Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Village Idiot

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Might have a bad lifter: take it to dealer or wait for cam?

I've had an occasional tick on cold starts only that would go away after 45 seconds or so. At first I chalked it up to the DI but after the last two times it's happened I'm thinking it's got to be a lifter.

In 2-3 weeks (hopefully) the cars finally going in for heads/cam. At this point do I just park it and wait to drop it off? It'll be about a 250 mile trip + baseline dyno pulls. Or do I bring it to the dealer and probably fight with them to fix it? I had an appointment scheduled Saturday because I wanted to get the trans fluid done, but even if I had them look at it and they fix it I don't know how long it'll take.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
It likely is the high pressure fuel pump on start up and not a lifter.

And if it is indeed a bad lifter, it will be loud not just a tick.

Another possibility is a broken valve spring causing a noise. Someone else will need to chime in but I think there is a certain year that had valve spring problems.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
This is an easy one: take it to the dealer. You might be wrong about it being a lifter. The last thing you want to do is get the cam swap done and the tick is still there when you start it. Now you’re stock paying out of pocket to fix the tick because the dealer ain’t touching a cammed car.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
It likely is the high pressure fuel pump on start up and not a lifter.

And if it is indeed a bad lifter, it will be loud not just a tick.

Another possibility is a broken valve spring causing a noise. Someone else will need to chime in but I think there is a certain year that had valve spring problems.
Here's the video, probably should've linked this originally. It didn't seem like the fuel pump but I'm not an expert. It's echoing so it's a bit louder.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Man, that sounds pretty bad, like when my LS1 trans am ate a liffter.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
does the car ever misfire when its making that noise?

i can't really opine on what to do. i wouldn't take the car to the dealership regardless of what the issue is. sure sounds like it has a problem, though.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post

i can't really opine on what to do. i wouldn't take the car to the dealership regardless of what the issue is. sure sounds like it has a problem, though.
I've only driven it like 4 times since it started but it runs and drives 100%. It's just that first 45 seconds - 1 minute that's super loud. After that it's dead quiet.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post

Well, if it's under warranty you really have no choice. Otherwise if not under warranty I'd agree. Dealers cost a lot and most GM service places suck big time and would probably F something up.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Well, if it's under warranty you really have no choice. Otherwise if not under warranty I'd agree. Dealers cost a lot and most GM service places suck big time and would probably F something up.
Yeah it’ll be under warranty for a couple more weeks. I’m not too concerned with this dealer, they used to have a Camaro/Corvette performance division before they were bought out but they retained the techs and advisors.

I just wasn’t sure if it’d be stupid to park it and wait for my heads/cam appointment or if it’s worth the hassle of having them fix it before then.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #10
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Yeah it’ll be under warranty for a couple more weeks. I’m not too concerned with this dealer, they used to have a Camaro/Corvette performance division before they were bought out but they retained the techs and advisors.

I just wasn’t sure if it’d be stupid to park it and wait for my heads/cam appointment or if it’s worth the hassle of having them fix it before then.
I would if it's under warranty still. Just in case it's something major.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #11
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Here's the video, probably should've linked this originally. It didn't seem like the fuel pump but I'm not an expert. It's echoing so it's a bit louder.

Yeah I’d have it checked out. But honestly, I could not hear a metallic sound, definitively. It sounded a lot like the fuel pump.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Not a bad idea to have it checked out.

But I still think its the HPFP. Probably sounds louder because the car is in a garage.

The fact that it only makes the sound at startup for 45 seconds then goes away makes me 99% sure it is not a lifter and it the pump.

If is was a lifter, the sound would not go away.

Does it make this sound after the car is fully warmed up, you shut the car off, and then restart it? If so, its the pump.

I used to have a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline. It was one of the first GM vehicles to use direct injection. There was a TSB for it to add a high density foam insulator to surround the HPFP because so many people complained that the car has a bad lifter tick. It was just the pump.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
if its under warranty thats a simple answer then, have that fixed under warranty so while you are waiting for that heads/cam appointment you can still go out and enjoy the car without worrying of the problem progressing.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Not a bad idea to have it checked out.

But I still think its the HPFP. Probably sounds louder because the car is in a garage.

The fact that it only makes the sound at startup for 45 seconds then goes away makes me 99% sure it is not a lifter and it the pump.

If is was a lifter, the sound would not go away.

Does it make this sound after the car is fully warmed up, you shut the car off, and then restart it? If so, its the pump.

I used to have a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline. It was one of the first GM vehicles to use direct injection. There was a TSB for it to add a high density foam insulator to surround the HPFP because so many people complained that the car has a bad lifter tick. It was just the pump.
Only happens on the very first start of the day. Even if I start it and run the the gas station while it's still cold, it won't do it again on that next "cold" start.

If it really is the HPFP that sounds violent lol. I had GM DI system on a couple old cars and they weren't nearly this loud.