in over 10k miles and I matched the acceleration performance numbers published by GM for the A10 with my M6. The LT4 definitely has a higher power ceiling but it's overkill if you're not going to push the car over 650-700rwhp or track it. All of those extra coolers on the ZL1 add weight but are needed for the LT4 supercharger to control heat soak. There's about a 240lbs difference between a stock ZL1 and a 2SS but I don't know exactly which parts contribute how much to the difference.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
All of those extra coolers on the ZL1 add weight but are needed for the LT4 supercharger to control heat soak. There's about a 240lbs difference between a stock ZL1 and a 2SS but I don't know exactly which parts contribute how much to the difference.
There's certainly nothing wrong with doing an LT1 build. It really just depends on your goals. Just be mindful that the high pressure fuel system on the LT1 does start tapping out at about 600 WHP. (That's why you see people using the underdrive pulley when putting an LT4 supercharger on the LT1.)

On the ZL1, almost all of the weight difference is in the heavier differential, axles, sway bars, and added supercharger. There is only one added heat exchanger for the supercharger and it weighs next to nothing. I've never seen an official list of the 11 exchangers GM references, but in the front of the car, the 2SS has all of the same exchangers except the one for the supercharger.

It's certainly not accurate to imply the LT4 has a weight disadvantage. I would think an LT1 with an aftermarket supercharger probably weighs a touch more than an LT4, but the weight difference is almost certainly negligible.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

Yes I'm switching to the LT4 fuel system right now as we speak actually.

I did not imply the LT4 has a weight disadvantage so please don't take things out of context and twist my words around because you're feeling butt-hurt. I clearly said I don't know what the weight difference is and that I had no idea what the parts weighed. 240lbs difference was ZL1 vs. 2SS not LT4 vs. LT1. Whoever cares about the weight difference can do the homework and come up with actual weights.

What I will say though straight up so there's no confusion is that the LT4 SC not as efficient of a SC for anyone wishing to push the LT4 engine to achieve higher performance goals. Bigger is better and others cool much more efficiently.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
travislambert

Quote:
Yes I'm switching to the LT4 fuel system right now as we speak actually.

I did not imply the LT4 has a weight disadvantage so please don't take things out of context and twist my words around because you're feeling butt-hurt. I clearly said I don't know what the weight difference is and that I had no idea what the parts weighed. 240lbs difference was ZL1 vs. 2SS not LT4 vs. LT1. Whoever cares about the weight difference can do the homework and come up with actual weights.

What I will say though straight up so there's no confusion is that the LT4 SC not as efficient of a SC for anyone wishing to push the LT4 engine to achieve higher performance goals. Bigger is better and others cool much more efficiently.
Now let's be fair... I didn't twist anything and I'm certainly not butt-hurt. You brought up weight and made the claim "All of those extra coolers on the ZL1"... "are needed for the LT4 supercharger to control heat soak." I don't know why you would bring up weight and make that statement unless you are trying to make a point that the LT4 has a weight disadvantage due to its cooling requirements. If not, then I can only assume the weight comment was just a random bit of ZL1/2SS trivia you tacked onto the end of your post?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I just wanted everyone to know that "all of those extra coolers" for the supercharger happens to be one heat exchanger that weighs next to nothing. The heat soak issues are mainly due to the lack of a coolant reservoir and the tiny size of the heat exchanger. Without a lot of coolant, it absolutely gets heat soaked easily which is why airflow is so important with this design.

For the supercharger, I totally agree with your point. The LT4 supercharger is sized for about 10-11 psi of boost at 6,600 (engine) RPM on a 6.2l. If you want higher RPMs, more engine displacement, and/or more boost, you're going to want a supercharger that can displace more air. If you need to displace more air, a higher displacement supercharger will accomplish that more efficiently. There's no doubt about that. If you are happy with 730-750 horsepower (crank) or so, then the stock supercharger is just fine.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Now let's be fair... I didn't twist anything and I'm certainly not butt-hurt. You brought up weight and made the claim "All of those extra coolers on the ZL1"... "are needed for the LT4 supercharger to control heat soak." I don't know why you would bring up weight and make that statement unless you are trying to make a point that the LT4 has a weight disadvantage due to its cooling requirements. If not, then I can only assume the weight comment was just a random bit of ZL1/2SS trivia you tacked onto the end of your post?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I just wanted everyone to know that "all of those extra coolers" for the supercharger happens to be one heat exchanger that weighs next to nothing. The heat soak issues are mainly due to the lack of a coolant reservoir and the tiny size of the heat exchanger. Without a lot of coolant, it absolutely gets heat soaked easily which is why airflow is so important with this design.

For the supercharger, I totally agree with your point. The LT4 supercharger is sized for about 10-11 psi of boost at 6,600 (engine) RPM on a 6.2l. If you want higher RPMs, more engine displacement, and/or more boost, you're going to want a supercharger that can displace more air. If you need to displace more air, a higher displacement supercharger will accomplish that more efficiently. There's no doubt about that. If you are happy with 730-750 horsepower (crank) or so, then the stock supercharger is just fine.
I literally meant what I said and wasn't inferring anything. Everyone knows the C7Z overheated so they added a extra cooling to the ZL1. I said I don't know how much the extra cooling weighs. Really, I have no idea - I just picked up on the weight difference of the ZL1 after reading a review and was shocked by it. Out of the 240lbs I don't know how much is ELSD, inter-coolers, etc. When you figure that car has forged internals and forged wheels which are lighter, it makes you wonder. I definitely did not say that the LT4 weighs more than the LT1 engine. I would love to have an LT4 engine over the LT1, trust me, I'm jealous of you! ...but that blower would end up on ebay.

Can I ask you why you didn't just sell your SS or trade it towards a ZL1? Was it really more cost effective to buy the crate engine and pay for all of that labor vs. the depreciation?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
travislambert

Quote:
Can I ask you why you didn't just sell your SS or trade it towards a ZL1? Was it really more cost effective to buy the crate engine and pay for all of that labor vs. the depreciation?
I bought the LT4 in July and installed it in August. At the time it wasn't 100% clear when the ZL1 would be out, what the dealer markups were going to be, etc.. Doing what I did allowed me to get my ZL1 early, so to speak, and it seemed like a fun project.

I did all of the work myself, so I didn't pay for any labor, but the project still wasn't cost effective being that I had to figure everything out on my own. Now that I've done it once, I could do another LT4 swap with a few days labor and about 9k (after selling the LT1). My car makes over 605 horsepower and 633 tq (SAE) to the wheels with stock everything and a very conservative tune. When you compare that to a supercharger setup on an LT1, it's not a bad option.

For those dead set on upgrading their SS, the LT4 is a great way to go. With that said, the ZL1 is probably a better alternative for most people with all things considered.

Last edited by travislambert; 01-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
LesBaer
FMPG

Wow that's amazing that you did this all yourself. I can only imagine the time spent and things you've learned.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post
I'm looking to go forced induction to achieve a goal of around 700-750 WHP and wanted to ask some of the more knowledgeable people here what the best route would be to achieve this reliably. I'm looking at something along the line of a whipple supercharger, ECS/Procharger, or twin turbos. I'll be running E85 and other supporting mods, but I would like to know which route would be best for a daily driver, with best reliability and lowest maintenance. I feel like the centrifugal or turbo setups would be the most reliable, but would like to hear your opions. Thanks!
I can certainly help you, Feel free to give me a call, there is a lot of ground to cover for a build of this magnitude.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote