Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 09-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #1
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Anyone ever use hyperdip?

What's up guys, I'm hoping to be hyperdipping my zl1 rims this weekend in white(weather willing) Does anyone have any experience with it? It's the new version of plastidip, which is supposed to be stronger and more chip resistant. Doing research on YouTube, all I see is its sprays thinner and can run compared to plastidip. My main concern really is getting between the spokes. Should I hit it from the backside to prevent visible running? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I'm doing it to see if I like how they look white before I commit to real paint. Hoping it will last a bit for me to save up though.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Booher

Figured I'd add an update for anyone in the future. I had white on my rims for about 2 weeks and omg did they get dirty. Went to wash them and the grease seemed to stick on the rims, even when brushing. Only way was to run my finger along the surface. I believe that was user error. I had 2 defective cans so didn't have enough to do the final coats. I needed a smooth laat coat, its kind of rough to the touch. Had to do tons of coats to get in between the rims. So unfortunately, I'm in the process of peeling them off now. I would definrtly recomeend hyperdip, just very hard to do zl1 rims as the spokes don't go to the back lip, If that makes sense. So peeling it off is pretty easy so far, minus the lugnut areas, still figuring that out. But, I used the pressure washer right up on it and wouldn't brake the paint. Scratched it hard with my nail and couldn't break it. I had to get a pice of hard plastic to scrape through it. So I'd say it's pretty durable.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Sounds like there was a learning curve at play here, but also that you'll get better coverage the next time around, and that the stuff does seem to hang in there pretty good. Nice effort! Not easy!

Get a pic of the whole car with the wheels (obviously) visible; would enjoy seeing how the white is set off by, and/or sets off the body color.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:56 AM   #4
Booher

Oh yah definitely, it sprays more like paint than plastidip. Tbh, I may just get em powdercoated, but I'm nervous about horror stories of powdercoating forged wheels. Somehow powdercoating is much cheaper than painting, that suprised me.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I recently did mine, not sure I'd do it again. It didn't turn out to be very durable and it was a lot of labor. I don't think it's going hold up to a tire change.
Old 10-08-2023, 11:03 AM   #6
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Looks *very* cool with the other white accents on the car. And, I'm guessing, rather unique.
'94 ST1100 146K

Last edited by The Chief (tm); 10-08-2023 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Add second sentence.
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 12:05 PM   #7
Booher

Did you try the hyperdip or plastidip? I had 5 coats on the rims as well, I know with plastidip I can cut with my fingernails, this stuff I could not. But yes, takes forever, i think I had 14 hours in mine, most was prepwork though. It all peeled off pretty easy, besides where the lug nuts are and in betweem the spokes becauae it was hard to get coverage behind the spokes. Thankyou chief, my 17 ss krypton green got totaled last yr and been trying to come up with something I liked. That green ruined me, that's all I want now hah, hence the profile pic not matching my current car. I will say, this is starting to come together and I'm starting to really like this car now. Just doesn't look right now back to factory color lol
Old 10-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #8
DaveC113

I used a Hyperdip kit, brass monkey but it's too silver anyways, should've got gold bronze but I'm definitely not doing this again. I have another set of Apex wheels that are matte bronze, going to look into getting my dipped wheels painted a similar color, or maybe I'll just use an actual permanent wheel paint.

The wheels I dipped are for AutoX and the dip just isn't quite durable enough.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
Looks really good with your color and graphics
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #10
Booher

Ahh, I gotcha, definitely alot of work, that's for sure. Heck yah, I love bronze rims, that's what I wanted till I got this car. I don't think this color could pull it off. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, tried it, but now want to get them painted hah. It's still good to try and at least see how it looks on your car. Maybe we just put in too much time and effort into it, lol. Thanks Chris!
Old 10-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #11
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Ahh, I gotcha, definitely alot of work, that's for sure. Heck yah, I love bronze rims, that's what I wanted till I got this car. I don't think this color could pull it off. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, tried it, but now want to get them painted hah. It's still good to try and at least see how it looks on your car. Maybe we just put in too much time and effort into it, lol. Thanks Chris!
Yeah, it's nice to try it out and see what it looks like, the colors look good but it's not going to survive a lot of wheel/tire changes and cleaning them might be difficult to accomplish without damage. It's more labor than I thought it would be too.

White looks great on your car though, I'd definitely consider permanently painting them white. I'm going to get a couple of quotes, another fellow SCCA member just bought a wheel repair and refinishing business. OTOH they are satin black from the factory, a bit boring but it looks ok...
Old 10-08-2023, 08:40 PM   #12
Booher

I didn't think of the wheel changes, that makes complete sense.