Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #43
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Good News!!

The manual stated to use a Dexos2 5w-40 oil for track use...OR...Valvoline SynPower MST 5w-40...well guess what?! The Valvoline 5w-40 is now Dexos2! (And currently 5.19/qt at NAPA)

Didn't realize till I picked up the bottles, today!

And the Angels sing...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #44
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Good News!!

The manual stated to use a Dexos2 5w-40 oil for track use...OR...Valvoline SynPower MST 5w-40...well guess what?! The Valvoline 5w-40 is now Dexos2! (And currently 5.19/qt at NAPA)

Didn't realize till I picked up the bottles, today!

Attachment 859899
5 quart jug for .65 per qt more shipped to your door free if you're prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZKC36S...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1027
Size:  38.3 KB
Old 03-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #45
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Attachment 860192
That's not Dexos2.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Attachment 860192
That'll work for the day-to-day...it's much tougher finding "cheap" 5w-40 Dexos2 for the track.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #47
Naturday13

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
That's not Dexos2.
How do you figure? It says it its Dexos 2 on the bottle.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturday13 View Post
How do you figure? It says it its Dexos 2 on the bottle.
No, it says Dexos1.

Dexos2 logo is blue. Dexos1 is green.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Naturday13

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
No, it says Dexos1.

Dexos2 logo is blue. Dexos1 is green.
Right on. Looked like it said "2Dexos" to me.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturday13 View Post
Right on. Looked like it said "2Dexos" to me.
Yeah, I can see that. It's got a goofy swirly graphic.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:23 AM   #51
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Hey guys, I have been following the issue with concern over the oil needed for the LT4 in the ZL1 - Basic understanding of what a "True" chemical base stock actually is would require far more information than can be explained in one simple message. However basically what happens is - that the oil is transformed from its liquid state to a gas under specific pressures and temperatures, then put back together by blasting the gas with monatomic hydrogen. Hence the term "Hydrocracked oil" this group of oils are called group 3, after group 3 you have group 4 PAO's and group 5 Ester's - there is tons of info available on this subject all over the net so do your research to understand it better. Here is a website that shows all oils that are actual Dexos 2

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2

Last edited by GTgamo; 03-26-2017 at 10:52 PM.
GTgamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #52
crossroaddemons

Drives: 1971 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
That'll work for the day-to-day...it's much tougher finding "cheap" 5w-40 Dexos2 for the track.
Would that be your top pick for Street use?
crossroaddemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #53
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroaddemons View Post
Would that be your top pick for Street use?
Well...I'm getting my first two oil changes done with dealer "Dexos" generic oil using the free So any of them will be better than that.

I read good things about Quaker State...Mobil 1's a solid go-to...Valvoline and Castrol are good...to be honest; where run of the mill 5w-30 Dexos1-certified oils are concerned...they're all good, I'll probably buy what's cheapest/on sale at the time.

Right now, I've got a stock of Mobil 1 5w-30 I found on sale. And for the Sonic (winter vehicle), I'm using Mobil 1 0W-30.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #54
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

Old 03-27-2017, 01:24 AM   #55
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Well...I'm getting my first two oil changes done with dealer "Dexos" generic oil using the free So any of them will be better than that.

I read good things about Quaker State...Mobil 1's a solid go-to...Valvoline and Castrol are good...to be honest; where run of the mill 5w-30 Dexos1-certified oils are concerned...they're all good, I'll probably buy what's cheapest/on sale at the time.

Right now, I've got a stock of Mobil 1 5w-30 I found on sale. And for the Sonic (winter vehicle), I'm using Mobil 1 0W-30.
So I have tried to follow this thread along with a couple other ZL1 oil threads and I am starting to get a little lost...whether you use a dexos 1 5w30...or if you use a dexos 2 5w40...as far as the warranty is concerned, does it really matter?

...and what are we suspecting dealers will be filling our LT4s with? dexos 1 or dexos 2?

...sorry one more question, so the way I am reading things Dexos 2 is better(?)...is there any harm in running that all the time? (track days and street) Dexos 2 is quite difficult to find. The Valvoline (thanks for the tip btw) has been the only thing I have found locally so far that is dexos 2 and honestly, I have never used Valvoline in any vehicle that I have ever owned, so my confidence is a little low. I am typically using Mobil 1, sometimes Castrol(mostly for bikes), so I am not that familiar of the quality of Valvoline...any experience using Valvoline Synthetic? any concerns there? Thanks for your thoughts...
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #56
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
So I have tried to follow this thread along with a couple other ZL1 oil threads and I am starting to get a little lost...whether you use a dexos 1 5w30...or if you use a dexos 2 5w40...as far as the warranty is concerned, does it really matter?
Dexos2 5W-40, OR 0W-40...are recommendations for track use only. This is due to the heat levels the engine experiences under a high-rev, high-load situation that occurs regularly during a track day.

For every other situation, use 5W-30. 5W-30 for gas engines in the US is only ever going to be Dexos1.

Quote:
...and what are we suspecting dealers will be filling our LT4s with? dexos 1 or dexos 2?
Dealers fill with 5W-30 Dexos1-rated oil. They buy it in bulk containers from GM. It used to be a synthetic blend, but we've heard recently that GM and ExxonMobile switched to a full-synthetic oil.

Quote:
...sorry one more question, so the way I am reading things Dexos 2 is better(?)...is there any harm in running that all the time? (track days and street) Dexos 2 is quite difficult to find. The Valvoline (thanks for the tip btw) has been the only thing I have found locally so far that is dexos 2 and honestly, I have never used Valvoline in any vehicle that I have ever owned, so my confidence is a little low. I am typically using Mobil 1, sometimes Castrol(mostly for bikes), so I am not that familiar of the quality of Valvoline...any experience using Valvoline Synthetic? any concerns there? Thanks for your thoughts...
There is nothing about the Dexos2 rating that makes an oil inherently "better" for the LT4. It's simply that the engineers recommend a 0W-40, or 5W-40 to withstand the high temperatures experienced on the track...and these oil weights will only ever be "Dexos2".

If you live and drive in a region that experiences cold temperatures, I wouldn't use 5W-40 due to the flow characteristics (it's a slightly "thicker" oil). But if it's always warm - it won't matter.

Under normal, everyday driving situations using 5W-40 vs 5W-30 in a GM gas engine...oil pressure may be a hair higher, and fuel economy will drop slightly with 5W-40.

Regarding Valvoline, I've never used the brand before, either. But - in reality, they're all very similar...and if GM called it out specifically in the manual...and it's Dexos2 rated...that works for me.

By the way, I'm far from an oil expert.......