Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #15
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Those tires were on it only for the photo session. On the track they ran a new set of the sock tires. Here is what they said in their comment on the video:

"There were some rumors that we didn't use the Goodyear tire on the ZL1 1LE for the test. That's not true! We used the Michelin Cup 2 tire only for the photo shooting and a set of brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R for the whole test including the lap time. Why was the ZR1 as fast as Z06? The outside temperature was much higher than the temperature on the day we tested the Z06. You can read the whole story in new sport auto 8/2018."
Also, consider that a "brand new" R compound will not perform nearly as well as a broken in tire with a few hours of scuff and a heat cycle or two.

With that said, that new ZR1 is a world class beast. Smoked the Ford GT at VIR and a tic behind at Willow. A better race may have been ZLE vs. Ford GT.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #16
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
3 seconds in any type of racing is huge. The difference is winning and not being even in the same field.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #17
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
3 seconds in any type of racing is huge. The difference is winning and not being even in the same field.
Racing and solo timed events are two totally different animals.

You have now placed an innumerable amount of variables into the equation. Most notably, one car on the track as opposed to 20-40.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I gotta agree that a 3 sec difference means that they aren't even on level ground. It literally isn't a fair race for the ZL1 1LE. That is just how impressive the ZR1 is. As incredibly awesome as the Z-LE is, the ZR1 makes it look slow. GM is not letting anything touch the ZR1.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #19
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Correct. Anyone who says otherwise does not watch racing. Particularly on this smaller track, 3 seconds is big. Did someone here actually think a car that weighs significantly more with less power would have any other result?
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #20
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
I still think it's an even race with both running the manual trans. Besides being easier just having a go and stop pedal there are 4 more gears to help out ALONG with a 100 more hp. Same drivers, Same cars but both with 3 pedals, a steering wheel, and a shifter and I believe the pendulum may swing the other direction. I think it's a drivers race then. Until proven wrong, that's my $.02

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #21
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Those tires were on it only for the photo session. On the track they ran a new set of the sock tires. Here is what they said in their comment on the video:

"There were some rumors that we didn't use the Goodyear tire on the ZL1 1LE for the test. That's not true! We used the Michelin Cup 2 tire only for the photo shooting and a set of brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R for the whole test including the lap time. Why was the ZR1 as fast as Z06? The outside temperature was much higher than the temperature on the day we tested the Z06. You can read the whole story in new sport auto 8/2018."
Bummer. When I first looked at that video that clarification was not there. That being said I wonder how close it would be with a manual zr1 a 250 pound passenger (i say 250 because it would be a stretch to get someone with the actual weight difference between the two cars in a zr1) in the zr1 and 105 more hp in the zl1 1le
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
I still think it's an even race with both running the manual trans. Besides being easier just having a go and stop pedal there are 4 more gears to help out ALONG with a 100 more hp. Same drivers, Same cars but both with 3 pedals, a steering wheel, and a shifter and I believe the pendulum may swing the other direction. I think it's a drivers race then. Until proven wrong, that's my $.02
Wow, allot of things wrong with this statement. Going to first start with saying the ZR1 has an 8 speed, not a 10 speed so there are not 4 more gears. Your basically stating that a car with less power and more weight is the same or even faster if they change to a manual? People have to remember, there are always cars faster than your own car. I am not a hater either, I drive a ZL1 but you can't argue with physics.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

https://www.motor1.com/news/252461/c...o-time-attack/

Scroll down a little bit below the main video link.

I'll quote it for you here:

"The Corvette is on a definite advantage on this one just by looking at the performance figures. Although, the Corvette has a 10-speed automatic transmission installed, compared to the six-speed stick of the Camaro. That could add some weight to the Corvette."

So I may be wrong, but the organization providing this research on the difference between the two, is the one that is has the incorrect statement.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #24
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/252461/c...o-time-attack/

Scroll down a little bit below the main video link.

I'll quote it for you here:

"The Corvette is on a definite advantage on this one just by looking at the performance figures. Although, the Corvette has a 10-speed automatic transmission installed, compared to the six-speed stick of the Camaro. That could add some weight to the Corvette."

So I may be wrong, but the organization providing this research on the difference between the two, is the one that is has the incorrect statement.
They are wrong. The 10-speed doesn't fit in the corvette.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #25
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Wow, allot of things wrong with this statement. Going to first start with saying the ZR1 has an 8 speed, not a 10 speed so there are not 4 more gears. Your basically stating that a car with less power and more weight is the same or even faster if they change to a manual? People have to remember, there are always cars faster than your own car. I am not a hater either, I drive a ZL1 but you can't argue with physics.
I am also, not fully convinced the ZR1 has the best handling dynamics of the two cars. Sometimes a better balanced car, with a more appropriate hp level for a given track, can prevail over a higher HP car. If you've ever watched a PDR video from a ZL1, SS 1LE, or ZL1 1LE, you will constantly see the traction control light flicker even with 455 hp of the SS 1LE. So that being the case, the 105 hp is only the advantage once traction is sufficient to use it.

The ZR1 is awesome, and on a longer road coarse track where the ZR1 can stretch its legs and take advantage of its lighter weight and more power the difference will be even larger. However on a course like this which is tighter, and not as long of a straight, I dont think the HP and weight advantage is that much the determining factor. I believe it is the transmission. It is much easier to drive a 2 pedal car around a race track, than a 3 pedal one. Sorry to tell you, but that is just fact.

And I 100% understand and believe in physics. There are plenty of cars faster than mine, alot of them are on here. I am stock and plan to stay that way. If I had an unlimited supply of funds, I would be the fastest, cause Id buy my way there. And if I ever wasn't the fastest, I would by my way back to the top of the list.

But I am funds limited, and i enjoy my slow ZLE as much as I can.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #26
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
They are wrong. The 10-speed doesn't fit in the corvette.
So what's in the ZR1 - the 8 speed auto? That guy was not shifting for sure.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #27
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
So what's in the ZR1 - the 8 speed auto? That guy was not shifting for sure.
yes 8-speed.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #28
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Let’s be honest and fair. The ZR1 is king in GM right now. Period.