Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #57
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert corbin View Post
I bought my '17 black 2SS coupe in July of '17. Of the 35 brand new GM cars that I've purchased since graduating from college in 1970- this car is the best. 17 of the 35 have been manuals, 4 were Z28s, 4 were Corvettes (all 8 were sticks). The panel fit and paint job on this car are both superb. The red leather seats always get a "thumbs up" for their contrast with the black paint outside. (The women are back!!!) The clutch takeup is perfect. I could not be happier. It is the PERFECT car for me at age 70. The first time at the drag strip last summer- I beat a '16 5 liter Mustang GT in the 4th round of eliminations. The poor kid was crushed! His whole identity was that car. (Next time I'll let him win!) My Camaro was going to be a DD, but after the 1st two weeks of ownership, I realized that it's a keeper. Its now 13 months old and is 4100 miles from new. It sits next to my '13 Corvette 427 convertible in the garage. The 'Vette is nearly a second and 9MPH faster in the quarter mile, but structurally the Camaro is a much tighter car, and turns just as many heads. Yesterday at breakfast, I was parked next to a guy driving a brand new Subaru WRX STi. Turns out, he is 82!! We both favorably commented on each other's cars and agreed that most other "oldsters" are now driving Camrys and Accords. My theory is: Life is short- drive something worth driving.

It's been quite the pleasure to read this. Thank you, Sir.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #58
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
i daily drive my camaro.. put about 80 miles a day (mostly highway driving). no complaints. only thing i need to do is the seat recline mod so i can nap in it during lunch break lol ..
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #59
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
My 2ss is my daily (except when raining because of water spots on black) and I love every mile. Planned to buy vette but because of major back issues my wife could not get in. She can easily get in and out of the 6th gen camaro and seats very comfortable . Handles extremely well , great suspension and steering. Would advise getting blind spot monitoring (part of 2ss package). Also magnetic ride control was worth the cost for me. Premium gas can be costly on weekly basis but I consider it part of my entertainment budget. Driving this car after 2 years and 15,000 miles is something i look forward to every day. Love taking to local car shows as well. So far have been very happy with the A8 but considering upgrading to A10 once I can adjust to the 2019 refresh. You may want to get an '18. Pull the trigger and add new excitement to your day.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #60
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert corbin View Post
I bought my '17 black 2SS coupe in July of '17. Of the 35 brand new GM cars that I've purchased since graduating from college in 1970- this car is the best. 17 of the 35 have been manuals, 4 were Z28s, 4 were Corvettes (all 8 were sticks). The panel fit and paint job on this car are both superb. The red leather seats always get a "thumbs up" for their contrast with the black paint outside. (The women are back!!!) The clutch takeup is perfect. I could not be happier. It is the PERFECT car for me at age 70. The first time at the drag strip last summer- I beat a '16 5 liter Mustang GT in the 4th round of eliminations. The poor kid was crushed! His whole identity was that car. (Next time I'll let him win!) My Camaro was going to be a DD, but after the 1st two weeks of ownership, I realized that it's a keeper. Its now 13 months old and is 4100 miles from new. It sits next to my '13 Corvette 427 convertible in the garage. The 'Vette is nearly a second and 9MPH faster in the quarter mile, but structurally the Camaro is a much tighter car, and turns just as many heads. Yesterday at breakfast, I was parked next to a guy driving a brand new Subaru WRX STi. Turns out, he is 82!! We both favorably commented on each other's cars and agreed that most other "oldsters" are now driving Camrys and Accords. My theory is: Life is short- drive something worth driving.
Awesome post and great story - you're certainly in the minority when it comes to 70 year olds. I give you a ton of credit for doing it your way!

7 more years and I'll be at 70 myself. I have no plans on slowing down either. I've been doing HPDE track days since 2007 and can't wait to get my SS on the track.

But back to the topic of this post - you say your original intention was that the Camaro would be your daily driver, but after two weeks you decided to keep it low mileage and I assume clean. So it begs the question, what is your daily driver?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #61
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
My 2SS has the Recaros in it, and other than needing to take my wallet out for a long drive, they're comfortable. I had 450km drive home after I bought the car, lol.

