Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
For those scared to drive their Camaro in the snow.

Remember this Video from 2010 that Chevy put out?

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 11-29-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Galts Disciple

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS (2SS, M6)
I hadn't seen that before, very cool
Rule #71: No excuses. Play like a champion!
Galts Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
With the right set of tires, my Z does better than my service truck. Amazing cars.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
firedruish

That video sealed the deal on my first camaro and it's right. Awesome awesome cars..just do them justice and give them the right tires. Just like horses..bad shoes equal no ride!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Not to put down the Camaro's snow handling abilities, but all these videos showing how cars deal with snow are all done in wide open spaces. There are never any other cars around or hills. Show me how your car (any car) handles the snow in real world conditions.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Scared?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Scared? Who is scared? Been driving in snow for 32 years, no fear here. But some cars are just better suited for snow and I choose to select the best vehicle for the conditions. My Camaro's stay warm and salt free in my heated shop for the winter. My year round DD is an SUV anyway, my Camaro's are toys.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Scared? Who is scared? Been driving in snow for 32 years, no fear here. But some cars are just better suited for snow and I choose to select the best vehicle for the conditions. My Camaro's stay warm and salt free in my heated shop for the winter. My year round DD is an SUV anyway, my Camaro's are toys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Scared?

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Not to put down the Camaro's snow handling abilities, but all these videos showing how cars deal with snow are all done in wide open spaces. There are never any other cars around or hills. Show me how your car (any car) handles the snow in real world conditions.
You guys are missing the point. Some people won't drive their Camaro in the snow because they are afraid they will get stuck. The video is only to demonstrate the Camaro is fully capable to go if you choose too.
If you perfer not to drive it in the snow then that's OK too.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Salt terrifies me snow not so much

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Had to pick my daughter up last night, temp was -35c with windchill, we received a lot of snow yesterday, roads covered, poor visibility. As I was waiting for her, in my camaro, I watched another car trying to get up the hill leading away from the station. Eventually it backed down and pulled to the side. My car made it up the hill no problem. Stopped at a 4 way, made it through the intersection, no problem.

My husband dropped our son off at hockey practice earlier in the evening, on his way home, he passed a lexus suv going up another hill, in reverse (idiot). Tires make all the difference, doesn't matter if it's a car, suv, truck, minivan...

We got snow prior to me switching over the tires. My camaro got parked, no way I'd drive it with the summers on. Winter....I'll keep saying it, different kind of fun!!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Not scared on bit, may even take a drive with the summer tires on still lol. Comes down to smart driving and when to drive it.
Ace0751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
1: If I could have a used base V6 model, I would tear it up in the snow, salt ,and ice..

2: I would never tear up a SS/RS, 1LE, ZL1, or a Z/28 in crappy snow, salt, and icy weather..

3: If I could only own one car, it wouldn't be a Camaro, to many better DD's out there for the money..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Agreed that wide open spaces vs. roads with slopes and curves are completely different animals. However, I live in alpine mountains, with winding, twisting, steep grades, and this Camaro does really well in the snow. Yes, I've been doin' it in one car or another for over 30 years now, so I'm pretty comfortable with snow/ ice driving. But, this car deserves a lot of the credit for its performance under those conditions.

I have gotten my best performance out of the stock, 18" BFGs, and out of some Kumho PA31s (I got a free set from the manufacturer, in exchange for providing my feedback on performance, and odometer evidence of tread mileage).

The ability to turn traction control on and off is a huge benefit... there is a time and place for each setting while in those conditions. The car is weighted well, and, for me, rear- wheel drive is the way to go (no offense, moms, grandmas, and suburbanites).

Yes, I have had some difficult situations in the Camaro--- EVERY vehicle eventually reaches its limit, if the driver keeps taking it farther and farther. And, yes, my 4X4 Suburban is better in winter conditions, especially in the deeper snow that requires greater ground clearance. But... as far as cars without chains go, in the snow: This thing is fun and capable and is NOT going to sit idly by when there's fun to be had!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
chris jd
chris jd

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT w/ RS - 6 Speed
What I have learned owning my Camaro this winter

From my experience reading various threads and owning my Camaro as my only DD in Upstate New York, it really depends on your budget if you want to drive through winter or not.

Can the Camaro handle snow?
-Yes, but you can't skimp out on good snow tires, you should put weight in the trunk (I put 120 lbs), and you can't drive like a maniac (DUH).
-I have yet to get stuck, lose traction dangerously, or feel like I could not stop/start efficiently with 5"+ fresh snow on the ground and on a few icy days.

Should you drive your Camaro in the snow?
-If you would prefer to maintain better paint by avoiding salt, no.
-If you can get a bigger vehicle instead to be your winter beater, no.

But if you are in my position where I really just want to own one vehicle year-round, then go for it. I put 4 Goodyear WRTs with 17" Diameter rims and I am doing great in the snow now. I was scared at first, but after taking it to a parking lot first and then driving on roads, it does amazing with stopping, starting, simple maneuvering, but can lose traction (like any car) with aggressive cornering. I also wanted to negate some of the paint wear by deciding to get a wax job before winter hits and rinsing/washing 1x/week minimum. Some may call me crazy, but I love driving this Camaro, year-round!

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Images