Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
To cam or not to cam...

I'm trying to make a difficult decision as I plan out my next set of performance upgrades. At face value I'm very interested in the performance benefits of a custom cam with my SC, but it's a costly upgrade and I don't have anything to compare it to. I don't think there are very many cammed gen6 Camaros out there and I've never driven cammed 6 speed - but I know about rough idles, stalling etc. What I've asked for is to not have my drivability negatively impacted since I enjoy driving the car to work 40 miles each way when the weather is good, and depending on when I leave the office, could find myself in rush hour traffic.

So if I do this, can you guys think of anything that I may not like about the car after it's done? I'm a little hesitant to do it because I'm afraid that I may regret not going more aggressive down the road, or there might be something that I haven't thought of that I'll realize after living with the car.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
grammy

Drives: 2016 SSupercharged, 2012 Camaro SS
tagged to follow
Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I drove a cammed full bolt-on Gen 5 LS3 for 17K miles with no real problems or concerns for drivability. A good tune/tuner for the cam chosen will make all the difference. Mine was road and dyno tuned. I see Jannetty in your sig. He can handle the tune for you - no problem.

The only thing I had to watch was that the engine would lug and surge faster than stock on a coast down in a higher gear. I just had to adjust for that and down shift a little sooner. No biggie. One thing for certain is that the rest of the crowd will know your there in some bumper to bumper rush hour traffic as with your headers to go with the cam idle everyone will know you are there. No sneaking up on anyone.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 12-15-2016 at 05:45 AM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Your options are as wide as a six lane highway with that stick car... Just make 228in duration your absolute most and you will be fine...
Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
LesBaer
FMPG

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info...you know how it is when are you're about to pull the trigger on something new for the first time I was a little afraid that I may be asking for my cake and wanting to eat it to. I haven't completely made up my mind yet but it's good to hear some positive reinforcement. Seeing that hot cam option that Chevy released for the LT1 is also a good sign, but I know a custom cam from DaVinci himself would be much better. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this long-term.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Les, what are you trying to accomplish with your car (drag racing, road course, street only, combination of things, or just big power bragging rights). Answer that, and that should be your guide as to what makes sense.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
LesBaer
FMPG

Well, I hashed out everything with my personal DaVinci of the Dyno today. Talked through a few different options and a decision was made...I'm going to cam. It's winter here so I'm not going to rush it or go crazy posting updates until it's ready. Parts have to be ordered, we've got to get the car there when the weather permits, etc. I'm staying on 93 octane and just going to shoot for 650-700rwhp so I can still (hopefully) put the power down with my Michelins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Les, what are you trying to accomplish with your car (drag racing, road course, street only, combination of things, or just big power bragging rights). Answer that, and that should be your guide as to what makes sense.
Right now it's my "summer car" and never been tracked. It's pristine but I've already put 11k (mainly highway) miles on it due to my commute. I also have some great farm roads near me that I enjoy. I'm just thinking ahead to what I'd potentially do with it in a few years once it's not so new anymore and if I have more free time. I'd love to take it to the strip or a track day, so I was just concerned I'd pigeon hole myself if I really got into racing as a hobby.

I'm not going to lie, getting the blower, headers and tune with a 6 speed have made it absolutely intoxicating to drive. I don't make videos or care about one-upping people. I spend the vast majority of my time working, taking care of a severely autistic child, and a 15 year old blind, deaf, one eyed jack russell lol. It's amazing how much downshifting and boost do to help preserve my sanity

Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #8
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
Well, I hashed out everything with my personal DaVinci of the Dyno today. Talked through a few different options and a decision was made...I'm going to cam. It's winter here so I'm not going to rush it or go crazy posting updates until it's ready. Parts have to be ordered, we've got to get the car there when the weather permits, etc. I'm staying on 93 octane and just going to shoot for 650-700rwhp so I can still (hopefully) put the power down with my Michelins.

Right now it's my "summer car" and never been tracked. It's pristine but I've already put 11k (mainly highway) miles on it due to my commute. I also have some great farm roads near me that I enjoy. I'm just thinking ahead to what I'd potentially do with it in a few years once it's not so new anymore and if I have more free time. I'd love to take it to the strip or a track day, so I was just concerned I'd pigeon hole myself if I really got into racing as a hobby.

I'm not going to lie, getting the blower, headers and tune with a 6 speed have made it absolutely intoxicating to drive. I don't make videos or care about one-upping people. I spend the vast majority of my time working, taking care of a severely autistic child, and a 15 year old blind, deaf, one eyed jack russell lol. It's amazing how much downshifting and boost do to help preserve my sanity
What cam did you decide on?
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
LesBaer
FMPG

It'll be custom made to ensure drivability and support fueling on 93 octane. There are a lot of components to this, but I'll also be upgrading my fuel system so I can move to a smaller pulley.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Sounds good. Look forward to hearing about the final results when the time comes.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post

Its good to have a vehicle to enjoy to get away from life's stressful times, especially given your personal situation. Maybe you should try both types of racing first and see what you enjoy. If its racing on a road course you may not want a cam at all, but if you desire, pick one that makes power in a band where it will do the most good. If its drag racing, there are probably several on here that could give you some suggestions. Might also want to consider upgrading your valve train and crank/rods/pistonsfor durability if you go the cam route.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
I'm asking myself the same question. I've made a lot of power with my mods. Heads/Cam is next. It's just a lot of money to add that power. Not to mention, I can't put the power I have down. It could use a little better top end though and the cam would do that......

Decisions; decisions.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Good choice on the custom grind. As mentioned by another, don't get into the higher duration and avoid too much overlap to keep the manners in place. Plus the best bet will be an increase in fuel lobe to support future efforts.

Would really love to see you eventually track or drag this car to get some real world metrics out of it. You obviously don't need to be the greatest, but your car has come together really well and to just put a figure on it would be nice to see. If yours was an A8, it would be my favorite build so far. =)
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #14
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I did a custom BTR cam, drives great, daily I traffic with no issues, 680 rwhp on 91 pump, I can make more but ran out of low side pump, working on a prototype pump now.
These are a lot of work compared to the LS motors, best advise I can give you is don't shortcut it like a lot of people do. I also went with a smoother idle cam, don't get me wrong its a good size cam just a higher LSA to smooth it out. Oh one more thing, scrap the K&N and get yourself a RotoFab CAI.
Attached Images