The clutch will take me a lot of getting used to... I'm used to my big rig at work, lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #62
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Also in Arizona (South Chandler). I DD mine and love it, puts a smile on my face every time. I do ~ 25 miles, all in city, on my work days. 3/4 day rotating weeks. Fuel economy is not great during the summer with AC on full blast constantly, ~ 17- 18 mpg. More like 20-21 the rest of the year. I got the 2SS with ALL the extra's. On the hottest days the seat ventilation is only marginally helpfull, cooled would have been better. I also use the remote start app daily.

I had a C5 Corvette DD that I sold to get the wife a new SUV and I drove her Mazda 6, nice car but boring. Traded it for the SS and couldn't be happier. (Well I'd be happier if I could also have kept my vette....

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #63
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwright4 View Post
My 2ss is my daily (except when raining because of water spots on black) and I love every mile. Planned to buy vette but because of major back issues my wife could not get in. She can easily get in and out of the 6th gen camaro and seats very comfortable . Handles extremely well , great suspension and steering. Would advise getting blind spot monitoring (part of 2ss package). Also magnetic ride control was worth the cost for me. Premium gas can be costly on weekly basis but I consider it part of my entertainment budget. Driving this car after 2 years and 15,000 miles is something i look forward to every day. Love taking to local car shows as well. So far have been very happy with the A8 but considering upgrading to A10 once I can adjust to the 2019 refresh. You may want to get an '18. Pull the trigger and add new excitement to your day.
Is premium gas required?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #64
4door65guy

Drives: 2016 2SS MAG/NPP
I drive mine about 4 days a week and that is just to save gas. Seriously once you drive it for like an hour and get comfortable with it its just as easy as any other car to daily drive.
4door65guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #65
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Is premium gas required?
From what I see the recommendation is yes. The manual says 87 can be used but if knocking is heard stop and go higher.

I'm using premium from Costco and that price-point is really similar or less than local 87 sellers. The mileage is really good overall low to midish 20's so I have no issue with it.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #66
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
From what I see the recommendation is yes. The manual says 87 can be used but if knocking is heard stop and go higher.

I'm using premium from Costco and that price-point is really similar or less than local 87 sellers. The mileage is really good overall low to midish 20's so I have no issue with it.
Interesting. Ok, thank you!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #67
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
Do you guys think it is still drivable in ohio winters with proper tires? My commute is about 20 miles a day and I have been thinking getting a SS for a while and I feel like I might find a good deal on leftover 17s and 18s at the end of this year.
I have a set of Blizzaks for winter and I drive it every day around the Chicago area, all winter. In fact, it's the preferred car for our household during bad winter weather, it's way better than the Missus' Focus is...

It's the best car I've ever driven in snow, of course every other car I've driven in snow has been shit...
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #68
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner View Post
I have a set of Blizzaks for winter and I drive it every day around the Chicago area, all winter. In fact, it's the preferred car for our household during bad winter weather, it's way better than the Missus' Focus is...

It's the best car I've ever driven in snow, of course every other car I've driven in snow has been shit...
Better than a front wheel drive focus? There is no way.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #69
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
All of my friends at local car shows use premium . I used 87 once or twice but went back to 93 for fear of pinging. Manual also recommends Top Tier brands. I like Shell but only 1 station 15 miles away. Shell has a discount card where some stations offer 20 cents off 1 day a week. I use Exxon a lot as well. Not sure if Costco is top tier or not. There is a list on line of Top Tier brands and the why behind it.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #70
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwright4 View Post
All of my friends at local car shows use premium . I used 87 once or twice but went back to 93 for fear of pinging. Manual also recommends Top Tier brands. I like Shell but only 1 station 15 miles away. Shell has a discount card where some stations offer 20 cents off 1 day a week. I use Exxon a lot as well. Not sure if Costco is top tier or not. There is a list on line of Top Tier brands and the why behind it.
Yes, costco is top tier: https://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

On the Shell card, in my area, I can tie one of the local supermaket rewards programs to the Shell fuel rewards and get cheaper gas by buying groceries that I need anyway. Might be worth looking into. In my case, this is Stop & Shop.